Nice Jersey win, But

Allan in MD

Going into the playoffs, if we don't fix the giveaways in our own end, we're dead meat. This has been a problem all year and the Jersey game illuminated it once again. As the announcers said, a continual problem is that the forwards are frequently not breaking away from coverage to accept passes from the defensemen bringing up the puck. The d'men therefore, basically, have no one open to get the puck to and it frequently winds up on the opposition's stick as the d'men attempt to force something.

If the forwards are not open, dump the puck softly (to avoid icing it) and hustle to retrieve it, instead of trying to force it to somebody who won't be able to receive the pass or control it. It's also known as breaking the trap.

I thought the boys played very well tonight. The fact is, hockey is a game of mistakes and NO TEAM can go without making some. NJ is a very good system team and forced some problems. They are an NHL team after all.

Solid win. In the playoffs nobody cares who scores, how it gets done, etc, as long as they win. We won and I'm happy with it.

We're still shorthanded in bodies but still lead the NHL in points.

If we get out of the first round (the scariest round) then we will win the Cup! (Barring injuries like last year)

Going into the playoffs, if we don't fix the giveaways in our own end, we're dead meat. This has been a problem all year and the Jersey game illuminated it once again. As the announcers said, a continual problem is that the forwards are frequently not breaking away from coverage to accept passes from the defensemen bringing up the puck. The d'men therefore, basically, have no one open to get the puck to and it frequently winds up on the opposition's stick as the d'men attempt to force something.

If the forwards are not open, dump the puck softly (to avoid icing it) and hustle to retrieve it, instead of trying to force it to somebody who won't be able to receive the pass or control it. It's also known as breaking the trap.

It did look like Mighty Marty was fighting the puck. As R&J pointed out he misplayed or whiffed on a lot of the shoot ins behind the net.

To your initial point. I think teams are making a concentrated to eliminate the gap between their defense and the Sabres forwards. It's a sound strategy that relies on Sabre turnovers to create offense. This is where the Sabres transition game becomes even more important. Like the Paille goal and the Kotalik goal that quick transition from defense to offense doesn't give time for teams to set up defensively.

They say speed kills. So the Sabres speed has to become a ride home from Danny Heatley in the playoffs.

Let's just all soak in a good win against a good team. Mistakes happen. It's a game, but they won, didn't they? Didn't you go to bed happy, wake up happy and will probably get through today happy? When good things happen, let them happen. Don't dwell on negatives. It'll eat you up.

They say speed kills. So the Sabres speed has to become a ride home from Danny Heatley in the playoffs.

You do have a way with words. Can't say I would've gone there, but it certainly 'drives' the point home.

interesting that when lindy promised the fans a better effort from now on, he said something to the effect of "it might not happen all at once, but it's going to happen." i guess last night's game fits that statement. i would imagine the guys got an earful during the 1st intermission.

Archived