NHL Blackout Rules

BuffaloFansR_Crazy

Hopefully there is someone on here with a degree in Communication or a Law degree that can explain to me the how, why and history of the NHL Blackout policy. Due to their 5 day refund policy and failure to display a map of the tv market regions (and ignorance) I am out $160.

I am currently living in Buffalo sports purgatory. On Sundays I am forced to watch the NE Rats or NJ Giants, because my CBS and Fox feeds are broadcasted form Vermont. According to the NHL I am in the Sabres market because the service providers here carry MSG. I live 60 miles south of Montreal and 362 miles form the F'N Center. I was absolutely livid when I discovered tonight that the Sabres games, as well as the Rags, Devils, and Islanders are all blacked out on NHL GameCenter Live for my area.

How does the NHL expect to grow if they make it so difficult to follow your favorite team? Why does Center Ice and GCL block out the advertisement time companies have paid the broadcasting networks?

Why doesn't the NHL just make all their games available to patrons of their services?

"Garbage League" ~Mario Lemieux

P.S. Anyone ever have any luck setting up a proxy and using GCL?

Archived