Not really a rant, more like my observations

apuszczalowski

After reading some posts on here, and the dreadful ones on the Sabres.com message boards, I wonder if people get it now or not, there is a salary cap, things aren't as easy as it was years ago to move players.

I've noticed many poster calling for Paille, Stafford, and the rest of the "Youngin's" to get called up and play this year and stay on the team. When asked where they will fit, most people first choice is to send Peters to Rochester or on waivers. There's a couple of problems with this, It still won't work. Buffalo is so close to the cap right now that any moves they make will have to be financial ones. Currently Peters is making less the the guys everyone wants to see up in Buffalo right now. So to drop Peters to bring one of those guys in to replace him would cost them more money towards the cap that they can't afford. Last year this would have worked because there was almost enough cap space to put another team on the ice every night.

This year is different. Because of all the increases in pay tht the players have, and how tight they are to the cap right now, the Sabres have to have a couple players on the roster that are cheap and may lack the skills the rest of the team has. Its not possible to field a team of Danny Brieres under the salary cap unless they are all being grossly underpayed. It would be nice, just not possible. The Sabres have a good enough team right now to make it to the finals right now, even with some less talented players.

The Sabres also need some "grinders" and "enforcers" to protect the skilled players. Who would you rather have go to the box for a fight after Max takes some cheap shots in a game, Pomminstein or Peters? Briere or Mair? without those guys, this team gets weaker physically and teams will start using that as an advantage to slow the team down. That is why statistically it may look like they are meaningless but they really aren't

Also the biggest point is how do you make room for the young guys coming up from rochester, WHo gets moved out to make room when everyone is healthy. Lets say hypothetically Connolly returns this season before the playoffs. How do you fit him on the roster, with the other players everyone wants to see stay up? There just isn't room unless someone is placed on waivers or dealt to make room.

Also i must say, it sure looks like the B-rod nickname for briere is fitting, since it is starting to look like the arbitrator knew what he was talking about and that 5 mil is becoming a bargain for him. Imagine the impact he will have if he plays the full 82 games. The media is already hinting at a possible Hart Trophy nomination for him

Flame Away if you wish, I know Deluca will be here because I mentioned Peters being valuable to the team

Archived