96 points...

sjb012

From day one of this season I have thought that it would take 96 points to get into the playoffs in the East.

I actually might be dead on! However, I am starting to lean towards 93 or 94 points.

So what do you say, over or under 96 points for the Sabres to secure at least the 8 seed?

You can bet over, under or push (obviously for 96 points, vote push). If you bet over or under, state how many points you believe the 8 seed will need.

The Sabres sit at 69 points with 20 games left. If I am right (96 points) the Sabres will need something like a 12-5-3 record to make it.

That looks pretty tough.

I think also think it might be more like 93 or 94 ... even that might be a stretch as the Sabres, Canes or Pens can't seem to put together any kind of run ...

Here is what they would need just to get to 93:

Buffalo - 24 points in 20 games

Carolina - 24 points in 19 games

Pittsburgh - 27 points in 20 games

Granted, all of these teams except MAYBE Pittsburgh could even still climb as high as 5th ... but someone may even sneak in with 92 or so ... if you look at the records for everyone in the last 10 games, almost everyone in the East is between 4 and 6 wins ... everyone is treading water. If anyone goes 7-2-1 over a stretch they are going to jump into 5th.

Archived