GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7pm

I do realize that the sabres have stunk for the past few weeks, but i'm guarenteeing a victory tomorrow. TAllinder's back, there's talk of shaking up the lines with paetsch, and there's an ACTUAL TIMETABLE FOR THE RETURN OF TIM CONNOLLY!

Add that to the fact that the lockerrom is boiling over, the PP is beginning to roll (yes, in those 2 weekend losses, the PP was actually a bright spot), and the trade deadline is looming. The sabres will win tomorrow night and that's all i have to say about that!

FWIW, Rangers smoked the Bruins tonight, 6-1, in Boston.

Not sure how that will affect tomorrow night's game.

The B's d-men really left the goalies out to dry tonight. Toivonen replaced Thomas and both played at about the same level (Thomas - 3 G on 15 shots; Toivonen - 3 G on 14 shots). Hannu was supposed to get the start in Buffalo according to the press. So if we throw in a mixed up goalie situation, a bad loss, late night travel, second game in 2 nights, the B's total defensive performance, and Corp's personal guarentee for victory, I think this could be a great setup for bounce back game at home. Then again, I've been proven wrong in most of those situations, except the last. :)

The B's d-men really left the goalies out to dry tonight. Toivonen replaced Thomas and both played at about the same level (Thomas - 3 G on 15 shots; Toivonen - 3 G on 14 shots). Hannu was supposed to get the start in Buffalo according to the press. So if we throw in a mixed up goalie situation, a bad loss, late night travel, second game in 2 nights, the B's total defensive performance, and Corp's personal guarentee for victory, I think this could be a great setup for bounce back game at home. Then again, I've been proven wrong in most of those situations, except the last. :)

Sorry for being the Cassandra here... But, I fear the exact opposite! Boston should be Smokin'...

:bag:

has anyone else been waiting for this type of prediction since, like November? i keep waiting for these guys to come out pissed off, putting d-men through the backboards on the forecheck, and skating like we haven't seen since weeks 1-4...

honestly, at this point i don't know what to expect, but you can't ask for the table to be set any better that is for sure...

has anyone else been waiting for this type of prediction since, like November? i keep waiting for these guys to come out pissed off, putting d-men through the backboards on the forecheck, and skating like we haven't seen since weeks 1-4...

honestly, at this point i don't know what to expect, but you can't ask for the table to be set any better that is for sure...

I think the difference is that this team is finally pissed off. It's taken way longer than it should have, but this team is truly pissed off and its boiling over. It's not like they don't have the talent... They have enough talent to roll over the rest of the nhl any day of the week. I think that the weekend losses was the perfect storm for this group.

I think the difference is that this team is finally pissed off. It's taken way longer than it should have, but this team is truly pissed off and its boiling over.

What gives you that idea? Were they tugging on each others hair in the locker room? Maybe a purse fight?

and there's an ACTUAL TIMETABLE FOR THE RETURN OF TIM CONNOLLY!

Honestly I think the chances are better that Buffalo will dress one of the SabreSpace posters before Timmy comes back...

If you define capable as paying a backup 2.2 mil for a 3.17 GAA and a .892 save percentage, then you are correct, we have a capable backup. <_<

I guess the definition of "capable backup" has been somewhat relaxed in recent years...

Over/under on number of softies Marty lets in before we remember why he is a backup?

I think the difference is that this team is finally pissed off. It's taken way longer than it should have, but this team is truly pissed off and its boiling over. It's not like they don't have the talent... They have enough talent to roll over the rest of the nhl any day of the week. I think that the weekend losses was the perfect storm for this group.

I've gone underground for a few games here, although I have watched them all. Whether the team is pissed or not doesn't matter. You can be pissed and still not play up to potential. The bottom line for me is that they haven't played good D in a long time. Offense has cooled down about a goal per game since the heady days of October and their goals against has remained about the same. That translates into losses.

It may be perception, but the guy who has cooled off to me is Vanek. He is taking lots of shots or is near goals, but they ain't going in lately. I'd like to see the RAV line kick it up a notch.

It may be perception, but the guy who has cooled off to me is Vanek. He is taking lots of shots or is near goals, but they ain't going in lately. I'd like to see the RAV line kick it up a notch.

except for Vanek is now playing with Danny and JP.

Honestly I think the chances are better that Buffalo will dress one of the SabreSpace posters before Timmy comes back...

good one. But Timmy is coming back.

Over/under on number of softies Marty lets in before we remember why he is a backup?

For me it's zero.

I agree and would add Max into the underperforming category -- which is why I think Lindy has cut his ice time recently (16:23 vs. NYI, 15:02 vs. Col, 16:25 vs. Mon).

except for Vanek is now playing with Danny and JP.

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't Hecht back with Danny and Pommer on Sat. night vs. the Isles, and RAV united?

In any event, I expect a good effort tonight. I also expect Tallinder's presence to make a real difference, as it usually does. Unless Marty gives it away I expect a win.

doesn't matter. i said he's "capable," not chris mason. relax.

as long as a guy puts wins on the board as a backup, i'm happy.

And as I (and others) noted, the definition of capable is being stretched here. For $2M, his GAA and SV % should be a lot better than what Marty has put up. Are you really as comfortable with Marty between the pipes as you are Ryan?

good one. But Timmy is coming back.

Great. When? Maybe 6-8 weeks, barring setbacks?

For me it's zero.
You can't put the over/under number at zero. ;) (BTW, I think we'll all be yelling at the TV for at least one bad goal tonight. I hope I am wrong, but...)

So what is your take on him? That he doesn't give up as many "soft" goals as everyone thinks, or that we expect too much of a guy most people consider a no.1 somewhere else?

And as I (and others) noted, the definition of capable is being stretched here. For $2M, his GAA and SV % should be a lot better than what Marty has put up. Are you really as comfortable with Marty between the pipes as you are Ryan?

Great. When? Maybe 6-8 weeks, barring setbacks?

You can't put the over/under number at zero. ;) (BTW, I think we'll all be yelling at the TV for at least one bad goal tonight. I hope I am wrong, but...)

So what is your take on him? That he doesn't give up as many "soft" goals as everyone thinks, or that we expect too much of a guy most people consider a no.1 somewhere else?

If Timmy makes it through the next week with no setbacks I'd be real surprised if we don't see him in March. It sounds as if he is finally getting put through NHL hockey level training. If he can go a week without that setting him back, I'd be surprised if anything short of a good shot to the melon sets him back. I won't get optimistic until this time next week.

Marty Biron is what he is. He's somewhere between the 20th and 40th best goalie in the league IMO. He can show signs of brilliance, but unless he is getting a pretty long stretch of games under his belt, will have the 1-2 mental letdowns per game that keep him from taking his play to the next level.

He got a lot of wins when he did get into the games early in the season, but he also was getting the most goal support of any goalie in the league.

He's a decent backup who's tended to have his contract expire at opportune times which is a big part of the reason he makes over $2MM/year. Lindy is comfortable with him going between the pipes every so often and he has a personality that prevents him from ever becoming a distraction to the team. Those 2 items are what will keep the Sabres from trading him (barring some truly catastrophic event(s)) even though there are other goalies that would come cheaper when filling Marty's limited playing role.

If Timmy makes it through the next week with no setbacks I'd be real surprised if we don't see him in March. It sounds as if he is finally getting put through NHL hockey level training. If he can go a week without that setting him back, I'd be surprised if anything short of a good shot to the melon sets him back. I won't get optimistic until this time next week.

Marty Biron is what he is. He's somewhere between the 20th and 40th best goalie in the league IMO. He can show signs of brilliance, but unless he is getting a pretty long stretch of games under his belt, will have the 1-2 mental letdowns per game that keep him from taking his play to the next level.

He got a lot of wins when he did get into the games early in the season, but he also was getting the most goal support of any goalie in the league.

He's a decent backup who's tended to have his contract expire at opportune times which is a big part of the reason he makes over $2MM/year. Lindy is comfortable with him going between the pipes every so often and he has a personality that prevents him from ever becoming a distraction to the team. Those 2 items are what will keep the Sabres from trading him (barring some truly catastrophic event(s)) even though there are other goalies that would come cheaper when filling Marty's limited playing role.

Wow. I think I agree with every word of this post, except that I can't help myself -- I'm already optimistic about Connolly and his impact on the stretch run. My view on this is probably warped b/c I've got 7-6, which was Timmy's last game, saved permanently on my Tivo. I will admit to watching parts of it whenever I need to cheer myself up. For those who've forgotten, Timmy played like a combination of Gretzky and Lemieux in that game.

As for Marty, I would just add that the only thing about him that bothers me is that there continues to be a sizeable percentage of fans and posters here who cling to the view that we could get something good for him in a trade, and criticize Darcy for failing to do so. This drives me insane. I repeat: zero career playoff wins. Mediocre GAA and save %. A history of soft goals at inopportune moments. A history of multiple blown opportunities to seize the #1 role. A fat salary. UFA at the end of the year. NOBODY is going to give us anything for him.

Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I don't hate Marty or wish him gone. But facts are facts. He wants to be a starter somewhere, yet hasn't proven himself capable. It's even arguable that he hasn't proven himself as a capable backup in the "new" NHL. He makes $2M per year, which isn't that much for starter, but is quite a lot for a backup. I also don't want to romanticize his salary as Marty simply being lucky that his contract ran out at the right time - he did hold out for more money at the start of the 99-2000 season, missing the team's first 18 games. I guess I see him sort of like I see Kalinin - we have been waiting forever for him to consistently play to his potential, yet he teases us with 32 great stops, and lets in one or two bad goals to cost his team the game.

You almost get the feeling like he is a mid-range NFL quarterback who still thinks he can start, but doesn't realize that his career path is heading down the backup route.

Dave, what 10 starting goalies would so he is better than? I don't see more than four or five, myself, but I don't see many more than that. I think he might be surprised when free agency starts, because I don't think he is going to be as sought after as he hopes.

As for Timmy, I want him back and completely healthy as much as the next Sabres fan. I just don't want to get my hopes up that he'll be back far enough before the playoffs to make a difference, and that he'll be the magic bullet that will cure all this team's ills, which I suspect some fans are thinking. Timmy isn't going to change this team's work ethic, nor does he add any toughness, and those have been the two biggest knocks on the team this year.

Are you really as comfortable with Marty between the pipes as you are Ryan?
nope. but he's capable. that's all i'm saying. i'd rather have him as a backup than 90% of the other backups in the league. conversely, would you say biron is not a capable backup goaltender?

So what is your take on him?
my take is: i am willing to bet that if given regular playing time, he would have better statistical numbers than he does now, the "soft goals" would evaporate, and his record would still be well above 0.500, as it is now. he keeps enough pucks out of the net to put up more wins than losses. that's great for me when miller's on the bench.