Set up a home wireless network

Bmwolf21

I got this Airlink router from Fry's for $30 but for some reason that I can't figure out (and neither can the clueless tech support people) is why the my speed is only at half with a wired connection. I was going to replace my old linksys router with this wireless one but I still have no idea why the wired speed is cut in half. My brother has the exact same router with exactly the same configuration and his works perfectly fine. I have to note though that the first one died only after 12 hours of use so I had to go get a replacement. So, now I just use it as an access point that hooks into my old router. Somewhat inconvenient as they are both taking up space but I didn't want to go back again.

As far as my encryption, I'm using WPA-PSK with TPIK encryption. The AES didn't work with my laptop and neither did the newer WPA2.

If anyone has a clue as to why my wired speed is at half through this router, I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

Do you mean the wired speed as it is reported by the ethernet connection (10 Mbps vs 100 Mbps)? Or do you mean real world performance?

Real-world. I was using a speed testing site that measures my download speed and with the old router, it was where it's supposed to be for my cable connection. But with the wireless one, it's half the speed. I've also tried measuring it with other methods and still half. Not sure what it is.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good deal on a wireless router, I got mine on Buy.com. The WRT54GL is normally $66.55 - $10 mail-in rebate = $56.55; take another $20 off for using Google Checkout = $36.55 plus free shipping. Mine was a little cheaper. something like $45.70 after the google checkout discount and I just sent in the rebate form.

Here is the link if anyone is interested. From my price-comparison research - using major retailers, online dealers, etc., that is a real good price, IMO.

Archived