[Sabre Rattling]Here?s Hoping Marty?s a Poor Debater

SabresBeat

Biron inks 2 year Deal with Flyers

$3.5 million a year, 2 years. Excellent deal for both sides, though The Mirtle disagrees with that assessment. The big news from a Sabres perspective is that the rumors of Marty pimping the Flyers to good friend Danny Briere are true.

“And if I have more conversations with him the rest of the year and the summer I’ll definitely say something good about the Flyers,” Biron said.

And why wouldn’t he? Marty’s not a Sabre anymore, he’s a Flyer and he wants to win. If I were in his shoes I’d be hard-pressed to say I wouldn’t do the same thing. Whether or not it’s a big deal or will have a big influence on Briere’s decisions come July 1st that’s a completely different matter.

It’s no secret that Philly will be using their prodigious cap space come July 1st to do a quick rebuild and add to a nice core of rising talent. Thinking back on the beginning of the season, Bob Clarke signing Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet was less a shrewd and machiavellian cap gamesmanship move and more one of desperation for a guy completely out of touch with his job.

To me it looks like Paul Holmgren is attempting to straddle that same line that JFJ has in Toronto. Real rebuilds are not an option so a large 1 or 2 year makeover which looks haphazard and mis-shapen to those of us outside of the fanbace is allowable. And like the Leafs last year, the Flyers targetted a goalie who has shown the ability to play well enough to turn his team into a contender and give them a chance to win on most nights. Say what you will about Raycroft, but he’s given that Leafs team pretty solid goaltending.

If I were Holmgren though, my first target in free agency would be a defensemen first. And I would target Chris Phillips from Ottawa. I’m sure there will be money left over to talk with Briere if he’s able to land Phillips, but we’ll see how things work out.

For me, I’m just hoping that while Marty certainly has the gift of gab, he doesn’t have good rhetorical skills as well.

Ta,

http://www.sabresreport.com/blogs/?p=454

Archived