Nice to see hockey players take time to make someone happy

rickshaw

Hockey players are often proclaimed to be the most humble and classiest athletes of the major sports. I am wondering what it is that makes this the case. I can already think of certain factors, be it socio-economic, etc. that could lead to flaming about the topic, but is there something to the fact that all the other sports are filled with a majority of american youths compared to hockey which has more of a canadian/european talent base?

Hockey players are often proclaimed to be the most humble and classiest athletes of the major sports. I am wondering what it is that makes this the case. I can already think of certain factors, be it socio-economic, etc. that could lead to flaming about the topic, but is there something to the fact that all the other sports are filled with a majority of american youths compared to hockey which has more of a canadian/european talent base?

No.

My guess is it most likely the "team" mentality that is so much more prevelent in hockey. In baseball, it is one man against nine, so one guy can say, "I won that game." In football, it is more like 2 teams, both loaded with bloated egos. They make tackles, touchdowns, receptions or passes and get up, throw thier arms out to the sides or pound thier chests and say, "Look at me!" Basketball is the same way. One guy can make big plays or "win it." NBA'ers are the biggest egos I have ever seen of all the major sports. In hockey you need to rely on the team working as one. When a guy makes a great goal, he is surrounded by teammates congratulating him, followed by a skate to the bench where every player gives him a knuckle tap. Players credit the rest of the team for the win and downplay thier role.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule: Michael Jordan was as humble and classy as any hockey player I've seen. Andre Reed seemed pretty humble too.

I honestly believe this is really the reason behind this.

I think too it is socio-economical... AND PERCEPTION...

Then again... What about youth hockey? Wasn't there a story a view years back (in MA) about a coach and a father (or something like that) and one person getting beat to death? Forget the story... But... Remind my sister-law (she lives in or near the community) when she gets all pious about how holy their area near Boston is...

Sure I will get flamed for this... But, some of the biggest, bratiest a-holes I knew growing up played hockey...

Pro case in point... Look at Hasek... Credits his parents and all for taking him to the rink in the wee hours of the morning and all... And still is one of the biggest +40 year brats on the planet...

It all starts at the adult stage and effects the youth... Makes you wonder why you see a whole littany of "conduct" signs hung around your local rink?

Just some food for thought... Not meant to get heated... There is a lot of good coming out of the game and the topic of the thread is one of many... Way to go RL!

Archived