Nice Article on ESPN.com

ncsabre

A good article comparing Sabres and Ducks..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...mien&id=2678499

I read it and thought that it was fair. However, I think the author somewhat failed to include how many injuries the Sabres have been battling and still have more points than the Ducks and that we have been without (in my opiniion) our best offensive talent in Tim Connolly ( Only Max and Danny are close) When comparing the Defenses, it was not really fair considering we have been without arguably our best D-man in Tallinder and best duo in Tallinder/Lydman.

I personally think these are the two best teams in the league by a large margin over anyone else. I also think that this could be the year in which the two #1 seeds face each other in the cup. (assuming the Sabres and Ducks hold their positions, which I believe theywill) I just think these two teams are so much better than their peers that there will be no upsets on their respective marches to the Final. I will be so excited to see these two teams clash in the Cup Finals and barring another freak injury outbreak at the worst time, I believe we will come out on top. (Hopefully Timmy will be back by the end of the regular season so he will be geared up to contribute to the playoffs.)

I truly believe nothing can stop this Sabres team. (Obviously injuries can, but I don't believe that it will happen two years in a row.

I read it and thought that it was fair. However, I think the author somewhat failed to include how many injuries the Sabres have been battling and still have more points than the Ducks and that we have been without (in my opiniion) our best offensive talent in Tim Connolly ( Only Max and Danny are close) When comparing the Defenses, it was not really fair considering we have been without arguably our best D-man in Tallinder and best duo in Tallinder/Lydman.

Yeah, we're doing quite well given our injuries. However, going into tonight, Anaheim may be without both Giguere and Bryzgalov, having to resort to their third goalie to tackle Edmonton.

That said, we do have quite the injury list (from ESPN):

Here's the Sabres' laundry list -- Daniel Paille (ankle), Jason Pominville (groin), Jaroslav Spacek (groin), Jochen Hecht (inner ear), Toni Lydman (neck), Tim Connolly (concussion) and Henrik Tallinder (forearm). This, and the team is still the best in the Eastern Conference.

On a side note, you don't think Vanek is up there with Max and Danny?

I personally think these are the two best teams in the league by a large margin over anyone else. I also think that this could be the year in which the two #1 seeds face each other in the cup. (assuming the Sabres and Ducks hold their positions, which I believe theywill) I just think these two teams are so much better than their peers that there will be no upsets on their respective marches to the Final. I will be so excited to see these two teams clash in the Cup Finals and barring another freak injury outbreak at the worst time, I believe we will come out on top. (Hopefully Timmy will be back by the end of the regular season so he will be geared up to contribute to the playoffs.)

I truly believe nothing can stop this Sabres team. (Obviously injuries can, but I don't believe that it will happen two years in a row.

I think the Sharks are just as good. Anaheim has only had to play 8 games on the road. San Jose has one fewer loss than Anaheim. Yeah, Anaheim recently routed them, but they have the third most points in the league, as many wins as the Ducks, and have played one fewer game. San Jose has played 5 more road games than Anaheim. Oh yeah, and Anaheim lost to the Cryers.

I liked the following stat from the article:

Although they don't play each other, so far this season, they have shared six opponents: the Islanders, Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Devils and Red Wings. Against those teams, the Sabres are 7-0-0, the Ducks 3-1-2.

That's quite an interesting statistic. The Ducks have won only half of their games against common opponents.

Also, on a side note, Cox mentioned that Miller didn't win the starting job until after his injury. I completely disagree.

Yeah, we're doing quite well given our injuries. However, going into tonight, Anaheim may be without both Giguere and Bryzgalov, having to resort to their third goalie to tackle Edmonton.

That said, we do have quite the injury list (from ESPN):

On a side note, you don't think Vanek is up their with Max and Danny?

I think the Sharks are just as good. Anaheim has only had to play 8 games on the road. San Jose has one fewer loss than Anaheim. Yeah, Anaheim recently routed them, but they have the third most points in the league, as many wins as the Ducks, and have played one fewer game. San Jose has played 5 more road games than Anaheim. Oh yeah, and Anaheim lost to the Cryers.

I liked the following stat from the article:

That's quite an interesting statistic. The Ducks have won only half of their games against common opponents.

Also, on a side note, Cox mentioned that Miller didn't win the starting job until after his injury. I completely disagree.

Sorry, forgot Vanek, he definitely is up there. However, we almost lost the Flyers too, so every team does have the offnight.

Sorry, forgot Vanek, he definitely is up there. However, we almost lost the Flyers too, so every team does have the offnight.

It's a close comparison, but....

1. Ducks didn't just lose to Philly, they got killed. It was like 7-2 and anyone who saw the game knew it could have been much worse.

2. Ducks lost 3-0 to Calgary. Yeah we had our bad loses too, so this one i'll give them.

3. They lost twice in regulation and 6 times in OT. 8 times they lost in regulation or ot... and the times they won in OT, just means they're close in all the games. Not very healthy come playoff time that they can't win any easy ones.

Besides their top pairing, their defense is slow and their offensive is far from offensive. They got some snipers but nothing of what you need in the playoffs IMO.

It's a close comparison, but....

1. Ducks didn't just lose to Philly, they got killed. It was like 7-2 and anyone who saw the game knew it could have been much worse.

2. Ducks lost 3-0 to Calgary. Yeah we had our bad loses too, so this one i'll give them.

3. They lost twice in regulation and 6 times in OT. 8 times they lost in regulation or ot... and the times they won in OT, just means they're close in all the games. Not very healthy come playoff time that they can't win any easy ones.

Besides their top pairing, their defense is slow and their offensive is far from offensive. They got some snipers but nothing of what you need in the playoffs IMO.

Oh I definitely agree with this, I just think the Ducks are the team we will be playing in the Stanley Cup Final

"Both the No-Longer-Mighty Ducks and Sabres have 40 points, although Anaheim has played one fewer game."

I think he meant that they have played one more game.

I saw that and found this error to really bug me. Especially when further along he contradicts this statement with:

"But that's down the road. Right now? The Sabres are the better team, if only by the slimmest of margins. It's not just because they've achieved the same number of points in one fewer game, two fewer after the Ducks play the Oilers on Tuesday night. It's not because the Ducks haven't beaten the Sabres this millennium."

I found the most interesting stat he mentioned to be this one:

"Although they don't play each other, so far this season they have shared six opponents: the Islanders, Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Devils and Red Wings. Against those teams, the Sabres are 7-0-0, the Ducks 3-1-2."

Archived