The NHL Channel

notwoz

I am trying to figure out why the NHL Channel exists. They do broadcast the occasional game, but I can't figure out why the channel is on. They almost never have anything of interest. It seems to be mostly old videos of Wayne Gretzky or maybe a playoff game from 1989.

Down here in the Washington DC area, I subscribe to DirecTV's "sports pack" as well as Center Ice. Ever since Empire Sports Network went off the air (thanks Rigas family, I hope you spend eternity in the fires of everlasting torment), I haven't been able to find anything that gives me Buffalo sports coverage. I can watch Channel 529 and see pre-game and post-game programming on the Pirates and/or Penguins, ditto for the loca Washington sports channel MASN.

Anyway, it's 6:30 and I'm looking for something to tell me about tonight's Sabres-Bruins matchup (and no thanks I don't want to watch NESN). I flip to the NHL channel and they've got some puff piece videos on goalies -- none of whom are in the playoffs that I can tell. Can't they spring for a few has-been players and show some video to fill 30 minutes during the freaking playoffs.

Well, it's getting close to 7 p.m. -- I guess I can stop ranting, go to the kitchen, pour myself a cold one and wander over to the TV and PRAY TO GOD THAT THE SABRES BEAT THE F'ing BRUINS tonight.

I like NHL On The Fly, and their Sirius Radio show is good, too. But I agree, they need more real-time content. They should take a page from the NFL Network that way. They probably will tell you they don't have the $$$, though.

Agreed, compared to the MLB and NFL channels, the NHL channel looks like a local cable operation from the mid-70s. Not exactly something to attract new fans, in fact it turns off old fans.

Archived