GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

1. You can have a fast paced game w/ no hitting. The YS game was a joke and an embarrassment. They don't have to get hurt, but I skate faster out there... If it is going to be that bad, don't televise it.

2. The camera work was effing terrible. What is the purpose of showing a net cam on the accuracy skill? The production people are complete morons.

3. Ryan was abused on that last shootout series. yuck.

4. No way Ovechkin skated a 15 second time...

Well, despite all the negativity, it was fun. Sure, there was no defense, some rink attendant timed the speed skating with Ruff's Breitling, and Miller looked surprisingly human on the shootout, but who cares! it was fun. I had an enjoyable 2 hours.

Nice. Am I dreaming, or didn't the league try having each team do their own skills competition

I know some teams did this this year, but didn't think it was to send people for this, just a kinda for fun-open practice thing. Not sure why the Sabres didn't do it one day around the holidays. Could have drawn a good crowd.

Nice. Am I dreaming, or didn't the league try having each team do their own skills competition, and the top 3 or 5 in each event were supposed to go to the All-Star game for the league-wide competition? I thought maybe early 90s they tried that...

They may have done that then. They have teams called "Columbus," "Phoenix," and even "Philadelphia," now, and maybe it's not worth it, you know?

Well, despite all the negativity, it was fun. Sure, there was no defense, some rink attendant timed the speed skating with Ruff's Breitling, and Miller looked surprisingly human on the shootout, but who cares! it was fun. I had an enjoyable 2 hours.

He picked the perfect time to look perfectly human. When it doesn't count!

They may have done that then. They have teams called "Columbus," "Phoenix," and even "Philadelphia," now, and maybe it's not worth it, you know?

:lol:

I would like to see the teams all do their own skills competition, so we can see how our guys match up, and as another poster mentioned, it might be a nice way to encourage turnout at a fan day/open practice around the holidays...and the team could use another chance to get people into the arena and sell some concessions and merchandise...

And I seem to remember, back in the early 90s, there was a couple years in a row when everyone wanted to see Mogilny and LaFontaine go head-to-head in the speed skating competition, but injuries prevented that from happening.

Some people would rather watch their president speak for 2 hours about the state of the Nation I guess

I watched most of the young stars game and had it on while grouting a tile floor, but I caught the final shootout with Miller. The annoucers said it and you could see, they all went blocker side to beat him.

As for all the people bashing the All-Star game, I'm sure you all want to see them giving 110% out there and playing like it was game 7 of the cup (until a Sabres gets hurt), but its just a fun game and break for these guys, and something different for the fans. The NHL thiks fans only want to see goals so they love this because its always high scoring. Its just something fun for the fans and players, don't take it so seriously

want to beat miller, go bloker side

Yep, and you can bet the word will make it to the street on that. Damn. Blocker side low.

:lol:

I would like to see the teams all do their own skills competition, so we can see how our guys match up, and as another poster mentioned, it might be a nice way to encourage turnout at a fan day/open practice around the holidays...and the team could use another chance to get people into the arena and sell some concessions and merchandise...

And I seem to remember, back in the early 90s, there was a couple years in a row when everyone wanted to see Mogilny and LaFontaine go head-to-head in the speed skating competition, but injuries prevented that from happening.

Right now, they don't need any extra help getting people to their open practices or game-day skates, especially during the holidays. It's a mob scene in there when the kids are not in school.

Come on now, Yannic Perreault would kill in the faceoff competition.

It's pretty embarassing for the league that Perreault was unsigned when the season started, and now he's an All-Star. I wonder why nobody wanted him?

Some people would rather watch their president speak for 2 hours about the state of the Nation I guess

I would rather watch a Carolina Hurricanes "Road to the Stanley Cup" highlight DVD than watch the President...

Right now, they don't need any extra help getting people to their open practices or game-day skates, especially during the holidays. It's a mob scene in there when the kids are not in school.

Maybe the Sabres don't need any help, but I was thinking of making it league-wide, giving each team an extra event in which to sell merch and concessions...I'm sure teams like Columbus, Nashville, Atlanta, Florida don't exactly have to turn them away at the door for their open practices....

For Buffalo, it might not make sense to bring in more people to the arena - after all, you'd have to actually have merchandise in stock to sell at an open practice... :thumbsup:

Skills competition. What a great production...

-An electronic clock that doesn't work for the fastest skater competition, so they have to use a stop watch.

-A camera angle from inside the net that was used repeatedly for the accuracy contest despite the fact that you couldn't see the targets from this angle.

-Score kept going up and down during the final shootout..1 point, no 3 points, no 1 point.

-Coming back from commercial only to find the next event already started.

Note to Bettman...this isn't the NBA(where you came from). Drop the skills competition/young stars game and stick with 1 night for the all-star game.

PS on the young stars game(and probably the allsar game tonight). It's okay if there is no hitting, but do you have to make a mockery of it by going half speed and just hang out at the other teams blue line. What a joke.