Top 5 goalies through 10 games

hopeleslyobvious

Espo, Todd Lewis and Bill Clement each ranked their top 5 goalies based on the first 10 games.

Clement Ranked Miller #1

Espo Ranked Miller #3

Todd Lewis Ranked him #4

Clement put him as number 1 because he is putting up good numbers on a team that takes tons of chances offensively and often leaves him to fend for himself. Personally I would rank him in the top 5 (not #1), but it's nice to see Miller get that kind of recognition.

I wouldn't put him #1 either, heck i'd have a tough time putting him in top 5. Let's face it, he's a great goalie but so fat this season he's allowed way too many weak goals. He's just lucky that he has the best D and such a high scoring team.

I disagree. He has let a few weak ones in, but so does every goalie. While I disagree with Clement's exact ranking, I agree with his assessment. The team plays a wide open style, and the defensemen take a lot of chances. They wouldn't be able to do that with a lot of the goalies in the league.

Another thing to think about is that most of his weak goals that I can think of deflected off of a defenseman and changed direction at the last second (Carolina game).

The goal that made me the most frustrated this year was just a bad bounce off some lively boards. I didn't like it, but these things happen from time to time. Despite the fact that he has played quite a few games at the Joe in the past, he hadn't played there in a few years.

EDIT: Just another thing I took issue with. While Miller does have a high scoring team in front of him, I think it's something entirely different to imply that a goalie with a .921 SV% in the new NHL would not be as successful if he did not have such a good offense in front of him.

In fact, his SV% would probably be significantly higher if he played for a lower scoring team that didn't take as many chances.

Archived