Swedesessed

5 games vs Ottawa

6 games vs Toronto

3 games vs Atlanta

3 games vs Carolina

3 games vs Philadelphia

Two things:

I sure am glad the Sabres got on this ball of fire over the last two months

Sabres better start playing better even strength, they CANNOT keep relying on PP chances as the games tighten up, especially against these teams left on the schedule who have high powered offenses.

5 games vs Ottawa

6 games vs Toronto

3 games vs Atlanta

3 games vs Carolina

3 games vs Philadelphia

Two things:

I sure am glad the Sabres got on this ball of fire over the last two months

Sabres better start playing better even strength, they CANNOT keep relying on PP chances as the games tighten up, especially against these teams left on the schedule who have high powered offenses.

Ottawa will be trouble, until the Sabres play more than a single period competitively vs. Ottawa you have to assume that they won't. Hopefully, it will be on the 4th that they step up, but until they do step up, chalk that up as 4L's and a fluke W.

I haven't liked the way the Sabres have played against TO this season. They've let TO take the play to them far too often. If not for Bats-in-his-belfour having a meltdown in the 1st game, the Sabres could easily have 2 L's instead of 1W and an OTL. I'm not sure why the Leafs have outplayed the Sabres, but figure the Sabres will likely go 2-4 or 3-3 in these games. On paper they should win about 5 out of the 6, but as in the Ottawa comments - until the Sabres step up their play against TO I can't expect them to.

I like the way the Sabres match up against Atlanta. They shouldn't end up in the box too much, which is where Atlanta scores a lot of their goals and while Atlanta definitely has more firepower than the Sabres, their goaltending and d are not as good as Buffalo's. The combination of disciplined play by Buffalo, and Buffalo's pp vs Atlanta's pathetic penalty kill SHOULD give Buffalo the edge. I would not be surprised to see Buffalo sweep the series or go 2-0-1 the rest of the way.

I am really looking forward to Buffalo's next game against Carolina (last game prior to Olympic break) because I believe Buffalo matches up well against them and want to see if they can actually score on Gerber when the outcome of the game is in doubt. IF they find a way to solve Gerber, they should be able to take at least 2 out of 3; if not, hello only potential sweep (other than Otters).

I doubt the Sabres will sweep the Flyers, but expect them to take 2 of the 3 as Philly's goaltending has been very suspect this season and they have been as injury-prone as the Sabres have been. Their D could be suspect by then as well, as Pitkinin returned from his sports hernia today, but could only play into the 2nd period and Hatcher could be tiring as the season continues.

2 other thoughts:

1. You are correct that the run the team has been on was huge for setting them into good position heading down the stretch. (I've never understood the opinion that February / March wins are more important than early season wins. You need ~45W's and a handful of OTL's to make the playoffs, doesn't matter when they come, just that they come.)

2. I know a lot of people don't think the Sabres play well at even strength, but I don't fully buy that. If my math is right, they have been outscored 88-83 even strength; which I will admit is not exactly winning hockey. BUT they've generated 277 pp opportunities vs only 246 sh opportunities; their hard work and outskating the opponents is a large part of creating the pp opportunities that they have been so effective in converting. Their ability to GET powerplays is a positive reflection on the even strength play.

Archived