Sign McKee to a new contract???

LabattBlue

McKee will be a UFA at the end of the season. Should the Sabres sign him to a new contract?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. McKee will be a UFA at the end of the season. Should the Sabres sign him to a new contract?

• Yes
    • No

I know McKee isn't the perfect fit for the "new" NHL due to the fact that he isn't very quick and his puck handling skills are mediocre at best. That being said, I don't think he will break the bank and I'd like to see the Sabres give him a 3 year deal. Even though McKee has been with the Sabres for 10 years, he will only be 29 come September and I think his true value will start to show come playoff time.

i think resigning him would be a good thing... he steped on some people toes last year with his lockout talk but he seems to have alot of endurance and looks like someone who could grind it out through a long playoff strech. i would resign him. plus he's been here forever and identifies with the fans...

I know McKee isn't the perfect fit for the "new" NHL due to the fact that he isn't very quick and his puck handling skills are mediocre at best. That being said, I don't think he will break the bank and I'd like to see the Sabres give him a 3 year deal. Even though McKee has been with the Sabres for 10 years, he will only be 29 come September and I think his true value will start to show come playoff time.

Labatt -- Good poll question, but I think you need to put a dollar figure on it. I think most posters here like McKee (I certainly do), so most would want him to come back.

Maybe a better question would be: assuming (which I think we should) that the Sabres are going to keep their total payroll somewhere around the $28 million - $30 million level, should we re-sign McKee for $10 million (or $7 million or $12 million or whatever you think is the right number) for 3 years?

I don't think we are going to pay McKee $3 million per year. He's making $1.6 million this year. He's a good defenseman, good hitter, team leader, average skater, questionable durability, no offensive skills. I can see us going to $2 million per year with a 3-year deal at $7 million or so, but not much more than that.

Go Sabres. A win on tues. and we wind up that tough road trip at 4-2. That would not be bad at all.

We (aka Darcy) should offer a fair contract and not $1 more. He may expect more, and there may be a team out there willing to pay. While that will be a shame, hopefully teams will learn that a free agent that just signed the big contract isn't always the most motivated player.

I don't think we are going to pay McKee $3 million per year. He's making $1.6 million this year. He's a good defenseman, good hitter, team leader, average skater, questionable durability, no offensive skills. I can see us going to $2 million per year with a 3-year deal at $7 million or so, but not much more than that.

I think 3 years totaling betwen 7 and 8 million would be fair. Thanks for the insights.

I think 3 years totaling betwen 7 and 8 million would be fair. Thanks for the insights.

7-8M over three years is probably the right range although I think I'd perfer 4.5-5.5M for two years. I'm not convinced he has a ton left...

Archived