What it would take...

SabresFanInRochester

I know 99% of the posters have called it a season. Based on some of Buffalo's past games, I cannot blame you. But, they are mathematically still alive. Here is the scoop:

If Buffalo wins out, they will have 93 points. Not the easiest schedule remaining, but it is what it is. Montreal, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, and Boston. Buffalo has struggled against Montreal, so to have them twice and need to sweep -- yikes. Didn't Jocelyn shut them out earlier in the year???

They need to pass 2 teams. I selected Boston and Philadelphia, both 5 points ahead of Buffalo. Both Boston and Philadelphia must be held to 2 or fewer wins. When you look at their schedules, it is likely that Boston and Philly comply and go 2-3 at best. But, all this is contingent on Buffalo winning out. If Buffalo loses 1, then Boston and Philly have to go 1-4 through the year.

Boston - If Buffalo sweeps Boston, I really could not see Boston winning out over Ottawa twice and New Jersey. Remember, they would need all 3.

Ottawa (H)

Buffalo (A) - back-to-back nights played... Buffalo rested

New Jersey (A)

Ottawa (A)

Buffalo (H) - back-to-back nights played... Buffalo rested

Philadelphia - Philadelphia cannot win more than 2 of the following, again, considering Buffalo sweeps.

New Jersey (A)

NY Islanders (A) - back-to-back game... granted, it is the Islanders who are banged up

Pittsburgh (A)

New Jersey (H)

Pittsburgh (H)

Best of luck! Go Sabres!!!

The Flyers have a tough schedule remaining. Aside from the Islanders game, every one of those games is a tough division matchup with all of the teams jockeying for playoff position and with something to win for. I don't see the Flyers getting an easy game anywhere. As for Boston, it really comes to us winning out and them losing to us in regulation in those 2 games. Given the schedules of the two teams, it looks like the Flyers might be easier to catch than Boston, but we also have to worry about the Caps. They are only two back of Carolina and also the 8th seed. It is possible for the Caps to make it without winning the SE. So, there are a lot of variables at play. I see 4 teams fighting for 3 spots. Buffalo has to win out and hope for the best. It will not be easy, that's for sure.

Win out and all we need is one more loss by Boston and one loss by Washington to get in. I know Washington has an easier schedule, but we have a game-in-hand, so we just need the two points to pass them (putting us in at least 9th). The two head-to-head wins against Boston would put us one point behind Boston, but short on wins for a tie-breaker, so we'd need two points to pass them (putting us in 8th.) The Flyers could slip, but that's a lot longer way for them to fall.

I think you mean 5 teams: Buffalo, Boston, Flyers, Caps and Carolina

fighting for 3 spots: third (SE division), seventh and eighth

and only two teams have a shot at one of those.

Yup, I mis-wrote.

2 teams fighting for SE Division - Caps and Canes

4 teams fighting for 7th and 8th - Buffalo, either Caps or Canes, Boston, Philly

Archived