Ryan Miller Comments following another loss

rickshaw

Ryan Miller said the following after another loss in which he let in another 4 goals, against the Flyers.

"I'm not thrilled with that, but we have to overcome that sometimes," Miller said. "A game is not won in the first 10 minutes. I've learned enough in my four years as a pro to know it's a long game. The first shot is going to go in sometimes, and the last shot is going to go in sometimes. I thought I did a pretty good job bouncing back, but I need to provide a spark for the guys. I need to be a difference maker, and that includes doing it early."

A game most certainly is not won in the first 10 minutes, but to tell me letting in early goals doesn't affect the way your "team" plays, is ludicrous.

The Buffalo News said ---- Early goals have been a problem for Miller and have prevented the Sabres from playing with conviction. In his 44 games, Miller has given up a goal within the first 10 minutes of a game 15 times, including eight times in his past six appearances. Miller also has allowed eight goals within the first five minutes of a game.

If Miller can't man up enough to suggest letting in early goals doesn't hurt the team and doesn't affect the way they play and subsequently affect the outcome of games, he's more of a headcase than I thought.

I think Miller has more upside than Biron, but Biron doesn't seem to try to deflect bad performances onto the rest of the team. Miller is almost too casual about his play. When will the guy say "I can't let in goals early. It is hurting our team."

Sure he said I need to be a difference early, after he defended letting in early goals.

The bottom line is this. Good teams go far by goalies not letting in early goals. They let their team score first and then make timely saves. Think of Grant Fuhr in his Oiler days. Sure he let in lots of goals, their team was all out attack. But, he made the big saves when needed, with his team in the lead. He let his team go out and get leads by not allowing early goals. Then when they got the lead, he made the timely save.

Miller continually puts this team behind the 8 ball, over and over again. Playing well after letting in the first two goals again, is woopdeedoo. It's "when" the save is made, not how many are made. His numbers post Olympics are tragic. They aren't NHL calibre for sure. They are god awful.

Biron should play until he sh*ts the bed. His play has been more solid. He owns up to letting in bad goals and doesn't continually place blame on his teammates.

Archived