We may have some Cap Issues when Tim gets back

slapshot1619

Here's that web site people have posted before:

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

They still have Thorburn on it but if you back out his salary and add in Connolly's once he comes off IR, you get a 44.627 million figure for this season.

So, by my math, they'd need to drop $627,000 in salary when Tim returns (exactly what Derek Roy is making but he's not going anywhere). If Paille is sent down then, it would drop $722,000 and put us under the cap. Thorburn & Novotny's 450k wouldn't have done the job so maybe that's why Thorburn was waived in favor of Paille. If I was a 3rd/4th liner making over 627k & under 1 mil, I'd be playing like I was possessed to make sure I wasn't going to be the salary cap casualty and get sent to Ra-cha-cha until an injury callup (which hopefully won't ever come but realistically will happen).

As for long term solutions, I think Biron is always a trade candidate if the Sabres get enough value in return (I hope he's not traded but if the deal is too good to pass on then so be it). I think the Briere situation will take some twists & turns before next season too (he has to be signed to a long term deal and justify the 5 mil)

Here's that web site people have posted before:

http://www3.telus.net/public/dreyes/nhl/

They still have Thorburn on it but if you back out his salary and add in Connolly's once he comes off IR, you get a 44.627 million figure for this season.

So, by my math, they'd need to drop $627,000 in salary when Tim returns (exactly what Derek Roy is making but he's not going anywhere). If Paille is sent down then, it would drop $722,000 and put us under the cap. Thorburn & Novotny's 450k wouldn't have done the job so maybe that's why Thorburn was waived in favor of Paille. If I was a 3rd/4th liner making over 627k & under 1 mil, I'd be playing like I was possessed to make sure I wasn't going to be the salary cap casualty and get sent to Ra-cha-cha until an injury callup (which hopefully won't ever come but realistically will happen).

As for long term solutions, I think Biron is always a trade candidate if the Sabres get enough value in return (I hope he's not traded but if the deal is too good to pass on then so be it). I think the Briere situation will take some twists & turns before next season too (he has to be signed to a long term deal and justify the 5 mil)

If Connolly is out long enough it won't be an issue. Remember, if you are under the cap, you get to "bank" how much you are under as long as you spend under the cap for the season.

And even if we put Paille or Novotny down were still gonna need about 200k or so more room. So what do they do? Attempt to move Marty? Move someone else? Anyone have a guess?

Besides, the league won't even let us consider euthanasia when it comes to the salary cap...they won't let us put down anyone, even if it is a couple rookies... (rimshot)

Archived