98-99 vs. 05-06

PASabreFan

Record through Dec. 26, 1998: 19-6-5 (T)

Record through Dec. 30, 2005: 26-11-2 (OTL)

Record from Dec. 28, 1998 to February 7, 1999: 5-12-3

Record from Jan. 1, 2006 to January 21, 2006: 3-4-1

Record after February 7, 1999 through finals: 27-17-9

Record after January 21, 2006: ?????

Record through Dec. 26, 1998: 19-6-5 (T)

Record through Dec. 30, 2005: 26-11-2 (OTL)

Record from Dec. 28, 1998 to February 7, 1999: 5-12-3

Record from Jan. 1, 2006 to January 21, 2006: 3-4-1

Record after February 7, 1999 through finals: 27-17-9

Record after January 21, 2006: ?????

PA, I would put the Boston game on March 13th as the beginning of the turnaround. The Sabres were only 5-4-5-1 from February 7 until that game and went 8-4-4-1 down the stretch. (EDIT: Note, no points awarded for OTL that season, not sure why I showed the results w/ the OTL's separated. "Regulation Ties" were added to the score sheet in '99-'00.)

It also was the 1st game after Barnaby was converted into Barnes (no, Barnaby wasn't a cancer in the dressing room or anything) and was 2 games prior to Dom's return from a groin injury (that would reflare up in the Boston series).

As always, great point, Dave. (Well, almost always. :))

Yep, trading Stupid and getting Stu was amazing. And the moves at the deadline -- especially the acquisition of Warrener. Mike Wilson for Rhett Warrener and a pick that turned into Ryan Miller. Gold. Does Darcy have any of that magic left?

I just looked at the schedule. Finishing January and going through February will be riddled with challenges: Rangers, Leafs, Thrashers, Flyers, Sens, Canadiensx2, Panthers, Hurricanes.

March will be an ordeal based on game density alone- 17 games in 30 days.

Not exactly in order, Thrashers x2, Leafs x2, Bruins x5, Lightning, Flyers, Caps, Sens x2, Hurricanes, Rangers, Devils.

April's not too much better with 9 games in 18 days, mostly in the NE and Atl divisions:

Leafs x3, Sens x2, Flyers, Canadiens x2, Hurricanes.

There aren't many pushover teams in those lists, so as Drury mentioned in his article after being outworked by the Flames, they may not be ready for what is going to come at them.

I have faith.

I just looked at the schedule. Finishing January and going through February will be riddled with challenges: Rangers, Leafs, Thrashers, Flyers, Sens, Canadiensx2, Panthers, Hurricanes.

March will be an ordeal based on game density alone- 17 games in 30 days.

Not exactly in order, Thrashers x2, Leafs x2, Bruins x5, Lightning, Flyers, Caps, Sens x2, Hurricanes, Rangers, Devils.

April's not too much better with 9 games in 18 days, mostly in the NE and Atl divisions:

Leafs x3, Sens x2, Flyers, Canadiens x2, Hurricanes.

There aren't many pushover teams in those lists, so as Drury mentioned in his article after being outworked by the Flames, they may not be ready for what is going to come at them.

I have faith.

One thing to keep in mind with that schedule, is that pretty much every team is just as busy. Our youth might pay off during that stretch.

Archived