Possible Center

Rayzor32

ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION: Mike Knobler reports Thrashers captain Bobby Holik expects to become a UFA in July, claiming the team has made no effort to contact him about a possible new contract. Thrashers GM Don Waddell disputed Holik's claim but declined to elaborate. Defenseman Steve McCarthy, like Holik also an impending UFA, claims he's had no contact with management since season's end, although Knobler points out that doesn't necessaily mean the team isn't interested in re-signing him, noting McCarthy was re-signed last year on June 26th.

He may be long in the tooth at 37, BUT, Holik is big, tough, wins faceoffs (2nd in league last season), won 2 cups in NJ and isn't too expensive ($4.2MM last season)...

I'd still love for Sundin to sign for a 'hometown' discount (so he could still live in his beloved T.O.), but since that's not happening, Holik or upstate NY native Craig Conroy would solve our two biggest problems -- no veteran leadership and no key faceoff wins in clutch situations

I think I'd rather have Stephane Yelle ($1.25 Million last year) than Holik if he wants anything near $4.2 million ... give that $4.2 million to Orpik or trade Max, add his $3 million and go after Hossa or Sundin ... or somethin' ... the possibilities are endless when I am playing with other people's money and no one is bidding against me ....

Rayzor, I thought the same thing when I read the article and actually thought about it a while ago when I saw his name on the UFA list. He would fit a lot of our needs. To respond to the questions about having to overpay, I really don't see him getting close to the $4 million range at his age and with his production probably continuing to decline. He could likely be had for "Kotalik-money", meaning $2-2.5, that is, if he wanted to join the Sabres.

Archived