All Star question

Bmwolf21

For entertainment purposes only...

While watching the game last night, I started thinking about who I would like to see in a Sabres uniform. I was wondering who you guys have on your wish lists - you can include both one or two players that the Sabres could realistically add, and one or two that are pure wish-list, "no-way-it-would-ever-happen-but-it-would-be-cool-if-it-did."

Mine are:

Could see it happening:

Bouwmeester - Love to add him, I think he is a more consistent version of Kalinin

Guerin - Could be playoff grit, affordable ($2M), and still has 18-13-31 on a marginal St. Louis team

Shanahan - Little more expensive ($4M), and probably should be in the wishful thinking category, but I love the grit and leadership he brings, and would love to be able to pick him up for the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers will continue to slide out of the playoffs (currently tied for 8th) and will want to make a move...

Wish List:

Ovechkin, Crosby - Both franchise-type players that you can build around, and I don't mind paying extra for that type of player. How can the people in Washington not come out to watch AO play (averaging 13,100 at home and 17,900 on the road)?

Nash - Another young player who looks like he will be a franchise-type winger.

Phaneuf - I love Vanek's play, and I think he'll be a keeper, but Phaneuf looks like a long-time stud on the blueline.

For entertainment purposes only...

While watching the game last night, I started thinking about who I would like to see in a Sabres uniform. I was wondering who you guys have on your wish lists - you can include both one or two players that the Sabres could realistically add, and one or two that are pure wish-list, "no-way-it-would-ever-happen-but-it-would-be-cool-if-it-did."

Mine are:

Could see it happening:

Bouwmeester - Love to add him, I think he is a more consistent version of Kalinin

Guerin - Could be playoff grit, affordable ($2M), and still has 18-13-31 on a marginal St. Louis team

Shanahan - Little more expensive ($4M), and probably should be in the wishful thinking category, but I love the grit and leadership he brings, and would love to be able to pick him up for the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers will continue to slide out of the playoffs (currently tied for 8th) and will want to make a move...

Wish List:

Ovechkin, Crosby - Both franchise-type players that you can build around, and I don't mind paying extra for that type of player. How can the people in Washington not come out to watch AO play (averaging 13,100 at home and 17,900 on the road)?

Nash - Another young player who looks like he will be a franchise-type winger.

Phaneuf - I love Vanek's play, and I think he'll be a keeper, but Phaneuf looks like a long-time stud on the blueline.

Would you trade Briere for Nash?

If contracts weren't involved, and assuming we were most likely able to keep both Danny & Chris without losing some of the core players...probably not.

But knowing that Nash is locked up for three more years (signed a 5-year, $27M contract in August 2005) at pretty reasonable rates (going against what it might take to sign Danny) makes me think probably, yes. Nash gets $4.5M this year, $5.5M next year, followed by $6.5M (2008-09) and $7M (09-10) which could be a pretty reasonable salaries when those years come around.

(LINK)

He's younger (22) good size (6-4, 215) has decent speed, and tied for the league lead in goals in 03-04 (41); and Hitchcock is working to improve his game at both ends of the ice, so he's on the PK, on the ice late in the game, etc. The only thing that worries me is that he has been pretty banged up over the last 18 months or so - missed a few games here, a few games there, played only 54 games last year...his health is the only thing that really concerns me about his game.

If contracts weren't involved, and assuming we were most likely able to keep both Danny & Chris without losing some of the core players...probably not.

But knowing that Nash is locked up for three more years (signed a 5-year, $27M contract in August 2005) at pretty reasonable rates (going against what it might take to sign Danny) makes me think probably, yes. Nash gets $4.5M this year, $5.5M next year, followed by $6.5M (2008-09) and $7M (09-10) which could be a pretty reasonable salaries when those years come around.

(LINK)

He's younger (22) good size (6-4, 215) has decent speed, and tied for the league lead in goals in 03-04 (41); and Hitchcock is working to improve his game at both ends of the ice, so he's on the PK, on the ice late in the game, etc. The only thing that worries me is that he has been pretty banged up over the last 18 months or so - missed a few games here, a few games there, played only 54 games last year...his health is the only thing that really concerns me about his game.

Briere only played 48 in the regular season last year.

With Nash's size and scoring touch I would make the trade in a second. Even if Briere didn't have contract concerns.

It is amazing that he is 22 yet has 249 ( it would be over 320 if not for the lockout) NHL games under his belt. He has plenty of time to work on his backchecking. Briere being 29 seems at times unwilling to take his defensive responsibilities seriously.

You would like to be able to play your stars in any situation. That's why I would prefer Drury over Briere. For the asking price you need a complete player. Nash has the ability to be another Joe Sakic. He may even end up with 500 goals before his 30th birthday.

You don't have to sell me on him. People tend to forgt that he was only 19 when he shared the Rocket Richard Trophy in 03-04. He should only get better and better. especially if the Jackets find someone to feed him the puck...

My only concern with Nash's health was that it wasn't one big injury, like Danny's abdominal problem:

Jan 18, 2007: Missed 5 games (lower body injury).

Jan 6, 2007: Lower body injury, day-to-day.

Nov 24, 2006: Missed 2 games (groin).

Nov 19, 2006: Groin, day-to-day.

Dec 17, 2005: Missed 17 games (knee injury).

Nov 7, 2005: Knee injury, mid-December.

Nov 4, 2005: Knee injury, sidelined indefinitely.

Nov 1, 2005: Missed 11 games (ankle injury).

Oct 14, 2005: Ankle injury, early November.

Oct 7, 2005: Ankle injury, day-to-day.

You don't have to sell me on him. People tend to forgt that he was only 19 when he shared the Rocket Richard Trophy in 03-04. He should only get better and better. especially if the Jackets find someone to feed him the puck...

My only concern with Nash's health was that it wasn't one big injury, like Danny's abdominal problem:

I think that's all a result of Nash not being physically mature yet and his physical style of play. He'll learn as he gets older how take care of his body and how to absorb or avoid the big hits.

It is a concern that he may end up like Forsberg and Lindros who were too tough for their own good and could never stay healthy.

Archived