Line discussion thread

FearTheReaper

I dont understand what he's trying to do. He mixes these lines up every other game. And there never any good. More importantly,they never make any damn sense. He puts two of the same kind of players on the same line,and expects it to work. Its either two snipers,or 2 grinders on 1 line.

He never makes the perfect balance. A great line is generally made up of 3 different players who all have seperate roles. You need a Play Maker to set things up. (Players like Roy,Afinogenov,Connolly). You need a Sniper to shoot and hopefully score. (Players like Kotalik,Pominville,Vanek,Stafford). And you need a 2 way forward or a grinder to make some room and do the dirty work.(Players like Hecht,Gaustad,Paille,Bernier)

So my question is,why would you put two of the same kind of players on one line? I'm sorry,but Vanek-Roy-Stafford makes no sense to me.(2 snipers on one line). Same goes for Bernier-Gaustad-Kotalik.(2 grinders on 1 line). I know alot of times a player will play poorly and that demotes him to the 4th line,but does Ruff ever think that there playing badly because there with the wrong linemates? Take Stafford for example. He hasn't played as well as he could this year because he spends alot of time with Vanek. If Stafford was given the space to shine,he could do alot more.

I think alot of the reason we've played poorly this year is Ruff has failed at making the right adjustments to the lines,and that keeps chemistry from generating. Thats not the sole reason,but bad chemisty doesn't help.The past 2 years Ruff has had a surplus of talent,so he didn't need to but much thought into the line combo's. He could throw anything together and it would work. Its different this year. We have just enough to be competative. But were not gonna win when theres no chemistry.

Think about how the power play looked tonight on the 5 on 3's we had. We had 4 snipers out there,Kotalik,Pominville,Vanek,Stafford and Roy was left with the task of trying to single handedly set up 4 players on his own. I know its a 5 on 3 and there are 2 less defenders,but Roy cant move em all on his own. It would of helped greatly if Max,and Hecht were out there instead of Kotalik and Stafford.

These are the lines i think should of been put together from the start. I know my opinion wont change anything,but here they are.

Line 1-

Vanek-Connolly-Afinogenov

(I feel these 3 together could of torn up the league,even though its 2 play makers on 1 line,Max and Tim's games are very different so i think it would of been insane)

Line 2-

Hecht-Roy-Pominville

(Sounds perfect to me,Hecht and Pominville stay together and keep the chemistry from last year,Roy replaces Briere)

Line 3-

Paille-Gaustad-Stafford

(I know its 2 grinders on one line,but Paille is very versatile and he plays both ways so i thought it moght of worked)

Line 4-

Kaleta-Mair-Kotalik

(I feel Kotalik doesnt deserve to be on a higher line and Stafford has alot of potential)

Right now though its alot more complex,without Connolly and with Bernier its a little harder. Maybe Bernier with Stafford and Max?

Your second line looks good, but maybe too good (in one particular sense). That's all three of our best two-way forwards on one line. They play together on the PK and the PP, but 5-on-5, you need to spread them out a little (though, they would be fun to watch; maybe if we got a few more like them.)

Your first line scares the crap out of me and not in a good way. You better have an amazing stay-at-home defensive pair sitting behind them, cause they will not be holding their own. Vanek will sometimes, but not often enough.

The third and fourth lines are ok -- pretty much what we had when we had four centers, which we don't really now -- but I would say that Kotalik is a waste for a fourth line in terms of sniping ability and doesn't play physically enough to be a true grinder. I prefer having Stafford or Paille there for now, giving them another physical player with offensive capabilities, allowing them to play more than 5:00 a game.

Basically, not having four true centers (Hecht is a better winger) has hurt the lineups, as has certain players not always playing up to their abilities.

Archived