[Sabre Rattling]Welcome Back to the NHL Ty Conklin

SabresBeat

Conkiln Shines in First Start as a Sluggo

Biron Never Seriously in Panthers Sights

âThey threw everything at the net. He made big saves to keep us in the game in the first period. He won the game for us.â

– Jochen Hecht on Ty Conklin

Hecht’s statement highlights a couple of things about the game last [...]

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?p=442

It was a solid plan, the only problem was Ty Conklin wasn?t letting up rebounds.

Were we watching the same game? I thought the fact that Conklin gave up so many juicy rebounds was a major contributor to the high shot total. Shots seem to bounce off him from all angles, only to end up in slot between the circles.

Yeah, he played a helluva game, but he made it hard on himself with all the rebounds.

I will say though, that as the game went on, his rebound control seemed to improve.

Were we watching the same game? I thought the fact that Conklin gave up so many juicy rebounds was a major contributor to the high shot total. Shots seem to bounce off him from all angles, only to end up in slot between the circles.

Yeah, he played a helluva game, but he made it hard on himself with all the rebounds.

I will say though, that as the game went on, his rebound control seemed to improve.

I've been saying the same to myself. Despite what the media has said, there seemed to be a lot of rebounds. What helped him was most of his rebounds were very soft rebounds that were mostly the result of failing to catch the puck cleanly either with the glove or against his chest, rather than the hard, long rebounds that tend to result off the leg pads. Most of the rebounds stayed within Conklin's reach where he quickly flopped on them. The defenseman also did a very good job of clearly out rebounds immediately. What I liked about Conklin was that he seemed to be in very good position all night and had great reflexes, both of which mitigate any problems he might've had with rebounds.

Archived