Connelly in Rochester 'til Playoffs?

wudden

I've heard rumblings of people saying that once the playoffs start, the salary cap thing goes out the window. If this is true, we could potentially sit Spacek until the playoffs start, bring in a Defensemen with a similar salary, and have 8 healthy defensemen when the playoffs start. Brilliant? Dumb? You tell me...

Other idea, is to sit Connelly until Playoffs as well, but lend him to the Amerks for conditioning until then.

Again, brilliant or dumb? Theres probably a fine line.

I've heard rumblings of people saying that once the playoffs start, the salary cap thing goes out the window. If this is true, we could potentially sit Spacek until the playoffs start, bring in a Defensemen with a similar salary, and have 8 healthy defensemen when the playoffs start. Brilliant? Dumb? You tell me...

Other idea, is to sit Connelly until Playoffs as well, but lend him to the Amerks for conditioning until then.

Again, brilliant or dumb? Theres probably a fine line.

As soon as Connolly accepts a conditioning assignment to the AHL, his BLTI-IR salary cap exemption goes bye-bye.

Although, in another way to save under the cap, Sabres could deal for like a Brad Brown, keep him in Rochester til playoffs and then they can call him up as a #9....

IF the Sabres make a trade in the next couple of weeks, that is the sort of deal I'd expect to see. Picking up a borderline NHL/AHLer that reaches UFA status next year and would likely want to explore his options with another team in the offseason. (Basically, looking for a player who's situation is similar to where Janik was last year.)

It would cost the Sabres minimally (they'd probably end up giving up someone like Ryan or maybe a mid-round draft pick (3rd or 4th)) and having a #8 they're comfortable with would allow the Sabres to go 9 deep before true panic mode sets in. (IMHO, as long as they only have 1 guy they REALLY don't trust out there, they can limit his role enough to let the other 5 carry the water; it's when they get to 2 or 3 guys they don't trust that the wheels begin to wobble and maybe fall off.)

Prior to Gaustad going down, I didn't expect the Sabres to bring in any forwards. Now that their main source of grit is gone I could see them try to bring in a Roberts type player (although I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in someone cheaper and actually would be a little surprised to see a $2MM+ player such as Roberts).

Archived