Sens: "Team Ego"?

bottlecap

I wouldn't be panicking yet if I was them, but they are starting

to show signs of 'Team Ego'

Consider this post from hockeyrumors.com

Ott to Know Better

Neely4Life writes "

As a Sens fan, this is hard for me to do, and harder to let everyone else know, but the display of sportsmanship by them Thursday night against the Habs was disgusting.

To start off, there are all kinds of bets that go on in hockey rooms, things players say to each other, and a certain amount of respect shown to each other, teammate, and opponent. But bringing it out to the media, and throwing it in the other teams face is inexcusable.

Having bets to see if they can keep the shots under 10, that?s fine, shut up about it. You don?t bring it up in a press conference. Especially your head coach, who should be leading by example there.

Then Hasek, a vet, comes out and says, ?that shouldn?t even count as a shutout?. Come on Dom, you know that?s not the right thing to say, and it just gets other teams going. You say, ?Well out D played well, and shut them down.? Or, ?they had a tough game the night before, and didn?t look like they had their legs going.? Even, ?they just had one of those games where they didn?t seem to get anything going.?

As a Sens fan, this scares me, because the last thing they need are teams to hate them more, because lets face it, the Sens are the team to beat right now, and teams always get up for them. Now they will not only want to beat them, but hurt them as well, physically, mentally, and on the board. I really do hope they get blown out once or twice more this season, just to get their big heads back down to earth.

That being said, this isn?t a reflection on past years, Martin never let them get a big ego, which was a problem, but Murray I think allows them to get too into them selves, which isn?t good either. A team is always a reflection of the coach.

All this said, there are other teams that whine, there are other teams that dive, and there are other teams that show a lack of class. None of these teams are any better then the Sens for these things, but when you're on top of the league, pounding most of the teams you play into the ground ought to be enough.

Any locker room with Dom is going to be a little funky.

This is true.

I'm kinda disappointed in the Sens to be honest. The Alffy, Heatley and Spezza line hasn't been that great, esspicially on PPs, they've scored some real bueaty goals, but overall havn't really showed me much.

Any locker room with Dom is going to be a little funky.

haha agreed... dom hasn't changed a bit since he left buffalo... still plays the same way. still talks the same way and does ridiclous things all the time... ah well... such is life.

Yeah, but we all know, or should know, that the chase for the top seed in a conference or the top spot in the league is a fool's chase. Don't make me look up the fate of conference top seeds/Presidents Trophy winners over the years. Because I will. If I have to. Maybe.

This is true.

I'm kinda disappointed in the Sens to be honest. The Alffy, Heatley and Spezza line hasn't been that great, esspicially on PPs, they've scored some real bueaty goals, but overall havn't really showed me much.

What exactly do you want these guys to accomplish by the end of the season if you're disappointed right now? They went through a little slump, but only because Spezza was injured. If anyone should be impressed with the talent these guys posess, it should be a Sabres fan.

What exactly do you want these guys to accomplish by the end of the season if you're disappointed right now? They went through a little slump, but only because Spezza was injured. If anyone should be impressed with the talent these guys posess, it should be a Sabres fan.

Alfredsson missed a a few games too. That's when they really had trouble.

Yeah, but we all know, or should know, that the chase for the top seed in a conference or the top spot in the league is a fool's chase. Don't make me look up the fate of conference top seeds/Presidents Trophy winners over the years. Because I will. If I have to. Maybe.

Well, I did, at least as far as the President's Trophy winners are concerned. Mostly because I'm buzzed and bored.

Note: VERY little correlation between the Trophy and Cup winners, which begs the question as to which is the more impressive (as opposed to more prestigious--that's obivously the Cup) feat. A sixteen-team tournament is great, but so is an 80-game season. (Cf. EPL soccer's FA cup v. Premiership trophy.)

Anyway, in the 19 years in which the Trophy has been awarded, five Trophy winners won the Stanley Cup and one Trophy winner was awarded the Stanley Cup despite not gaining the four legal wins in a Finals series necessary to actually win the damned thing. You know who I mean. Here's the data:

Year Team

2004 Detroit Red Wings

2003 Ottawa Senators

2002 Detroit Red Wings--Cup

2001 Colorado Avalanche--Cup

2000 St. Louis Blues

1999 Dallas Asterisks--AWARDED the Cup

1998 Dallas Stars

1997 Colorado Avalanche

1996 Detroit Red Wings

1995 Detroit Red Wings

1994 New York Rangers--Cup