GAME DISCUSSION (5/11/06)

Corp000085

I agree. All I've seen after every loss at every board is complaints about the officiating. That doesn't put the puck in the net or send a wide open shot wide of the net. The Sabres can and have played more disciplined than to give up that many penalties. So far as I have heard/read, the game was tied 1-1 going into the 3rd. That means we had 20 minutes to close out the series and we didn't.

There is plenty of criticism for the Sabres' play on the boards. From what I seem to understand, if your team plays poorly, than the officials must have been good. I mean, there's no possible way that the Sabres can play like crap AND the officials can suck, right?

The Sabres were bad last night. The officials were awful. Emery was excellent. We still only lost by a goal.

Am I allowed to complain about God Bless America being sung instead of the national anthem? How about complaining about the knuckleheads that booed the Canadian anthem? Do criticisms of these things mean I think the Sabres played well and were "screwed" by Ronin Tinin or some drunk college kids? Sorry...Forget I mentioned anything BUT how bad the Sabres were last night.

There is plenty of criticism for the Sabres' play on the boards. From what I seem to understand, if your team plays poorly, than the officials must have been good. I mean, there's no possible way that the Sabres can play like crap AND the officials can suck, right?

The Sabres were bad last night. The officials were awful. Emery was excellent. We still only lost by a goal.

Am I allowed to complain about God Bless America being sung instead of the national anthem? How about complaining about the knuckleheads that booed the Canadian anthem? Do criticisms of these things mean I think the Sabres played well and were "screwed" by Ronin Tinin or some drunk college kids? Sorry...Forget I mentioned anything BUT how bad the Sabres were last night.

Again, I haven't gotten to see the game, yet, but I was getting the feeling that some people here were "blaming" the loss on the refs. Usually, if the refs are calling a bad game, that goes both ways, though, right? We, as fans, often turn an unwitting blind eye to those bad calls that may favor us, so we see a poorly called game as only affecting us. My logic is just that if the refs were awful, they were awful for both teams, and the difference last night appears to have been Emery over Miller. If that is the case, then it is fine to say that the officiating sucked, so long as the stellar play of Emery is also acknowledged.

Again, I haven't gotten to see the game, yet, but I was getting the feeling that some people here were "blaming" the loss on the refs. Usually, if the refs are calling a bad game, that goes both ways, though, right? We, as fans, often turn an unwitting blind eye to those bad calls that may favor us, so we see a poorly called game as only affecting us. My logic is just that if the refs were awful, they were awful for both teams, and the difference last night appears to have been Emery over Miller. If that is the case, then it is fine to say that the officiating sucked, so long as the stellar play of Emery is also acknowledged.

I agree...And to be honest, I was more speaking to those people, especially in the media, (and as much as I like Brad Riter and know he posts here, I think he's flat out wrong in this case,) that feel criticizing officials is only allowed when your team plays well. It's a non-sequitur.

The Sens deserved the win as much as the Sabres deserved the first 3...They had more goals when the clock hit zero. Emery was great, as was the Sens' pressure of the Sabres when they had the puck. I also thought Miller was stellar. Jay McKee was the worst Sabre on the ice IMO.

The officials WERE bad for both teams, but Fraser often appears to let his emotion towards the crowd affect how he calls games. I think this happened last night. Fraser was as childish as the people that booed the Canadian anthem or the people who booed the Sabres when they had a few bad power plays. I just can't accept a "professional" that takes a "I'll show them" approach to their job. The officiating was beyond old NHL last night. It was Kerry+pal imposing their own rules (in contrast with the actual rules) because that's how they think it should be, and no fans are going to tell him he's wrong. I have no patience for that kind of arrogance.

Dagwood, MartinHavlatIsMyGOD, and other Sens fans...

You're welcome to join us in the chat.

Thanks JuJu... I don't normally do the chat thing while games are on...I tend to spend all my time watching the text in the chat window, more than the game.

Still, I appreciate the invite. How's the torrents working out for ya?

Cheers