Dan Wietzel Article on NHL's in Olympics

mrjsbu96

This dude is an idiot... (not you, the reporter)

"we don't care"?

check out rankings of hockey in the olympics. After the usa/latvia game, every site, espn.com, foxsports, cbs sportsline... all had on the front page US Hockey.

They didn't do it just for the sake of doing it, they put the news that matters to the majority of the people.

USA tied, not because they didn't care, because they underestimated a very good skating team, that works REAL HARD and plays behind a very good goalie.

Hmm.... sounds like the Buffalo Sabres to me.

If you think USA is just sucking their thumbs in Torino and could careless about wins and loses, you're so off.

This dude is an idiot... (not you, the reporter)

"we don't care"?

check out rankings of hockey in the olympics. After the usa/latvia game, every site, espn.com, foxsports, cbs sportsline... all had on the front page US Hockey.

They didn't do it just for the sake of doing it, they put the news that matters to the majority of the people.

USA tied, not because they didn't care, because they underestimated a very good skating team, that works REAL HARD and plays behind a very good goalie.

Hmm.... sounds like the Buffalo Sabres to me.

If you think USA is just sucking their thumbs in Torino and could careless about wins and loses, you're so off.

but the only reason that it was on the front page of those sites you pointed out is b/c they tied a third world country.

i admire how hard the latvians played but we never should have tied that hockey team. and since that is the the guys that are there, i am rooting for them, but i would be so much more behind a non-nhl team then i am this team, as i think would be the case with many other people.

they also tied b/c they were tied and don't know each other.

but the only reason that it was on the front page of those sites you pointed out is b/c they tied a third world country.

Uh... Latvia is not a third world country.

i admire how hard the latvians played but we never should have tied that hockey team.  and since that is the the guys that are there, i am rooting for them, but i would be so much more behind a non-nhl team then i am this team, as i think would be the case with many other people.

Everyone likes to root for the underdog, but when it comes to your own country, I don't have varying degrees of how much I support the team.

they also tied b/c they were tied and don't know each other.

They tied because they were tied? And all along I thought it meant something else. ;)

Uh... Latvia is not a third world country.

Everyone likes to root for the underdog, but when it comes to your own country, I don't have varying degrees of how much I support the team.

They tied because they were tied? And all along I thought it meant something else. ;)

sorry, next time I will not use sarcasm and I promise to check my grammar so tied, does not get mistaken for tired.

thanks for the help!

sorry, next time I will not use sarcasm and I promise to check my grammar so tied, does not get mistaken for tired.

thanks for the help!

I honestly didn't think you meant tired. As far as sarcasm is concerned, it can be quite often hard to read sarcasm as such on forums without some sort of emoticon, such as the wink in my previous post.

i think this guy's a douchebag. in my opinion these are like legitimate all-star games only much better, because the players actually DO care. plus, you add a sheet of ice big enough for the players to actually skate on, and the product is AWESOME. after watching thse games, i am convinced the nhl should force every team to knock the first 6 rows of their arenas so we can give these boys some room to operate!

the whole thing is a great showcase for nhl talent and i am enjoying it thoroughly.

I think calling this guy an idiot is moronic.

He brings up some good points. I mean face it, we all love hockey, but it's nothing like it used to be and it never got that high in ratings anyway. Hockey is a punchline to most of the USA. Olympic hockey is one of my favorite things ever and I really don't have an opinion on using NHLers in the games because I see both sides... they're the best, but then again, they don't have time to form team bonds.

I do think, however, that we won't win a medal this year and I hope to god I'm wrong because nothing gives me more joy than a Canada vs USA gold medal game. But really, Latvia tied us because they played as a team. You can have the BEST players in the world and if they're playing alone they will not beat a TEAM. I'm not saying the USA are being selfish players, but really, they spend months being enemies on the ice and the monday after the NHL takes it's break on Sunday (That's ONE day) they're a team with their first game on wednesday.. that leaves ONE DAY to come together, get over jet-lag etc.. and don't forget half our team had trouble getting to Italy in the first place because of the weather.

I don't know how to solve this problem either.. with using NHL players it'd be almost impossible to get team USA camps going... the only time would be the summer and the players almost NEED that time to recoupperate... especially if their team goes deep into the playoffs.

Don't forget our Olympic Hockey program is in a transition period as well, we don't have THAT many guys with international experience.. Almost all of Canada's players played together at some point on a national team, whether it was last Olympics or a National Junior team. And really, the nation of Canada cares wayyyy more than the average citizen of the USA.

I mean really, if you asked people walking down the street how the US Olympic Hockey team was doing you'd probably get a lot of... "uhhh, I don't know."

I guess this whole thing was saying the guy isn't an idiot. His love for hockey shows through and he's speaking in general about the people of the united states. We're all here because we love hockey but you can't tell me that Hockey is the forerunner in anything.. it's on OLN for christ's sake.

Archived