Observations

MiggityMJW

Over the last 4 games there are a few things perfectly clear:

1. Defenses league-wide have caught on to the Sabres style of play and they have adjusted their play to compensate for it while the Sabres continue to try to do the same things. If you watch the Sabres break out of the defensive zone, they are obviously looking for the up-ice pass to spring one of the speedy forwards to create a scoring chance. That normally would work when the other team's defense is playing aggressively in the Sabres zone. Now it seems like opponents are forcing the outlet man to the outside and by the time the pass is received it is either broken up or the forwards have had enough time to come back and collapse into a tight box, closing off any of the normal passing routes. This is even more evident on the power play.

Obviously injuries have downgraded our skill level up front (and on defense - KALININ!), making it easier for opponents to defend. The Sabres coaches have to be seeing that other teams have a basic idea of how to beat the Sabres, but where have the changes been made? Isn't there something strategically that can be done that will open up the run and gun style we're so accustomed to? This is a major challenge for the coaching staff.

2. Where has the gritty play gone? Gary Roberts was a one-man recking crew last night, and the game before that, the Devils were usually on the giving end of most (not all) of the hits. There is rarely a forecheck in the offensive zone. The Sabres will try to dump the puck in the corners, but will allow there opponents to take the puck out of the corners and play it up the ice. The Sabres need to get tougher in the offensive zone and pressure defenses to make mistakes. The injury to Gaustad and Kotalik hurt. However, where has Adam Mair gone? His last three games have been 8 minutes, 6 minutes, and 9 minutes of ice time with few shots and few hits. Where is his fire?

3. Miller needs a rest. He hasn't sat out an entire game since early February.

Those are just a few of the things I've seen over this current losing streak. I don't think we are on a sinking ship by any means, but playoff hockey is right around the corner and some changes need to be made.

Those are just a few of the things I've seen over this current losing streak. I don't think we are on a sinking ship by any means, but playoff hockey is right around the corner and some changes need to be made.

We hear ya, the dump and chase offense is getting old fast! I thought Kalinin and Lydman played well last night, no? Considering alot us the other ineffective AHL's right now. Wait, and NHL's right now. On the other side Orpik should get a star for them, and Gonchar has an above average game for him. Miller has noticably been frustarted while losing FOUR STRAIGHT :angry: I am just waiting for him to crack his stick over the crossbar one of these nights. The bag stays on :bag:

Over the last 4 games there are a few things perfectly clear:

1. Defenses league-wide have caught on to the Sabres style of play and they have adjusted their play to compensate for it while the Sabres continue to try to do the same things. If you watch the Sabres break out of the defensive zone, they are obviously looking for the up-ice pass to spring one of the speedy forwards to create a scoring chance. That normally would work when the other team's defense is playing aggressively in the Sabres zone. Now it seems like opponents are forcing the outlet man to the outside and by the time the pass is received it is either broken up or the forwards have had enough time to come back and collapse into a tight box, closing off any of the normal passing routes. This is even more evident on the power play.

Obviously injuries have downgraded our skill level up front (and on defense - KALININ!), making it easier for opponents to defend. The Sabres coaches have to be seeing that other teams have a basic idea of how to beat the Sabres, but where have the changes been made? Isn't there something strategically that can be done that will open up the run and gun style we're so accustomed to? This is a major challenge for the coaching staff.

2. Where has the gritty play gone? Gary Roberts was a one-man recking crew last night, and the game before that, the Devils were usually on the giving end of most (not all) of the hits. There is rarely a forecheck in the offensive zone. The Sabres will try to dump the puck in the corners, but will allow there opponents to take the puck out of the corners and play it up the ice. The Sabres need to get tougher in the offensive zone and pressure defenses to make mistakes. The injury to Gaustad and Kotalik hurt. However, where has Adam Mair gone? His last three games have been 8 minutes, 6 minutes, and 9 minutes of ice time with few shots and few hits. Where is his fire?

Actually, I noticed last night that most of our breakout passes were right up the middle of the ice.

I also noticed too that they were playing -- ok, trying to play -- "playoff" style defense. It was written elsewhere that Lindy may be using this roadtrip to get the team into playoff mode, which, given the style they've used most of the year, is not an overnight adjustment.

Gritty play took a hit when Goose went down. Actually, Paille was/is very good along the boards, too. Don't discount the injuries -- they were playing on adrenaline during the last winning streak and it was inevitable they'd slow down in time.

I agree. I understand Miller is number one, but he does need a game or two off soon. Playing Conklin for a period is not a rest. Not too long ago Lindy admitted he made a mistake by playing Miller too much, but it doesn't look like he's learned from that mistake.

Archived