Luongo turns down $6M/yr.

Eleven

Here's the TSN.com article. Luongo isn't that much better than Biron, whose $2.1M salary supposedly was a trade obstacle last fall. Luongo certainly isn't worth three times as much. Maybe he just wants to change teams.

Speaking of Biron, deeper into the article, we find the real reason why he hasn't moved. Those who suspected that Regier is betting on a rise in value, are correct.

Finally, if Luongo signs for anything close to $6M, we're in trouble when Miller's contract comes to an end.

no way biron is as good as luongo... luongo is at least consistant... but i agree if teams start getting despearte to sign players and keep them then our contracts are going to go up espeically when the players were trying to sign see that we have 10 million in cap room to work with. miller is definatly getting a pay raise i would think.

Finally, if Luongo signs for anything close to $6M, we're in trouble when Miller's contract comes to an end.

I'm not sure when Miller is eligible to become a UFA, but you'll get an inside look at his future value($$$) come playoff time. Considering the Amerks flamed out in the playoffs last year with Miller in goal after a great regular season, I am anxiously awaiting the playoffs. I also can't get the media meltdown Miller had at the beginning of the 03-04 season out of my head. Time will tell.

I'm not sure when Miller is eligible to become a UFA, but you'll get an inside look at his future value($$$) come playoff time. Considering the Amerks flamed out in the playoffs last year with Miller in goal after a great regular season, I am anxiously awaiting the playoffs. I also can't get the media meltdown Miller had at the beginning of the 03-04 season out of my head. Time will tell.

Didn't Miller tear it up in the AHL playoffs two years ago?

You are right though, the true value of a goaltender is their ability in the playoffs.

$6 million for a man who plays the position that can single handedly deliver a Stanley Cup (well, almost) does not seem unreasonable...

yea but if you pay someone like theodore or belfour that.... and they don't deliver... guess what... your stuck... besides... after you lock up money your motivation to do well is killed.. you just kinda coast... its the pursuit of money that motivates people... id like to think theres some hockey players out there who play it for the love of the game... i think alot though are in it for themselves. come playoff time well see who's playing for the love of the game and who's coasting.

I agree 6 million is too much money for a long term investment....look at Thedore, enough said!

sign a goalie at 2 million and 2 other 2 million dollar players and you got your goalie and 2 good defenceman and a better team then your on 6 million dollar goalie.

Maybe hasek in his prime is worth 6 million

Win then deal out the cash not cash then win. Never works right Steinbrenner :o

Technically, Hasek was worth 8 million, at least that was what he made. I would have paid him double that but I'm not the GM for a reason. What you'll get for 2 million is Biron. What you'll get for 4 million (maybe), Ryan Miller. I'll take Miller at 4.

Here's the TSN.com article. Luongo isn't that much better than Biron, whose $2.1M salary supposedly was a trade obstacle last fall. Luongo certainly isn't worth three times as much. Maybe he just wants to change teams.

Speaking of Biron, deeper into the article, we find the real reason why he hasn't moved. Those who suspected that Regier is betting on a rise in value, are correct.

not much better than biron?

i would consider luongo one of the best 3 goalies in the league.

on the same not i refuse to accept anyone is worth 6mill per year. i suspect he wants to go on a team with some ability to succeed.

not much better than biron?

i would consider luongo one of the best 3 goalies in the league.

on the same not i refuse to accept anyone is worth 6mill per year. i suspect he wants to go on a team with some ability to succeed.

agreed... luongo made team canada.... and for good reason... biron.... even with his impressive streak when they were announcing the teams probably didn't even enter their minds.... i don't even consider the two on the same page... a world of difference in my mind.

Luongo is worth the cash. He may not have the best record or GAA, but he faces an average of 33 shots a night and stilll finds a way to keep his team in the game. If Florida could put a decent team together in front of him they would be dangerous. Luongo will be one of the next superstar goalies for years to come.

When Luongo gets a team to go somewhere (and five years of "but he's on a bad team" is a little long), maybe I'll consider him in the category of Brodeur, Hasek, Khabibulin, or Kiprusoff. There's still Belfour (albeit on a sharp decline), Giguere, Theodore, Turco, and likely some others, ahead of him in my book.

If and when Luongo finally produces even a freaking playoff appearance, I'll revisit my opinion. But right now, he's above-average, not great. Biron is average. $6M for above-average, when I could get some of the other goalies listed above for less? No way.

When people judge a goalie, are they even looking at the team they play for? Luongo plays for the freaking panthers and faces over 30 shots a game consistently, and people think he is no better then Biron? Put Biron on the panthers and he'll be lucky to win 2 in a row (and I actually thin he is a decent goalie)

Goaltending is the most important thing on a team (you think we as sabres fans would know all about this after haviong Hasek play for our team all those years)

Luongo is one goalie on a very short list that I would rather have than Ryan Miller (Kiprusoff being the other person on the list). When he is on his game, he is simply phenomenal.

Brodeur was on my short list until he signed a 6 year deal. He'll be 34 before this season is through and while he is a future hall of famer and those guys don't seem to age like normal people, I don't know that I would want to have salary tied up for 6 years on this Sabres team for a guy that old.

I'm not saying I think Ryan is one of the 3 best goalies in the game, but at this moment in time I like where he can end up and would not want to disrupt the team chemistry by swapping him for anyone but Luongo or Kiprusoff.

When people judge a goalie, are they even looking at the team they play for? Luongo plays for the freaking panthers and faces over 30 shots a game consistently, and people think he is no better then Biron? Put Biron on the panthers and he'll be lucky to win 2 in a row (and I actually thin he is a decent goalie)

Goaltending is the most important thing on a team (you think we as sabres fans would know all about this after haviong Hasek play for our team all those years)

Who said he was no better than Biron?

Archived