Doug Weight to Carolina

apuszczalowski

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152946&hubname=

I'm only posting this cause I know people have mentioned Buffalo as a possible home for Weight. (Not a big loss to me as I wonder at his age and price what he has left)

It sucks that he is going to and may have a huge impact with a team we will be fighting with in the playoffs.

There are no details as to who else might go to Carolina or who is going to St. Louis as of now since the deal is being finalized at the moment.

I agree looks like the blues have started cleaning house already maybe we can pick up a D-Man I have no clue to who is on the blues worth while however.

BOOYA!

55 Christian Backman Defense 6' 3" 208 04.28.1980 06.27.1998 Left

4 Eric Brewer (IR) Defense 6' 3" 220 04.17.1979 08.02.2005 Left

38 Kevin Dallman Defense 5' 11" 195 02.26.81 12.03.2005 Right

5 Barret Jackman Defense 6' 0" 209 03.05.1981 06.26.1999 Left

33 Steve Poapst Defense 6' 0" 199

01.03.1969 12.09.2005 Left

27 Bryce Salvador Defense 6' 2" 214 02.11.1976 12.16.1996 Left

28 Matt Walker (IR) Defense 6' 3" 227 04.07.1980 06.27.1998 Right

6 Eric Weinrich Defense 6' 1" 207 12.19.1966 02.09.2004 Left

25 Dennis Wideman Defense 6' 0" 200 03.20.1983 06.23.2002 Right

Now thats fast information now only if my company worked as fast as you do.

Was Jackman supposed to be a top 4 d man back when he came into the league? Salvador is a tuff mean guy too if Im not mistaken. Maybe we can ship Biron for a D and a forward?

The Blues just unloaded Sillinger to Nashville for a prospect. Maybe we could pluck something off their roster as well.

Anyone up for going after Tkachuk?

Zigomanus is a part of the deal. I bet that will make some Sabres fans complain.

I saw Zigomanis play for Lowell vs Albany River Rats last week in Albany. He has 2 goals and scored the winner with 30 seconds left. Voted first star. He looked decent.

Now thats fast information now only if my company worked as fast as you do.

Was Jackman supposed to be a top 4 d man back when he came into the league? Salvador is a tuff mean guy too if Im not mistaken. Maybe we can ship Biron for a D and a forward?

Jackman has offensive upside and Salvador is rugged. Morphed into one person they would be quite a package but individually I don't think either is better than what we got.

Ziggy is decent. IMO St Louis is doing their best to make a run at the Calder Cup (AHL) for their minor league.... make as much $$ for their affiliate as possible, get as much draft picks and maybe get a prospect for Thachuk, and hope they hit gold with atleast one of those draft picks, most likey the 1st rounder.

But i think their main "goal" this season is to finish last so they can grab either Johnson or Kessel in the draft. No matter how hard St Louis tries to deal Tkahuck or Weight, they would not have come close to the top prospect as Kessel. I'm sure St Louis did get better offers of players who would play in St Louis right now, but choose this route, more picks and ahl players, then nhl proven players.

To open another can of worms though, i honestly don't think Carolina is that good. I've heard alot of talk today about "Canes didn't need Weight" and BS like that, i still don't think he's enough. I've seen alot of their games on center ice and when they played us at HSBC arena, and they just don't impress me.

When you play Washington, Florida and Atlanta 8 times a season, life just gets much easier. And Tampa is nothing special this year either, so i don't think they will be so hot in the playoffs. Teams like Philly and Buffalo, who been injured and play in real tuff divisons, really impress me.

NO TKACHUK. He is an overpaid has-been that is injury prone and carries a ridiculous contract. Jackman would be amazing but I doubt St. Louis would part with him as their rebuilding process will probably center around him. I wanted Brewer but the injuries ruined that. By the way, wasn't Dennis Wideman in the Sabres system at one point??? Interesting to see he has found a way to stick with an NHL team, even if it is the worst team.

BOOYA!

55 Christian Backman Defense 6' 3" 208 04.28.1980 06.27.1998 Left

4 Eric Brewer (IR) Defense 6' 3" 220 04.17.1979 08.02.2005 Left

38 Kevin Dallman Defense 5' 11" 195 02.26.81 12.03.2005 Right

5 Barret Jackman Defense 6' 0" 209 03.05.1981 06.26.1999 Left

33 Steve Poapst Defense 6' 0" 199

01.03.1969 12.09.2005 Left

27 Bryce Salvador Defense 6' 2" 214 02.11.1976 12.16.1996 Left

28 Matt Walker (IR) Defense 6' 3" 227 04.07.1980 06.27.1998 Right

6 Eric Weinrich Defense 6' 1" 207 12.19.1966 02.09.2004 Left

25 Dennis Wideman Defense 6' 0" 200 03.20.1983 06.23.2002 Right

backman, jackman and brewer are the only worthwhile ones, but jackman you'll have to prize from their dead fingers. similar with brewer.

FWIW, I just listened to Lindy from this morning on the WGR audio vault. He said there had been some talks between the Sabres & the Blues regarding Weight but he didn't know how far it had gotten. He spoke very highly of Weight.

After listening to Lindy I'm kind of regretting that we didn't get Weight. Seems like Carolina didn't have to give up much for him -- one assumes we could've put together a better group of players -- ie Marty plus a pick. I'm guessing STL didn't want Marty's salary.

Of course when Connolly and Briere come back after the olympics itching to make up for lost time, and Miller continues to keep the door closed just to make it perfectly clear who should've been the olympic goalie -- hopefully it won't matter.

Go Sabres.

To open another can of worms though, i honestly don't think Carolina is that good. I've heard alot of talk today about "Canes didn't need Weight" and BS like that, i still don't think he's enough. I've seen alot of their games on center ice and when they played us at HSBC arena, and they just don't impress me.

living in NC i've had the opportunity to attend a few canes game this year, and i've got to be honest with you, they're a fun team to watch. they seem to get the most out of their players, and eric staal is for real. can he lead them to a run at the cup? i doubt it, but that's why they got weight. they have a good mix of vets (brind-amour, wesley, adams, stillman, whitney) and youngsters (staal, cole, williams, ladd), speed and grit. they have surprisingly good team toughness, and the defense is much better than it looks on paper.

they've really impressed me. one thing i have noticed is that they come out flying in the first period and then try to hang on to the lead in the third. that could come back to bite them in the butt one of these days. personally i'm really looking forward to the game down here in raleigh on the 12th. after the sabres take on philly and ottawa, the carolina game will give us a good perspective on how good they (the sabres) really are.

Archived