Head Shots - Make 'Em Illegal

FGD59

I'm convinced the league is encouraging/telling/instructing the refs to swallow their whistles more.

We've seen the small grabs and the increased stick work that were plenties last year. When it comes to headshots it has to stop from a rule standpoint. Connelly and Umberger had their head way down and I undersatnd that is hard to avoid and probably unenforcable but if I guy is upright his head should be off limits.

Now I know from the NFL helmet-to-helmet means different things for QB's versus Running Backs and that someone will get screwed. But the point is with most guys wearing hardened plastic body armour and most players weighing over 200 Lbs the force of the blows has increased.

And why as a sport and business not protect your product - Your stars? To the owners the players are just meat and the players have less respect for each other being convinced it'll always be they other guy.

It should not be about injury or intent it should be if you hit the guy in the head.

personally i think they should have got rid of all the oletimer refs when thay got back from the lockout. Bring in fresh blood tell them this is how you call the game and no other way. Then there wouldn't be a problem with the ole timers still putting the whistle away.

And ya it does make sense that they should at least fine players for blows to the head. But you would still have to make it a case by case thing cause there is a huge difference in say the 2 hits ottawa has put on sabres (connolly and Drury) Connelly ducked down to try and avoid the hit and toke it in the head, were as Drury was up right and got blindsided to the head.

It all goes back to Bettman, the competition committee, and colin campbell's TOTAL disconnect from how the game is played. Bettman, well that's obvious, but Campbell is perhaps worse because for years he has had the most ass-backwards system in handing out fines/suspensions in the history of sports. As a former player, you'd think he would know better. He hit rock bottom last year when Erik Cole was drilled into the boards from behind, breaking his neck, and the guy that hit him (Brooks Orpik) only got 3 games! What kind of a message does that send??? Then throw the instigator penalty that has somehow survived all these years on top of it, and the league sends the message that they'd rather see someone cheapshot another player than square up and fight like a man. Same applies here with the headshots. Until the league sets up mandatory minimum penalties, this debate will go on and on and on. Funny, though, that if this happened to poster child Sidney Crosby, I doubt we'd be having this discussion because the league would crack down.

Same applies here with the headshots. Until the league sets up mandatory minimum penalties, this debate will go on and on and on. Funny, though, that if this happened to poster child Sidney Crosby, I doubt we'd be having this discussion because the league would crack down.

Funny, I'm almost at the point where I'm FOR someone taking Sid's head off with a cheapshot, just to get the league's attention.

Of course this is just frustration talking. I think Sid is a crybaby beyond belief, but apart from that wouldn't want to see him get hurty like Drury.

He hit rock bottom last year when Erik Cole was drilled into the boards from behind, breaking his neck, and the guy that hit him (Brooks Orpik) only got 3 games!

Don't forget that when Vanek took the exact same shot from a Cane in the playoffs... no suspension at all. I guess you have to break your neck to draw a suspension.

I am not a fan of the Sabres but of hockey. You guys are playing great and got a star hurt. He got caught admiring a pass. I have looked at the hit in slow-mo and it wasnt cheap and wasnt dirty. Dont get caught up in the excitement of having a star ( and he is and has been a real,real good player) get hurt and call for me rules to the game. I dont agree with protecting the " stars", protect everyone the same way. Hockey is a contact sport and if someone doesnt like it or doesnt want to get hit, there is always Golf.

I am not a fan of the Sabres but of hockey. You guys are playing great and got a star hurt. He got caught admiring a pass. I have looked at the hit in slow-mo and it wasnt cheap and wasnt dirty. Dont get caught up in the excitement of having a star ( and he is and has been a real,real good player) get hurt and call for me rules to the game. I dont agree with protecting the " stars", protect everyone the same way. Hockey is a contact sport and if someone doesnt like it or doesnt want to get hit, there is always Golf.

Nice. Now go back to the Ottawa boards.

I am not a fan of the Sabres but of hockey. You guys are playing great and got a star hurt. He got caught admiring a pass. I have looked at the hit in slow-mo and it wasnt cheap and wasnt dirty.

Watch the game, he took a shot looking for the deflection, he didn't make a pass. The puck goes through the slot, ends up loose in the corner. Yeah, I'm sure he'd admire that.

Take the time to know of what you speak next time.

We have 10 other like you here, debating things they obviously didn't take the time to examine closely enough to make the distinction between a pass and a shot, so don't be suprised when you get told to get your facts straight before wasting our time.

I don't believe for a second you watched this incident more than once, when you can't even tell the difference between a pass and a shot. Even if you did, when you obviously can't tell said difference, then who are you to judge if a hit is clean or dirty? Goodbye.

Archived