Kasparaitis

Allan in MD

Kasparaitis sounds like a disease. In fact, he is one.

It is rather incredible that the NHL has allowed this piece of garbage to ravage the league for years with his cheap shots and injury-inducing play.

How do you, hopefully, put a stop to it? The league should suspend him without pay for the period of time that Connolly is out. Perhaps, he will finally get the message. Unfortunately, what he will likely get, if anything, is a token slap on the wrist-type penalty from the league.

That hit looked alot like Tucker on Peca...dirty hit

I think it was Kalinin that gave a perfect example of a legal hip check later in that game...no lowering of the lower body,no knee involved...

I had to laugh at Grier a bit, threatning to drop the gloves...he's had a few challenges this year and turned every one down...thumbs up to Drury, but he should have grabed Darius by the collar and thrown him around a bit...

Allan, it's an interesting thought, but I don't see how you give a player a suspension for a legal play.

Now when he injures someone (again) with an illegal hit, I would love to see them throw the book at him.

Agreed. As much as I hate the guy, the hit did look legal. But Lindy made a good point in the press conference when he said that he "accidently" injures other players a lot. Because of this, I think the league should be keeping an extra close eye on him.

Of course, in reality, they probably won't do anything or than slap him on the wrist.

That hit looked alot like Tucker on Peca...dirty hit

I think it was Kalinin that gave a perfect example of a legal hip check later in that game...no lowering of the lower body,no knee involved...

I had to laugh at Grier a bit, threatning to drop the gloves...he's had a few challenges this year and turned every one down...thumbs up to Drury, but he should have grabed Darius by the collar and thrown him around a bit...

You wouldn't happen to have a clip would you? I saw it live (from the other end of the rink) and on the jumbotron (not the best picture quality. It looked clean to me, but I have heard a few people say it was low now, so I wouldn't mind getting a better look at it.

You wouldn't happen to have a clip would you?  I saw it live (from the other end of the rink) and on the jumbotron (not the best picture quality.  It looked clean to me, but I have heard a few people say it was low now, so I wouldn't mind getting a better look at it.

I don't have a copy of the hit, but have a comment on the hit being "low". It looked to me like Timmy jumped a little to try to avoid the hit and I think that is why Kasparaitis was able to get his knee.

I don't have a copy of the hit, but have a comment on the hit being "low". It looked to me like Timmy jumped a little to try to avoid the hit and I think that is why Kasparaitis was able to get his knee.

Not that I would ever defend that a-hole but I think DK's hipchecks are so damaging because he is only 5'10" anyway. When he crouches down he's already at everyone's knees. Just a weird angle to look from I guess, IMHO.

I agree -- Timmy did jump a little. It looked clean to me and not unlike McKee's periodic hits. Maybe b/c McKee is a bigger guy he ends up hitting his target higher up than Kasparitis did?

In any case, what's done is done. Does anyone know when we can expect to hear the results of the MRI? All I've seen anywhere is the 6-8 week "diagnosis" issued by Dr. Lindy Ruff, whom I like a lot but would like some medical corroboration.

Go Sabres.

Allan, it's an interesting thought, but I don't see how you give a player a suspension for a legal play.

Now when he injures someone (again) with an illegal hit, I would love to see them throw the book at him.

I did not see the play and was speaking based on Lindy's comments. Apparently, it was a legal hit.

You would control illegal hits or other actions that cause injuries if, at the minimum, you suspended players without pay for the duration of the inactivity of the injured player. Of course, some discretion has to be involved, otherwise Bertuzzi would never play again, like it or not.

It's always so weird how a player who should be suspended for something,

isn't and always comes back to either score the winning goal or be some

other thorn in the side.

Lindy should take a page out of Michel Bergeron's book and send Peters

out to maim, mangle and destroy Kasper next time they come to our barn.

It was a legal hit... maybe borderline because DK crouched a little and connolly jumped up, but it was legal. That's not to say that DK's a marked man the next time the rangers play the sabres though. If campbell won't susped the flames coach the mandatory game for an instigator penalty when his goalie got an instigator penalty (is campbell honestly trying to force the NHL down to bush league status or what??) then he won't do jack to DK for a legal if borderline hit against his hated nemesis the sabres.

It was a legal hit... maybe borderline because DK crouched a little and connolly jumped up, but it was legal. That's not to say that DK's a marked man the next time the rangers play the sabres though. If campbell won't susped the flames coach the mandatory game for an instigator penalty when his goalie got an instigator penalty (is campbell honestly trying to force the NHL down to bush league status or what??) then he won't do jack to DK for a legal if borderline hit against his hated nemesis the sabres.

Goalie fights should be encouraged at all time. I applaud the NHL for overturning the suspension to Sauve. B-)

OK, after hearing the Sabres unanimously come down on Kasparitis, I looked at the replay a bunch of times tonight on Tivo. I've changed my mind. I think it was a dirty hit and Kasparitis was going for his legs. Not necessarily his knees, but definitely for the mid-thigh-to-knee range.

Yes, Timmy jumped a bit, but only because he was going really fast, had just deked past another Ranger and he saw Kasparitis heading for his legs. I think it was just an instinctive move to try to protect his legs -- ie get them off the ice b/c if he kept his feet on the ice Kasparatis would have destroyed his knees. It was self-preservation, not an attempt to continue the rush.

If anyone has the game on Tivo, I'd be interested in whether you agree. It happenned with about 1 minute left in the 2nd period. They show 4 or 5 different replay angles, and it seemed clear to me on a couple of them, esp. in slow motion, that Kasparitis was going for his legs.

Here's hoping he gets a mouthful of Peters' fists next time around.

On the bright side, it doesn't look like a torn ligament, just a sprain, and with rest we will hopefully get TC back for the last 15 games or so plus playoffs. So he misses about 15 games -- could have been much worse.

Go Sabres.

I agree that it was a legal hit, but ...

- A quote from the Dirty Harry series, "Harry, people have a habit of becoming dead around you." Well, with Kasparitis, people have a habit of becoming injured around him. Concerning Darius, players should pay closer attention to him when he is on the ice, but perhaps the league needs to send him a message that his attitude and style of play will no longer be tolerated.

his a stupid pathetic player with no respect. he should be suspended without pay for the rest of the season if he does this again.

it was a clean hit he just has no respect for anyone in the leauge... he makes his money for being the pest that he is... and he'll continue to do it as long as they keep paying him for it... its unfortunate that behaviour like that is rewarded in this society and this leauge... such is life though i suppose.

it was a clean hit he just has no respect for anyone in the leauge... he makes his money for being the pest that he is... and he'll continue to do it as long as they keep paying him for it... its unfortunate that behaviour like that is rewarded in this society and this leauge... such is life though i suppose.

I don't know if it was a clean hit, but I guess it falls within the rules.

I think it is breaking one of those unwritten rules that are amongst players. In a lot of ways, I think this situation was comparable to the football hit a couple years ago by Warren Sapp on the lineman of the Packers. It was a legal hit/block, but it justunnecessary and dirty and the only intent was to injure. (I am not saying the hits were the same at all, just that it is a similar scenario and that it imo not called for)

I don't know if it was a clean hit, but I guess it falls within the rules.

I think it is breaking one of those unwritten rules that are amongst players. In a lot of ways, I think this situation was comparable to the football hit a couple years ago by Warren Sapp on the lineman of the Packers. It was a legal hit/block, but it justunnecessary and dirty and the only intent was to injure. (I am not saying the hits were the same at all, just that it is a similar scenario and that it imo not called for)

I think that's the main issue here. A clean hit and a legal hit are not the same thing. That Sapp situation is what immediately came to mind for me and is the perfect example. This hit is nowhere near that level, but the more I read, the more I think that Kasparitis was intent on hurting Connolly.

Hockey players trying to hurt each other!? Nooooooo. What is the world coming to. Good thing the Sabres never do that! People need to stop whining. If I didn't think the only reason Ruff is talking about it is to get his team fired up, I would tell him the same thing. Next time, Timmah, don't jump up like you're doing a freakin' triple sow cow.

Next time, Timmah, don't jump up like you're doing a freakin' triple sow cow.

PA Fan -- watch it again a few times if you can. I did so last night and am certain that it wasn't Timmy's jump that caused the injury (FWIW, I initially thought the hit was clean and that the jump was responsible -- until I watched it again last night). He jumped b/c DK was headed straight for his legs, and if his feet had remained on the ice when DK hit him there would've been a Willis McGahee-type blowout. The jump probably reduced the injury from a tear to a sprain.

Do players try to hurt each other? Yes, in the sense that they try to hit hard, and they know that a really hard hit can knock someone down or out. Do they intentionally target each other's legs? I think usually not. This is against the unwritten rules (in every sport), and rightly so. Shots to the legs can result in blown-out knees, which can result in shortened careers.

As far as Lindy using this as motivation -- you are probably right. I hope it doesn't backfire into the team using it as an excuse. I don't think this will happen though b/c I think this is a very resilient group with a lot of heart.

Toronto and Atlanta are both in slumps, so hopefully we pull together and grab a couple more Ws.

Go Sabres.

Archived