GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Pretty good night for the Sabres. They got two points, NJ one and Atlanta and Montreal got zero.

???

NJ got 2, winning in OT.

Montreal just tied it up 4-4 in the third.

Edit: going to OT in Pittsburgh, so Montreal gets at least 1.

Crosschecking, Niittymaki was in goal for the Flyers.

Pretty good night for the Sabres. They got two points, NJ one and Atlanta and Montreal got zero.

You sure about Montreal? They tied the Pens going into overtime.

???

NJ got 2, winning in OT.

Montreal just tied it up 4-4 in the third.

Edit: going to OT in Pittsburgh, so Montreal gets at least 1.

Crosschecking, Niittymaki was in goal for the Flyers.

Thanks for the update on Niittymaki. The general consensus is that Niittymaki will be the man in Philly for the time being. Esche? Who's that?

Back to the Sabres game for a sec...I was impressed by Marty tonight, he made some big stops at key moments. If he continues to play like that he'll make a strong case for a decent contract in free agency.

The NESN announcers were absolutely horrible, like usual.

Over the last few games, Briere & Drury have really picked up their games. I really hope Darcy finds a way to keep them both, and gets it done before they hit the open market.

Vanek seems to be MIA right now. Maybe he's sick (flu?) or maybe, like Miller, he just needs a night off.

Why, exactly, did the Bruins trade Raycroft to the Leafs? Thomas looks like a backup to me.

Back to the Sabres game for a sec...I was impressed by Marty tonight, he made some big stops at key moments. If he continues to play like that he'll make a strong case for a decent contract in free agency.

Why, exactly, did the Bruins trade Raycroft to the Leafs? Thomas looks like a backup to me.

Read what I said earlier about Thomas. Maybe he should go back to the SM-liiga, where he won an award there for goalie of the year.

Vanek seems to be MIA right now. Maybe he's sick (flu?) or maybe, like Miller, he just needs a night off.

That's a very good question. Now that I play hockey, if I'm even a little sick it really affects my game. I can work, do whatever I do socially when I'm sick, but playing hockey is so demanding that even being a little sick throws my game way off. I was wondering how the players handel that, especially the issue of giving it to other players if you are sick.

I don't find the announcers on NESN all that biased. They gave Tallinder props on the play to keep it in for a few more seconds and called Savard a diver. Frankly I found the announcers on Tuesday (Jack Edwards and someone else) worse when they were talking about how a Bruins player should cheap shot a Sabres player when they got a chance.

BTW, Mair's back.

yeah jack edwards is the douchebag on that network. he was decent on espn a few years ago (imo), but as a"homer" he's awful.

Pretty ho-hum game but I'll take the road win against a desperate team. A few notes:

1. chippy game, pretty loosely officiated.

2. I've criticized Marty as much as anyone, but he played very well again tonight.

3. I thought Kalinin got tripped on Boston's goal. It should have been a penalty, esp. b/c it created a turnover for Boston in the offensive zone. OTOH, Gaustad was probably guilty of interference on Drury's 1st goal and that one was let go also.

4. Pominville has scored a few from the slot off the faceoff this year like tonight's goal.

5. Any word on Spacek?

6. PP back in the doldrums tonight.

I guess it all depends what kind of person you are. When the Sabres do well, I don't say much on this board.

When they suck, I like to point out what I think they could do differently. Isn't that human nature?

I guess some folks see the world through rose colored glasses.

It's not all doom and gloom. We're not negative creeps (K.Cobain). We're just trying to offer up solutions.

I left for work right when Kalinin did his bone-head move behind the net. Terrible. I laughed when I saw the comments about cutting him before he hit the dressing room. That really was an awful decision he made to hold the puck and not rip it off the boards.

The NESN announcers have got to the be the worst.... I am always so disappointed, after waiting all day for the game, and I get their garbage on Center Ice. Don't get me wrong, I know RJ is a homer, but him and Lorentz don't repeatedly cry minute after minute as to what should have been a penalty.... It gets to the point where I just want to turn down the sound and sit in silence.....

I did watch most of the game with the sound off. There are some bad announcers out there but these guys are awful. They sound like babies whining all game long. What happened to play-by-play calling like RJ and Ted Darling. Most games these guys are just having conversations and just mentions goals in passing. What ever happened to HE SHOOTS - HE SCORES !!

Game thoughts...

-I think the Sabres had more body checks tonight then in any game this year. Like I said, it's all about attitude.

-I thought Drury skated as well as I have seen him all year. He seemed to have an extra jump in his step.

-Still too many giveaways.

-Biron played well, but I don't feel Boston had a ton of point blank shots.

-Vanek was invisible and the only times I noticed Max, he was acting like the old Max where he forgets that he was 4 teammates on the ice with him.

-That was a great shot by Pominville. It is what I expect but don't see out of Kotalik much.

GO SABRES!!!

The NESN announcers have got to the be the worst.... I am always so disappointed, after waiting all day for the game, and I get their garbage on Center Ice. Don't get me wrong, I know RJ is a homer, but him and Lorentz don't repeatedly cry minute after minute as to what should have been a penalty.... It gets to the point where I just want to turn down the sound and sit in silence.....

RJ & Lorentz are homers, they are just a lot more subtle about it. I really think NESN would completely ignore the opposition during the pregame and in-game announcing - except to tell us all how much the B's opponents cheat, they get away with stuff....

Oh, and someone please tell the NESN announcers it is not Marty Beeeron, and teach them how to say Gaustad's name as well.........

I honestly think that it is a subtle little way of them degrading/mocking the opponents, kind of like how Bush I purposely mispronounced "Saddam."

If not, then someone needs to slap the PbP announcer and tell him it's not Guh-staad, and it's not Beer-on.

post-47-1170434737_thumbpng

Thoughts from the game-

Anybody record it? I'd love a copy.

Somewhere around a third of those in attendance were Sabres fans. Very, strange, but cool. We were nearly surrounded by Sabres fans. Some from Lancaster, Lockport, and a guy who grew up on the West Side who let his ~9 year old son be corrupted into being a Bruins fan... When the B fans tried to chant "Lets go Brew-ins", it would get drowned out by "Lets go Buffalo." I expected to hear "Lets go Buffalo" but not to the extent that I did. I think it was the group JCBoston was talking about, but they were loud all night.

As for the game, wjag predicted it well. It was pretty tight. If the Bruins played every night like they did last night, and the refs put their whistles away like they did, they'd probably make the playoffs. They were the better team in the first 10-15 minutes of the game, and I think they were playing hard the whole game.

The PP goal by Drury via Stuart was intentional. Campbell was cut off by Stuart and heading to the net for a rebound.

Vanek must still be recovering from the flu. Didn't even notice him until the 3rd.

Briere got crushed twice, maybe 3 times.

Chara was upended about 15 feet from me, and I think it registered about 5.2 on the Richter Scale.

The Pominville goal developed right in front of us (see the pic). Pretty cool seeing the play develop from that view. I'd hoped to see a lot more of that type of execution.

Kotex just doesn't seem to belong on this team. He just seems out of sync with everyone else. Make sure there is someone there to cycle it to before you clear the zone for the other team. Please?

Max is a lot of fun to watch, even if he didn't quite get the shot off.

I was hoping for a Mair-Primeau rematch, not Boyes-Lydman. Even before I noticed the fight Toni had already had blood on his face. I half wondered if he'd been sucker punched.

Biron played a very good game. In the second period, he reminded me of Miller because he just always seemed to anticipate where the puck was going. He always seemed in position. If Miller gets hurt, our SC hopes take a small hit, but hope is by no means lost.

Mrs. KR talked about calling the sitter after the first, but was convinced not to. When I asked after the second if she was going to call, she said she wasn't really worried, she just missed them. :D (Truth be told, I can hardly wait till they're old enough to appreciate going to a game. West Side's boy got a puck.)

RJ & Lorentz are homers, they are just a lot more subtle about it. I really think NESN would completely ignore the opposition during the pregame and in-game announcing - except to tell us all how much the B's opponents cheat, they get away with stuff....

The B's announcers are absolutely brutal and I agree with what has already been mentioned about their constant whining about calls / non-calls. What is most annoying to me though is that the play by play jackass sounds like someone just died when the Sabres score. Let there be no doubt, RJ is a homer, but at least he tries to raise his voice in recognition when the other team scores.