Anyone know what kind of long term deal Briere turned down?

Barnabov

Time for Danny boy to live by his words & make a committment to the Sabres by signing a long term deal - trouble is that his base salary is out of whack by the retarded Arbitration award - what's he going to ask for now - 4 years 20+ mil?

I would like to have seen him get 3-4 years at 3-4 mil per year - like Maxim.

I think the Sabres got hurt by Briere being the 1st award - Darcy seemed to quickly pick up on the fact that Arbitration didn't favor the team anymore and better to lock guys in for 2-4 years now at a reasonable salary.

Anyway, I think Dumont will probably be sent away and maybe Briere too after this year unless there is an extension.

Time for Danny boy to live by his words & make a committment to the Sabres by signing a long term deal - trouble is that his base salary is out of whack by the retarded Arbitration award - what's he going to ask for now - 4 years 20+ mil?

I would like to have seen him get 3-4 years at 3-4 mil per year - like Maxim.

I think the Sabres got hurt by Briere being the 1st award - Darcy seemed to quickly pick up on the fact that Arbitration didn't favor the team anymore and better to lock guys in for 2-4 years now at a reasonable salary.

Anyway, I think Dumont will probably be sent away and maybe Briere too after this year unless there is an extension.

I think that Briere being first may have been a blessing. It's tough to know exactly how it would have shaken out, but if Briere was LAST, the signings of the past week may have gone much differently, and the Briere ruling could have dropped on the organization's plan like an anvil to the head.

I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw somewhere that the sabres were offering 4.5m/season for 3 years and Danny was looking for a 4th...

There is probably more to it, but just reiterating what I remember...

As for who is going to stay who is going to go... right now its anyones guess... logically I'd say since JP and Danny will be the only arbitrated salaries I'd say they would be the ones on the block... I think sending these 2 away provides plenty of room to sign Miller/kalinin/backup goalie and keep salaries at a reasonable level

I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw somewhere that the sabres were offering 4.5m/season for 3 years and Danny was looking for a 4th...

There is probably more to it, but just reiterating what I remember...

As for who is going to stay who is going to go... right now its anyones guess... logically I'd say since JP and Danny will be the only arbitrated salaries I'd say they would be the ones on the block... I think sending these 2 away provides plenty of room to sign Miller/kalinin/backup goalie and keep salaries at a reasonable level

I think we may need to dump one other salary besides Dumont and Biron. Perhaps Kalinin, though I know that won't go over too well here. It could also be a guy like Mair (depending on his arbitration award, should he go) or, sadly, a guy like Hecht or Kotalik.

I'd be ok with all of this, (if it meant keeping the rest of the team + Spacek), unless for whatever reason it had to be Hecht. If the team got to the point where it needed to drop Jochen for salary reasons, I'd rather they traded Briere for over twice the savings (and the "something" rather than "nothing" we'd get for him).

Archived