GAME DISCUSSION (5/11/06)

Corp000085

For a young team that is learning on the job what the playoffs are all about, here's a new challenge: close out a team in a sweep. Don't get too high over Dumont's goal and don't get ahead of yourselves. Given that the Sabres have met every other challenge (except splitting the first two games in Philly), I expect them to pass this "test" with flying colors as well.

Lose a two-goal lead at home in the playoff-opener, come back to win in overtime: check

Lose two in a row on the road, come back home and reassert yourselves: check

Close out a team on the road to avoid a seventh game: check

Come from a goal back five times, score late to tie it, win in overtime in the road opener: check

Go for broke in game 2, get the lead and hold it: check

Come from behind: check

Play with the lead: check

Win close games: check

Win blowouts: check

Overcome key injuries: check

This team has been unbelievable.

Ruff has to keep them motivated. There is absolutely no reason for this series to go back to Ottawa, and I think there is more pressure on the Sens to at least win one.

Ruff has to make sure that they understand that any let up will give that team life.

These guys are ready. There's no way Ruff will let them not come hard tonight. Listening to them last night, they all sounded as if they hadn't accomplished anything. They're the hungriest team that I've ever seen to reside in Buffalo.

Great feeling about tonight again for me. Yesterday I had a great feeling all day, but just couldn't accept that Ottawa could actually go down 3-0.

Anways: Sabres win 4-0 tonight. Not only is the HSBC rocking, but when Tim Connolly is the final player out of the Buffalo dressing room, then glides to center ice to take the opening draw, the place expolodes in chants of "Tiiiiimmmy...Tiiiimmmmmy".

Connolly continues his run to the Conn Smythe trophy, setting up Mad Max as the Sabres score early in the 1st on the PP, then on his very next shift, Connolly roofs a shot from the top of the circle, beating Emery clean, glove side.

Roy and Grier net the other two Buffalo goals.

The final 3 minutes of the game, the crowd sings "Na, na, na..."

(Oh...if Tim doesn't play: The Sabres win 4-1. Roy, Novotny, Max and Grier for Buffalo. Drury gets 2 assists.)

Not only is the HSBC rocking, but when Tim Connolly is the final player out of the Buffalo dressing room, then glides to center ice to take the opening draw, the place expolodes in chants of "Tiiiiimmmy...Tiiiimmmmmy".

Connolly continues his run to the Conn Smythe trophy, setting up Mad Max as the Sabres score early in the 1st on the PP, then on his very next shift, Connolly roofs a shot from the top of the circle, beating Emery clean, glove side.

Although it's more important than anything to make sure the magic man gets healthy for the conf. finals/cup finals/next season, I think I would have an out-of-body experience if this happened. In fact, I approached euphoria just reading your prediction and imagining it. Muchas gracias.

I just hope the Sabres take us out tonight. They are simply too good for my Sens and a quick, mercyless death would be appreciated :D

Good luck...Congrats and if you win tonight, best of luck vs the Canes. That series will be even more incredible to watch I'm sure.

The Buffalo Sabres will be in the Finals. I can't see anyone stopping them except themselves and that doesn't look like it's about to happen.

i would think the back to back games would have to hurt the team that is back on it's heels anyway, plus emery got friggin LUCKY last night with all the posts and whiffed shots. i can't believe i am saying something optimistic, but i gotta think the sabres put up at least 5 goals tonight. i am thinking it ends up about 5-3.

i would think the back to back games would have to hurt the team that is back on it's heels anyway, plus emery got friggin LUCKY last night with all the posts and whiffed shots. i can't believe i am saying something optimistic, but i gotta think the sabres put up at least 5 goals tonight. i am thinking it ends up about 5-3.

The Swordsmen got a little lucky in the last 5 seconds of the third period last night.

brutal! just brutal... i always hate to complain about the refs... but the sabres could barely stay on there feet coming out of the zone... stupid stupid last period.... not happy... emery did a good job but more had to be done... why can't they play the other 40 mins of the game like the played the middle 20 min's! damn it!

I don't care if they call penalties, but the problem was, they weren't.

That was a 5 - 3 for sure when Max got crosschecked. That is obvious.

Drury did the same thing and got called.

I'm choked.

Lost too many faceoffs as well.

Was out all night and have the game on TiVo, again, but after reading here, I might wait till tomorrow night to give it a watch. All I'll say is that I hate when teams complain about the refs after a loss. I haven 't seen the game, so I'm not sure how bad it was, but in general, I am not a fan of that reaction, win or lose.

We couldn't expect to sweep this team, so best to just move on to Ottawa, at this point, no?

Was out all night and have the game on TiVo, again, but after reading here, I might wait till tomorrow night to give it a watch. All I'll say is that I hate when teams complain about the refs after a loss. I haven 't seen the game, so I'm not sure how bad it was, but in general, I am not a fan of that reaction, win or lose.

We couldn't expect to sweep this team, so best to just move on to Ottawa, at this point, no?

What is the logic behind not complaining about something that was unsatisfactory? Is it merely to feel above those that do?

I'll admit there is abuse in that area, but there's no reason to call a spade, a club.

Can the refs try any harder to give the game to the sens?

I hate to sound like a jerk... And again - i was at work all night so i did not get to watch the game, just listen on the radio... But after every game You guys have complained about the refs - i hate to say it, but you only look at the non-calls that hurt your team, you recieved one more power play than Ottawa, and it still didnt help.

I hate to sound like a jerk... And again - i was at work all night so i did not get to watch the game, just listen on the radio... But after every game You guys have complained about the refs - i hate to say it, but you only look at the non-calls that hurt your team, you recieved one more power play than Ottawa, and it still didnt help.

I'll say it, we played like pussies and deserved to lose. You make your own in the NHL. If Buffalo had taken the physical play to Ottawa, no one would be complaining. Everyone complaining about the refs sounds like that little kid who tells the teacher everything that everyone is doing no matter how mundane.

I agree. All I've seen after every loss at every board is complaints about the officiating. That doesn't put the puck in the net or send a wide open shot wide of the net. The Sabres can and have played more disciplined than to give up that many penalties. So far as I have heard/read, the game was tied 1-1 going into the 3rd. That means we had 20 minutes to close out the series and we didn't.