Can anyone recommend a good hockey skate?

SDS

Sorry for the personal request, but I haven't skated in eons and I plan to try and get into an Adult Ice Hockey League this May. I would like to pick up some skates for my wide, Fred Flintstone feet.

Any recommendations?

Support ,protection and no pressure points. You don,t need blisters! Spend a little extra if you have to because blisters can really ruin the mood. Welcome back to the game. Oh yeah, make sure the darn skates fit properly or you will have problems in every aspect of the game.Go a little high end if you can. you will appriciate it.

I don't think you can go wrong with Bauer or CCM. I get my stuff from Great Skate. I love their convenient loations as well, lol.

Great Skate - Headquarters USA Great Skate - Sweden AB

3395 Sheridan Drive

Amherst, New York 14226

Phone: (716) 838-5100

Fax: (716) 838-5123

Location Map

Bildhuggarvagen 5

12144 Johanneshov

Phone / Fax: 08-915582

www.greatskate.se

Great Skate - Japan Great Skate - Finland

476 Imaichi

Imaichi-Shi Tochigi Ken

Japan 321 1261

Phone: 0288(21)3665

Fax: 0288(21)4822

www.greatskate.co.jp

Pro Star Finland Oy Eerikinkatu 37

20100 Turku

Phone: (02) 4690 511

Fax: (02) 4690 3102

www.greatskate.fi

Good forums on skates and fit specifics can be found at www.modsquadhockey.com. Since I believe you are in Maryland, the best service you can find in a local pro shop is at The Pond in Newark, DE. Managers name is Scotty and he hooks everyone around with his great service. Skates at all price ranges.

I understand fit is important, but I was hoping a few models could be suggested as there are so friggin' many. I'm trying to make this a fairly painless purchase, so I wanted to zero in on some models that wouldn't fall apart or have known issues that I should avoid.

You can't go wrong with a Bauer boot...I've had many and they seem to break in well and hold up long term. Unless you skate like Maxim, top end of any of the lines is overkill. Watch the model #'s though..different stores carry different models (some made just for that store chain) featuring different price points just to screw you up. Mid range Bauer Supremes are good.

Maybe not a good example but Rob Ray used to wear the lowest of the Bauer line...he wasn't the best skater but I'll guarantee he was better than you or I.

I understand fit is important, but I was hoping a few models could be suggested as there are so friggin' many. I'm trying to make this a fairly painless purchase, so I wanted to zero in on some models that wouldn't fall apart or have known issues that I should avoid.

I have a 3.5 year old pair of Grafs that I've worn probably at least 1000 times refereeing and playing, and they're still great.

I also have a second pair of custom made Grafs (bunions) that I have had for about a year, which I only use for refereeing. They were $411.00 custom made at the Graf factory, so I don't want to wear them for playing hockey until I absolutely have to. I want these things to last!

Go to a reputable skate shop, tell them about your wide feet and any problems you may have with them. Don't skimp, Scott!

You can't go wrong with a Bauer boot...I've had many and they seem to break in well and hold up long term. Unless you skate like Maxim, top end of any of the lines is overkill. Watch the model #'s though..different stores carry different models (some made just for that store chain) featuring different price points just to screw you up. Mid range Bauer Supremes are good.

Maybe not a good example but Rob Ray used to wear the lowest of the Bauer line...he wasn't the best skater but I'll guarantee he was better than you or I.

I played in a men's league in Buffalo in the summer of 96 and Rayzor was playing on one of the teams. My brother was amazed that I thought Ray was the best player on the ice. I had to explain to my brother that although he doesn't score a lot of goals, he's STILL IN THE NHL, which makes him in the top 1% of all hockey players in the world. I couldn't move him from in front of the net for anything!

I played against Richie Dunn in that same league. Same thing - impossible to move.

Both guys were great to play against, though. They weren't !

Guest Guest_JSHockeyguy7

heya SDS, been playing hockey for 13 years and i have had em all, bauer, CCM etc... but you cannot beat Graf at all.... a little pricey but worth it in the long run and your feet will thank you.

I have a 3.5 year old pair of Grafs that I've worn probably at least 1000 times refereeing and playing, and they're still great.

I also have a second pair of custom made Grafs (bunions) that I have had for about a year, which I only use for refereeing. They were $411.00 custom made at the Graf factory, so I don't want to wear them for playing hockey until I absolutely have to. I want these things to last!

Go to a reputable skate shop, tell them about your wide feet and any problems you may have with them. Don't skimp, Scott!

DC - So it really is possible to develop bunions from hockey skates?!??! I've been skating since I was 5 years old and just this year for the first time I ever I have started to develop problem. Ironically, I bought brand new CCM Vector's which the m ost money I spent on skates in ages but I've always worn CCM. I think I might have to go the custom route. All I pretty much do these days is officiate...

i can't recommend a model, but i can tell you that bauers generally fit wider feet better than CCMs. i've always worn CCMs for the same reason i am recommending bauers to you!

i can't recommend a model, but i can tell you that bauers generally fit wider feet better than CCMs. i've always worn CCMs for the same reason i am recommending bauers to you!

I think I'll try to remember that for next time...

DC - So it really is possible to develop bunions from hockey skates?!??! I've been skating since I was 5 years old and just this year for the first time I ever I have started to develop problem. Ironically, I bought brand new CCM Vector's which the m ost money I spent on skates in ages but I've always worn CCM. I think I might have to go the custom route. All I pretty much do these days is officiate...

Bunions are usually hereditary (thanks Mom!), but ill-fitting shoes/skates can cause them also. Mine were started by baseball spikes (I liked them too tight) and too much softball. Once I was done with softball, I began officiating ice hockey and had skates pressing on the bunion areas all the time, which made them worse. I finally got Grafs and had them stretched to specifically fit around my bunions (aaaaggghhhh), and now I'm on my second pair, which were custom made. They trace your foot and make the sole plate of the skate from that template. They also measure your foot at specific points to get them just right. They are wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived