GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I don't hate Marty or wish him gone. But facts are facts. He wants to be a starter somewhere, yet hasn't proven himself capable. It's even arguable that he hasn't proven himself as a capable backup in the "new" NHL. He makes $2M per year, which isn't that much for starter, but is quite a lot for a backup. I also don't want to romanticize his salary as Marty simply being lucky that his contract ran out at the right time - he did hold out for more money at the start of the 99-2000 season, missing the team's first 18 games. I guess I see him sort of like I see Kalinin - we have been waiting forever for him to consistently play to his potential, yet he teases us with 32 great stops, and lets in one or two bad goals to cost his team the game.

You almost get the feeling like he is a mid-range NFL quarterback who still thinks he can start, but doesn't realize that his career path is heading down the backup route.

Dave, what 10 starting goalies would so he is better than? I don't see more than four or five, myself, but I don't see many more than that. I think he might be surprised when free agency starts, because I don't think he is going to be as sought after as he hopes.

As for Timmy, I want him back and completely healthy as much as the next Sabres fan. I just don't want to get my hopes up that he'll be back far enough before the playoffs to make a difference, and that he'll be the magic bullet that will cure all this team's ills, which I suspect some fans are thinking. Timmy isn't going to change this team's work ethic, nor does he add any toughness, and those have been the two biggest knocks on the team this year.

Hopeless posted something along the lines of your question a few weeks back in the Game Discussion Thread of 1/5. (Actually, in that thread, I had him starting on 5 teams (Colorado, Florida, Filly, St. Louis, and Tampa) and possibly starting on another 5 (Boston, Columbus, Ottawa, Phoenix, and Toronto).)

In my post you are referring to, I didn't say that he necessarily would start on 10 other teams. I said there were somewhere between 20-39 guys in the league that are better than him which includes guys from teams that have 2 studs (Anaheim and SJ come to mind immediately). Considering you think he'd be able to start on 4-5 teams, I think we're pretty close to being on the same page for his abilities.

Here are the lines that were on the ice in practice the past two days:

VANEK-DRURY-KOTALIK

POMMER-BRIERE-HECHT

PAILLE-ROY-MAX

PAETSCH-GOOSE-MAIR

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5129

Some thoughts about these lines:

1. Pommer, Hecht and Briere -- Seems good for Hecht lately but Pommer's scoring has dried up.

2. Vanek, Drury, Kotalik -- Everybody who plays with Drury gets better. Wonder if all that chemistry on the RAV line is now destroyed.

3. Paille, Roy, Max: I remember Vanek saying he never knows what Max is going to do, but at least he was able to mesh. Putting Paille up there seems to be pointless to me... This line will suffer.

4. Paetsch, Goose, Mair - Don't care, they score about as often as a blue moon. Too bad for Goose.. He seems to draw the short straw repeatedly.

wgr sux...anyone else click on their "audio vault" only for it not to come up, or its the whiner line from like weeks ago?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the feed on XM. BTW, SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE on the power play!

:ph34r: :ph34r: - 0