tsn power rankings jan 29/06

rickshaw

Everyone in the hockey world expects the Sabres to free fall through out the second half because of their schedule. I expect them to have a rough go of it and land somewhere around 6th or 7th in the East.

Most "experts" also expected the Sabres to be roughly as good as Columbus has been to this point. I don't care what "everyone" says about the Sabres, as most of them don't pay nearly as much attention to them as I (and others on this board) do.

I have stated that I expected the team to play 0.500 through this stretch of Eastern teams leading to the Olympic break but with the win over the Rangers I am now expecting them to be slightly above 0.500 during this stretch (especially if they win in Atlanta).

I think they will have a higher winning percentage post Olympics (even with 4 games vs Ottawa then) as their youth and speed should be tremendous assets during a compressed schedule. Throw in another solid D-man (via trade) and an upgrade at forward (due to injuries healing, a trade, or both) and I like the way they look down the stretch.

That still might translate into 6th or 7th, but if Jersey finishes 5th I'd rather Buffalo end up 6th and facing Philly than 4th and facing Elias and Brodeur. And I don't see them dropping to 8th and the (apparently) inevitable matchup with the Otters. Carolina may hold Ottawa and Philly off, but I am still waiting for the Sabres game with them on the 12th to really size them up.

First of all, I'll start off by saying what I always say. Who cares? Do these power rankings mean anything at all? No, they don't. Until the NHL starts using the TSN power poll to seed for the playoffs, there is nothing to complain about.

Now onto the most likely explanation. From week one, this guy has made it very obvious that he's big on teams that have big time scorers, like say, Jagr with the Rangers. We just lost our 2nd leading scorer, Connolly, for a long period of time. That hurts this team in this guy's eyes.

First of all, I'll start off by saying what I always say. Who cares? Do these power rankings mean anything at all? No, they don't. Until the NHL starts using the TSN power poll to seed for the playoffs, there is nothing to complain about.

Now onto the most likely explanation. From week one, this guy has made it very obvious that he's big on teams that have big time scorers, like say, Jagr with the Rangers. We just lost our 2nd leading scorer, Connolly, for a long period of time. That hurts this team in this guy's eyes.

Funny thing is, I wrote the guy an e-mail about it, and that's exactly what he said!

TSN's rankings are a joke. Who even cares anyway. Everyone had the Sabres ranked somewhere between 12th and last place before the season started, so that proves the so-called "experts" don't know anything

i think we were bottom 5 on most of them, including TSN...

btw, welcome to this site man!

Everyone in the hockey world expects the Sabres to free fall through out the second half because of their schedule. I expect them to have a rough go of it and land somewhere around 6th or 7th in the East.

i expect us to stay 4th or 5th. busy is no excuse for losing a few places. we normally do quite well when we re busy as well.

The Sabres are in the neighborhood of 9-10-11 in points. Why should they be ranked as an elite team? And, as others have said, who cares!

Currently 8th with 2-3 games in hand on everyone above them save Ottawa.

Currently 8th with 2-3 games in hand on everyone above them save Ottawa.

ya know thats almost good enough for me... TSN power rankings are the stupidest thing in the world... and it gets us every time until we get 1st, 2nd or 3rd. i suggest we leave it be. besides were in 4th in conference... that means playoffs people... playoffs!

ya know thats almost good enough for me... TSN power rankings are the stupidest thing in the world... and it gets us every time until we get 1st, 2nd or 3rd. i suggest we leave it be. besides were in 4th in conference... that means playoffs people... playoffs!

good point... power rankings are essentially meaningless. Some one could have the TExans or the chicago bulls as the #1 in their power rankings and it would mean as much as having the seahawks or the senators as #1. it is the opinion of some pundit w/ a single digit IQ and a vocabulary to show for it. :P

good point... power rankings are essentially meaningless. Some one could have the TExans or the chicago bulls as the #1 in their power rankings and it would mean as much as having the seahawks or the senators as #1. it is the opinion of some pundit w/ a single digit IQ and a vocabulary to show for it. :P

See the thing is...I know you're right, but I can't help it!!! It drives me nuts every week.

See the thing is...I know you're right, but I can't help it!!! It drives me nuts every week.

haha its the pursuit of beating an idiot thats in control... i feel your pain but until the sabres win all 82 games in a season the guy running this power ranking will never rank them any higher then 10th... <_<

Archived