My impressions of last night's game

buckeyebrian

You all know the score, etc, so I thought I would share some things that may not have been evident even if you heard the game:

1. Miller was soft. The first goal, although it was on a 5-3 PP was fron a bad angle and squirted through Miller's left arm. It was by Nash, however, and he knows how to find the net. The next goal, 37 seconds later, still on a 5-4 PP was a bad misplay of the puck by Miller who left it right on the left side of the crease for an easy goal. He allowed 4 goals on 26 shots, 3 were PP.

2. PK was bad (see above), PP was worse. We had a full 2 minutes of 5-3 in the first period and never came close. Puck movement was pretty good, but we never got the defensive triangle open and never got anyone in the low slot for a good chance. No rebounds that I can remember.

3. No rough stuff. Thorburn and Shelley yapped at each other a couple of times but did not go.

4. Uni's looked pretty cool - but what's with the Michigan colors? Was that part of Miller's new contract?

5. Lot's of Sabres fans there - saw a few gold and blue #16 Lafontaine's, a couple of red and black #41 Barne's, a couple of Hasek's, as well as some jerseys of curent players and even a #12 Kelly!

6. I don't know who MacArthur is but he was the fastest player on the ice yesterday.

7. Paetsch and Paille got a lot of ice time.

8. Hecht's goal was a hustle play, Kalinin and Drury looked pretty good.

You all know the score, etc, so I thought I would share some things that may not have been evident even if you heard the game:

1. Miller was soft. The first goal, although it was on a 5-3 PP was fron a bad angle and squirted through Miller's left arm. It was by Nash, however, and he knows how to find the net. The next goal, 37 seconds later, still on a 5-4 PP was a bad misplay of the puck by Miller who left it right on the left side of the crease for an easy goal. He allowed 4 goals on 26 shots, 3 were PP.

2. PK was bad (see above), PP was worse. We had a full 2 minutes of 5-3 in the first period and never came close. Puck movement was pretty good, but we never got the defensive triangle open and never got anyone in the low slot for a good chance. No rebounds that I can remember.

3. No rough stuff. Thorburn and Shelley yapped at each other a couple of times but did not go.

4. Uni's looked pretty cool - but what's with the Michigan colors? Was that part of Miller's new contract?

5. Lot's of Sabres fans there - saw a few gold and blue #16 Lafontaine's, a couple of red and black #41 Barne's, a couple of Hasek's, as well as some jerseys of curent players and even a #12 Kelly!

6. I don't know who MacArthur is but he was the fastest player on the ice yesterday.

8. Hecht's goal was a hustle play, Kalinin and Drury looked pretty good.

Thanks! Good to hear from someone who actually saw the game. I am not worried too much about Miller having a bad outing yet. He's not the only one who had a bad night, Brodeur had one too.

hey, how about looking at the defense pairings... only one pairing were regulars from last season... could that have been a main reason for poor penalty kill(campbell and kalinin)...I think so! I'm not worried at all. in order for most goalies to be storng they need a solid defense UNIT. its pre-season.

I'll start gettin pumped starting October 4th!

Go Blue, then!

Clarke MacArthur played down here in Rochester last year and seemed to have a productive game every time I saw him play (about 8 or 9 games last year). I'm the farthest thing from someone who can evaluate hockey talent, so I don't know how he stacks up talent-wise, I just know that he played well when I saw him last year.

Go Blue, then!

Clarke MacArthur played down here in Rochester last year and seemed to have a productive game every time I saw him play (about 8 or 9 games last year). I'm the farthest thing from someone who can evaluate hockey talent, so I don't know how he stacks up talent-wise, I just know that he played well when I saw him last year.

He was a blur on the ice, but I guess there is not much chance of him making the Sabres roster. Is he a prospect for the future?

Archived