Brodeur NHL's best goalie?

hopeleslyobvious

Who do you cast your vote for? A few seasons ago there were a lot of really good goalies and two or three elite goalies; lately it seems there are a lot more really good goalies and not many elite ones.

Kiprusoff? Giguere? Turco? Those three all seem to have the elite-style numbers thus far this year; while I haven't seen many Calgary games, I'd have to lean toward Kiprusoff right now. Facing 29 shots per game; 2nd in GAA (2.04); 2nd in SV % (.929); 4th-most wins (14) t-1st in shutouts (4)...

Where does Ryan fit in this debate? Or does he belong there at all? Enquiring minds want to know...

I do think Miller belongs in this debate. I am going to sound like a broken record, but this really isn't the team for a goalie to put up elite numbers.

For example. I think it's safe to say that back in 2003-2004 the Sabres played a more conservative system. Biron put up a 2.52 GAA and .913 SV% Immediately ahead of him in SV% was Giguere with a 2.62 and a .914. Post lockout Giguere saw his stats dip slightly: 2.66, .911. Biron's dropped significantly more: 2.89, .905. Another example is Manny Fernandez, if you look at his stats: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&pa...layerId=8458988 they stayed pretty consistent throughout his career, even post lockout.

So Biron went from having a good SV% to acceptable, when some of the players around him only saw a slight drop in stats. Say what you want about Biron, but before the Sabres changed their system he put up pretty consistent numbers throughout his career. This could be a coincidence, but it could also be an indication that the Sabres system has a negative effect on their goaltenders numbers.

I found another indication of this (sorry for repeating what I posted in an earlier thread) in THN's Fantasy Guide. It has some unique stat categories. One of them being SH SV% Ryan Miller and Henrik Lundqvist were tied for the best in the league last year. Since the team doesn't take as many chances on the PK, I see the stat as indicative of what Miller's stats would look like if he played on a more defensive minded team.

Who do you cast your vote for? A few seasons ago there were a lot of really good goalies and two or three elite goalies; lately it seems there are a lot more really good goalies and not many elite ones.

Kiprusoff? Giguere? Turco? Those three all seem to have the elite-style numbers thus far this year; while I haven't seen many Calgary games, I'd have to lean toward Kiprusoff right now. Facing 29 shots per game; 2nd in GAA (2.04); 2nd in SV % (.929); 4th-most wins (14) t-1st in shutouts (4)...

Where does Ryan fit in this debate? Or does he belong there at all? Enquiring minds want to know...

The level of goaltending has gone through the roof. A few years ago there were only a handful of really good goalies. Goaltending is now as strong as it has been in years.

Miller is really good. I just think it's too early to put him at the top or near the top of the list. He is moving closer to that spot. I am old fashion. I still think you need a Cup ring or a Vezina to be considered at that level. When it's all said and done I'm sure he'll have his share.

So just to make sure I'm clear on this one. You think a goalie with a 2.25 GAA who faces 20 shots a night is better than a goalie who faces 40 shots a night and has a 3.00 GAA? By the way for those of you keeping track, the goalie with a 2.25 GAA would roughly have a .887 SV% and the goalie with a 3.00 GAA would have a .925 SV%.

Yes.

That goalie may have only had 20 shots. What if 10 were quality scoring chances? The goalie with the 40 may have only faced 5 quality chances.

You rely too much on 'shots on net'.

Tonight. Watch the game and count your own shots on net. See how different your total is then the official scorer. You wil be surprised.

The level of goaltending has gone through the roof. A few years ago there were only a handful of really good goalies. Goaltending is now as strong as it has been in years.

Miller is really good. I just think it's too early to put him at the top or near the top of the list. He is moving closer to that spot. I am old fashion. I still think you need a Cup ring or a Vezina to be considered at that level. When it's all said and done I'm sure he'll have his share.

Yes.

That goalie may have only had 20 shots. What if 10 were quality scoring chances? The goalie with the 40 may have only faced 5 quality chances.

You rely too much on 'shots on net'.

Tonight. Watch the game and count your own shots on net. See how different your total is then the official scorer. You wil be surprised.

I consider Lundqvist among the elites and he doesn't have a cup ring or Vezina (I guess that Olympic Gold doesn't hurt).

Chances are if a goalie only faces 20 shots, 10 of them are not quality scoring chances. Also, chances are if a goalie is facing 40 shots, more than 5 of them are quality scoring chances.

Archived