GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Game thoughts...

-Solid 60 minute effort. Dominating in both zones. Very few good opportunities for Boston.

-Crowd was into the game. Good to see the fans "alive" after a 3 game losing streak.

-Briere is money...$$$$

-Paetsch as a 4th liner and extra dman(if needed) is a 100% better option than Peters in the lineup. Hopefully we will only see Peters for another 5 or 10 games from here on out.

-Note to Kotalik...When you come down the wing with the puck can you change it up every now and then? I don't mind if he can get a hard shot off, but time after time, it's a lame ass wrist shot. How about carrying the puck into the corner and behind the net and attempting to make a pass from there? How about trying to drive to the net? He is a very frustrating player to watch.

-Glad Tallinder is back. I didn't expect to see him back this fast. He does make a big difference.

GO SABRES!!!!

Priceless article from the Boston Globe this AM... here is a snippet:

"The parade of horribles began with a Wayne Primeau hold (0:17), followed by a Shean Donovan hook (1:06) and then a delay of game at 2:04 when captain Zdeno Chara popped the puck over the glass. Eleven seconds after Big Z's little boo-boo, Vanek hammered home the go-ahead goal. The landslide had begun.

Adding to the horror show, the Bruins lost Krejci for the night when he was drilled by a stiff elbow to the upper body from Sabres forward Adam Mair. Called up from Providence earlier in the day, Krejci was out cold on his feet at 14:51, after only three shifts and 2:07 in ice time. Brad Stuart and team trainer Don DelNegro scraped him off the ice and sent him on his way to the dressing room, one heck of a Wile E. Coyote welcome to the big leagues.

"I don't remember how I got in the room," said Krejci, who will be examined today in Boston, his availability for tomorrow night's game doubtful. "I'm feeling better every minute. It's up to the coach if I can play. I could play if it was up to me."

Typical of Boston's play this season, no one ever took Mair to task for the high hit. There was a slight dustup after the belt, but it amounted to nothing more than pixie dust.

Primeau engaged him in what would best be called a courtesy bout midway through the third, but all in all, the Bruins do little sticking up for each other. Savard was boarded from behind late in the second by Gaustad, the score at 5-1, and again there was no retaliation.

They all wear the same uniform, but a team is woven in spirit, not in textiles. Right now the Bruins look worn out and lost."

Adding to the horror show, the Bruins lost Krejci for the night when he was drilled by a stiff elbow to the upper body from Sabres forward Adam Mair.

Not that it matters, but I thought that was a totally clean hit by Mair that shouldn't have been penalized. That penalty gave the Bruins a 5-on-3 for a full 2 min., which they cashed in for their only goal.

-Paetsch as a 4th liner and extra dman(if needed) is a 100% better option than Peters in the lineup. Hopefully we will only see Peters for anothe 5 or 10 games from here on out.

Yes yes yes. He was effective and he played with an edge. His presence should also keep a fire lit under Kalinin, Spacek et al.

Not that it matters, but I thought that was a totally clean hit by Mair that shouldn't have been penalized. That penalty gave the Bruins a 5-on-3 for a full 2 min., which they cashed in for their only goal.

The hit itself was clean, the only thing I think they can have issue with is that it came just after the whistle (when the B's touched the puck for the penalty.)
Yes yes yes. He was effective and he played with an edge. His presence should also keep a fire lit under Kalinin, Spacek et al.

I like his flexibility, in being able to handle playing two dissimilar positions, contribute to the PP - how long have we been screaming for someone to get a shot through from the point on the PP? - and I really hope Dmitri, Jaro & co. realize that he is pushing them for ice time.

The hit itself was clean, the only thing I think they can have issue with is that it came just after the whistle (when the B's touched the puck for the penalty.)

Is that why it was called? I thought the call was charging? Is a hit after the whistle categorized as charging? Just curious.

Is that why it was called? I thought the call was charging? Is a hit after the whistle categorized as charging? Just curious.

I don't know. It was called charging, but after watching the replay a couple times, the hit itself is clean - I don't see any charging or elbowing or anything. The only problem is that does come about a full second after the whistle. My quick search of the NHL rulebook didn't turn up any specific penalty for hitting after the whistle, but the online version is pretty watered-down.

Game thoughts...

-Solid 60 minute effort. Dominating in both zones. Very few good opportunities for Boston.

-Crowd was into the game. Good to see the fans "alive" after a 3 game losing streak.

-Briere is money...$$$$

-Paetsch as a 4th liner and extra dman(if needed) is a 100% better option than Peters in the lineup. Hopefully we will only see Peters for anothe 5 or 10 games from here on out.

-Note to Kotalik...When you come down the wing with the puck can you change it up every now and then? I don't mind if he can get a hard shot off, but time after time, it's a lame ass wrist shot. How about carrying the puck into the corner and behind the net and attempting to make a pass from there? How about trying to drive to the net? He is a very frustrating player to watch.

-Glad Tallinder is back. I didn't expect to see him back this fast. He does make a big difference.

GO SABRES!!!!

Even if Paetsch doesn't play wing, 10 games is a lot of the remaining season to see Andy (1 in 3), so I'd expect to only see him in about 5 games (ideally fewer).

I don't know. It was called charging, but after watching the replay a couple times, the hit itself is clean - I don't see any charging or elbowing or anything. The only problem is that does come about a full second after the whistle. My quick search of the NHL rulebook didn't turn up any specific penalty for hitting after the whistle, but the online version is pretty watered-down.

It looked like it was called by the ref that was behind the goal line, so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't TOTALLY see the play. With that, the hit coming after the whistle, the Bruin dropping like he'd been shot, and the refs calling a tight game it adds up to a charging penalty.

There is no specific call for hitting someone after the play is dead. If it's clearly outside of a follow through of the ongoing play it could be called unsportsmanlike conduct or roughing (or any of the other myriad of penalties that it may have been had the play occurred before the whistle blew).

There is no specific call for hitting someone after the play is dead. If it's clearly outside of a follow through of the ongoing play it could be called unsportsmanlike conduct or roughing (or any of the other myriad of penalties that it may have been had the play occurred before the whistle blew).

I was so angry after they made that call on Mair for the hit after the whistle. The last game we played in Boston Chara would knock down Roy after every whistle and nothing would be called. Mair lays a check on someone his own size after a whistle and gets a call when a good knocks down someone half his size and gets nothing. Sometimes I just dont understand how the refs can call things at certain times and totally ignore something obvious..