Miller to start in ATL

topshelfcookies

Lindy Ruff was on WGR's morning show and announced that Ryan Miller would start tonight vs Atlanta. Ruff acknowledged that part of his decision was based on the fact that Atlanta's GM overlooked Ryan for a spot on the Olympic team. Ruff also stated that he had really like Miller's play as of late, and felt that even though the team is finishing up a 6-game road trip, that the games have been spread out enough that Miller hasn't been overworked. He also said he plans to mix in Marty during the upcoming stretch of games before the Olympic Break.

Injury updates from the appearance:

Pyatt has been cleared to play, a deciscion will be made during the morning skate.

Connely has regained full range of motion, trainers are pleased with progress and it looks to be more of a 6wk injury than an 8wk injury.

Adam Mair is heading back to Buffalo to meet with the team doctor, is progressing.

Danny Briere is skating on his own, joined the team for shooting drills during practice in Buffalo the other day.

Ruff compared tonight's game in ATL to the TOR game, as the Thrashers are looking for this game to be a turning point in their season, and hopefully spark them...great feeling knowing that teams are looking at games vs. the Sabres as "measuring stick" games!

Thanks for the update on the starter tonight. I was wondering who was going to get the nod. I wonder when Biron is going to start again. Thursday night appears to be his turn in the rotation, but I could see Miller getting the start since Philly is such a tough team. I also think it's Miller in the net Saturday night vs. Ottawa. My guess would be next Tuesday against Montreal.

I heard the interview also on WGR-55, now lets see Miller go out and shut them out. I wrote to Don Waddell a couple of weeks, asking about Ryan Miller. Never heard back from him....Wonder why......????? because he knows he screwed up.

Feel free to write to him after the game tonight.

To ask a question of Executive VP & GM Don Waddell, please email: askthegm@atlantaspirit.com

Ideally, I would like to see Biron moved right before the Olympic break. That way Noronnen can be sent to Rochester for reconditioning. I know he turned down a reconditioning stint before, but if Biron is out of the picture that might change. Then he can get himself into shape during the break. Does anyone know if the Olympic roster freeze applies to calling players up and sending them down?

Ideally, I would like to see Biron moved right before the Olympic break. That way Noronnen can be sent to Rochester for reconditioning. I know he turned down a reconditioning stint before, but if Biron is out of the picture that might change. Then he can get himself into shape during the break. Does anyone know if the Olympic roster freeze applies to calling players up and sending them down?

Noronen will be unable to go to Rochester during the Olympic break.... the NHL goes into a roster freeze.

Noronen will be unable to go to Rochester during the Olympic break.... the NHL goes into a roster freeze.

I realize the NHL goes into a roster freeze. It's February 13-27. Maybe they can send him down for a reconditioning stint on February 12. Call him back up the 28th. So maybe it would be better to move Biron right after the break.

Thanks for the update on the starter tonight.  I was wondering who was going to get the nod.  I wonder when Biron is going to start again.  Thursday night appears to be his turn in the rotation, but I could see Miller getting the start since Philly is such a tough team.  I also think it's Miller in the net Saturday night vs. Ottawa.  My guess would be next Tuesday against Montreal.

My guess is that Marty starts in Philly. It's his turn (he seems to get every 4th start and that would be his if Lindy holds form), plus he's historically played well against Philly (career record 6-3-2 w/ 1.52 GAA).

My guess is that Marty starts in Philly. It's his turn (he seems to get every 4th start and that would be his if Lindy holds form), plus he's historically played well against Philly (career record 6-3-2 w/ 1.52 GAA).

I know it's his turn, but I don't think Miller needs the rest. The next 2 games are big enough that I think Ruff will break the rotation. Maybe I am wrong, but against Philly I am more comfortable with Miller in net. Especially after how he played back in Dec.

Start Biron against Philly?

Are you crazy?

Miller will be the starter until he has an average game. That's the only pattern Lindy follows.

well im glad to hear that... finally after years of screwing with goalies heads he's decided to run with one of them. well at least he's learning... way to go ruff!

I realize the NHL goes into a roster freeze. It's February 13-27. Maybe they can send him down for a reconditioning stint on February 12. Call him back up the 28th. So maybe it would be better to move Biron right after the break.

Noronen cannot be sent to Rochestor without first clearing wavers, this is why he isn't down there right now.

Noronen cannot be sent to Rochestor without first clearing wavers, this is why he isn't down there right now.

He can be sent down for reconditioning without clearing waivers. Back in October Ruff wanted to send him or Biron down for a few games of reconditioning, and they both declined. I was wondering if he would change his mind knowing it would be to prep him to get some starts.

Archived