GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

like i said, a bunch of you guys were all excited after the game the other night and i said, big deal, it wont mean anything unless we beat em again on thursday.... which is true...

we beat a crap team at home, wow, our problems aint solved yet

already down 1-0, hope they can pull it together, whens the last time we had a winning streak of at least 4 games?

i wouldnt wanna face $hittsburgh right now in the playoffs, would you?

I bet we would lose that series playing like this

Yeah. Kotalik is nothing like he was last year on the point. Bad passes, few one timers, and bad decisions.

Yeah, and I understand that he's part of a mockup that the Howard Simon show did that was loosely based on Bud Light's "Real Men of Genius", where they dedicate it to "Mr. 'Shoot the puck on the power play' Guy". A mention of the name "Dmitri" comes up, which refers to Kalinin.

Has anyone heard it? I think it's awfully funny (if not brutally truthful and honest).

I don't understand how someone could get a penalty and the other person can get called for diving. That's dumb.

If you've listened to Home Ice on XM Radio, Steven Walkom, the NHL boss for all the refs, said that this is possible.

A penalty for the offender and a Golden Swan for the diver can take place at the same time.

These guys are the worst by far. I have center ice and watch a ton of games and these guys are easily the worst.

These NESN announcers are frigging brutal- like always. Cannot believe the amount of whining they do nightly...

These guys are the worst by far. I have center ice and watch a ton of games and these guys are easily the worst.

When I had NHL Center Ice on DirecTV, I noticed the same thing too. They were immune to excitement.

If someone had to draw comparisons, most of us would rather watch the coverage on Versus/OLN with Bill Clement as opposed to Mr. Middleton et al (and I understand that some of us Sabres fans can't stand Clement!).

The announcers on HD Net are terrible as well. Is anybody else close to writing this game off already? The Sabres are playing in slow motion again and have the losing look this evening.

It's not even the end of the 1st period, and you're giving up on them already! Shame on you!

I'd hate to see how you react during playoff time. :chris: :death:

1st period thoughts:

Throw the damn puck on Thomas. Could he look any shakier?

Two long periods of NESN announcers ahead. DirecTV, OnDemand, Center Ice - can we please pay a little extra to get just MSG feeds? Or can we pay extra to keep the NESN feed off the air? PLEASE?

Our PP is back to looking awful. The secret is officially out - press our guys and they cannot make the play...

These announcers are terribly biased. Although, RJ is the king of homerism.

I have no idea if the NESN guys are independent or not, but RJ is employed by the Sabres, which provides a good excuse for his homerism.

Anyway, a horrendous first half of the period for Buffalo, but I liked the way they were moving the puck the last seven or so minutes. Thomas looks shaky tonight, looks like the Sabres just need to keep shooting it on net.

Briere gets hit in the face with a stick. No call.

A Boston guy holds up someone on the boards in the Bruins end, even the Bruin announcer says he expects a penalty. No call.

Axelsson runs into Biron, he goes down. Call against Axelsson, oh but wait, diving by Biron.

During the 4 on 4, Kotalik whacks some Bruin d-man across the arm two times, easily slashing, especially by the 'new' rules whereby you cannot lay your stick on an opponent. No call.

What a bunch of garbage. New NHL?

That freakin' diving penalty has got to go. I don't like diving, I hate it. But it's one or the other. If the ref deems a guy to have dived while no penalty was deserved, have the balls to call a 2 minute minor for that. If a guy embellishes what was already a penalty, call the penalty, but don't call a dive. The guy wouldn't have to embellish if the refs consistently called the game. But when a player is gaining an advantage on the play, and the other player is the victim, he has to make sure the ref sees the infraction or knows one was committed.

For example, Derek Roy gets held up 5 straight times, with no call. Finally, he tumbles to the ice to make sure the call is made. I submit that he has to do that. Suppose on the previous 5 occasions, the advantage gained by the opponent resulted in goals? Derek Roy gets chewed out by the coach, maybe gets benched, maybe gets sent to the minors, maybe loses his job. And why? Because the slacker refs won't call it by the book.

Back to the diving penalty. I say if the ref feels a player embellished a penalty, the team should still get the PP, but that player receives a misconduct. He sits for 2 or 5, maybe a first infraction is 2, a second is 5. If he's a repeat offender, suspensions come into play, like they currently do. The way it is now, it's a cheap cop-out by the ref.

Suppose Marty didn't go down there, but Axelsson tips it in for a goal? Marty can't trust the ref to make the call, he has to make sure the ref notices, otherwise Marty's stats are hurt and the team. It should be 2 for Axelsson and 2 or 5 misconduct for Marty with someone else sitting in the box.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Briere gets hit in the face with a stick. No call.

A Boston guy holds up someone on the boards in the Bruins end, even the Bruin announcer says he expects a penalty. No call.

Axelsson runs into Biron, he goes down. Call against Axelsson, oh but wait, diving by Biron.

During the 4 on 4, Kotalik whacks some Bruin d-man across the arm two times, easily slashing, especially by the 'new' rules whereby you cannot lay your stick on an opponent. No call.

What a bunch of garbage. New NHL?

That freakin' diving penalty has got to go. I don't like diving, I hate it. But it's one or the other. If the ref deems a guy to have dived while no penalty was deserved, have the balls to call a 2 minute minor for that. If a guy embellishes what was already a penalty, call the penalty, but don't call a dive. The guy wouldn't have to embellish if the refs consistently called the game. But when a player is gaining an advantage on the play, and the other player is the victim, he has to make sure the ref sees the infraction or knows one was committed.

For example, Derek Roy gets held up 5 straight times, with no call. Finally, he tumbles to the ice to make sure the call is made. I submit that he has to do that. Suppose on the previous 5 occasions, the advantage gained by the opponent resulted in goals? Derek Roy gets chewed out by the coach, maybe gets benched, maybe gets sent to the minors, maybe loses his job. And why? Because the slacker refs won't call it by the book.

Back to the diving penalty. I say if the ref feels a player embellished a penalty, the team should still get the PP, but that player receives a misconduct. He sits for 2 or 5, maybe a first infraction is 2, a second is 5. If he's a repeat offender, suspensions come into play, like they currently do. The way it is now, it's a cheap cop-out by the ref.

Suppose Marty didn't go down there, but Axelsson tips it in for a goal? Marty can't trust the ref to make the call, he has to make sure the ref notices, otherwise Marty's stats are hurt and the team. It should be 2 for Axelsson and 2 or 5 misconduct for Marty with someone else sitting in the box.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Makes about as much sense as Game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals. BTW, this one is for all the refs and the league bosses about that game: :wallbash: :sick: :bag: :death: