[OT] Suggestion: "Thanks" feature

thesportsbuff

I don't know if this forum software has a mod for it, but if so I think it would be a great addition. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, here's how it would work: It's very similar to the "+1" feature currently on here, but I'll get to that later. Anyway, every post would have a button next to the "Reply" and "MultiQuote" buttons that would read "Thanks." Basically, if you find the post informative, useful, funny, whatever -- you click the Thanks and it adds reps to the user and under the post displays a list of users "Thanked" the post. It's a good way for quick skimmers to sort through threads quickly and find the posts worth reading as opposed to mindless banter or arguments between two users. Based on the amount of factual information discussed here, I think this feature would be a great way to reward those who contribute with worthwhile posts and informative articles. It's not much, but it gives them a little recognition and works as an underlying reputation system at the same time.

Now, I know we have the little "+1" box that is very similar to the "Thanks" feature, but I find that it is rarely used and hardly noticeable if it is. Here is a screenshot of a different board that uses this system (though it is a vB board and not IPB) and how I believe it should work:

post-770-056590800 1296791091_thumb.png

Just a suggestion that I think would help bring a little life to the board. Feedback?

Archived