Ovechkin video....WOW!!!

LabattBlue

Great video...Don't get me wrong, I think Crosby is a great player and has a lot of talent, especially for an 18 year old, but Ovechkin is clearly the best rookie this year. This is also a good video for everyone who whines about the new NHL. A lot of his skill and creativity with the puck would be completely lost in the clutch and grab NHL of the last few years. I'm glad he's only 20, imagine how much he's going to develop in the next few years. It's too bad he is on Washington for a couple reasons:

1. He has no help.

2. I get the impression he doesn't get as much attention as he should from the DC sports market. Anyone in DC care to comment on that?

great link.

This kid is better than Sid. I don't care what anyone says. Crosby is very good. Ovie is a freakin stud. Calder winner in my book!

We can only dream of him in a Buffalo jersey. God, I wish.

1st line = Vanek, Briere, Ovie

I think I just wet my pants!!!!!

Great video...Don't get me wrong, I think Crosby is a great player and has a lot of talent, especially for an 18 year old, but Ovechkin is clearly the best rookie this year. This is also a good video for everyone who whines about the new NHL. A lot of his skill and creativity with the puck would be completely lost in the clutch and grab NHL of the last few years. I'm glad he's only 20, imagine how much he's going to develop in the next few years. It's too bad he is on Washington for a couple reasons:

1. He has no help.

2. I get the impression he doesn't get as much attention as he should from the DC sports market. Anyone in DC care to comment on that?

Well, everyone that I know of, and I spend a lot of time at ice rinks, talks about him all the time. We're all amazed at how great he already is.

great link.

This kid is better than Sid. I don't care what anyone says. Crosby is very good. Ovie is a freakin stud. Calder winner in my book!

We can only dream of him in a Buffalo jersey. God, I wish.

1st line = Vanek, Briere, Ovie

I think I just wet my pants!!!!!

I agree that Ovechkin is better right now. I've said it a million times, but I think it's unfair to compare the two right now. Crosby is still 18 years old. His development is 2 years behind Ovechkin. Ovechkin started playing in the Russian Super League when he was 16.

Look at Ovechkin's stats. When he was 18 and 19 he didn't put up numbers anything like he has this year. I realize this isn't the best argument in the world since he wasn't playing in the NHL, but last year he only put up 26 points (13 goals, 13 assists) in 37 games. Afinogenov put up similar numbers 27 points (13 goals, 14 assists) in 36 games on the same team. He is putting up much better numbers than Max this year. While there are a lot of different explanations, one of them could be that he really developed a lot between last season and this season. It would be interesting to see if Crosby has a similar jump in production when he hits 20 or 21. Like I said, not the best argument I have ever made, but just something to think about. With that being said...unless Crosby really dominates the next few months, Ovechkin is clearly the Calder winner.

Just another thought, imagine if Washington had won the lotterry this year? Could you imagine how scary it would be if the two of them developed together over the next few years? Crosby's creative playmaking and Ovechkin's creative goal scoring paired up?

I've been to a few Caps games this season. The last one, I couldn't take my eyes off this kid. He has a non-stop, high gear, smooth-running motor. He looks like he could stay out there for 5-minute shifts. He is always around the puck. It is impossible to not know he is on the ice. Think Guy LeFleur.

Right now, Ovechkin is better than SC. It's too bad Alex has such a weak supporting cast. The plus side is that the Sabres don't have to see him as much as some other teams do.

Archived