GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

One other thing...Did the referees forget that they are supposed to be calling all infractions? The game reminded of how things were pre-lockout. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Remember this post everyone! Mark it down! :D :D

This whole season reminds me more of the pre-lockout rules...

My theory is that they will call it tighter in the playoffs! Which will be good for the Sabres!

By doing this, you don't create 6 months of controversy prior to the start of the playoffs...

Seems it is the way the NHL works... They come up with rules, enforce them in tight ways... The after the outrage, relax them... Only to tweek them some more...

Just my .02 cents!

I really hope that the team was trying to exploit a weak spot of Thomas' in the shootout. Seems that way since all 3 took almost the exact same shot. If not, than it was a pretty disappointing effort by all 3 in the shootout.

For those of us who had NESN, is it me or did they try to make Thomas' saves in the shootout sound a lot more spectacular than they really were.

I really hope that the team was trying to exploit a weak spot of Thomas' in the shootout. Seems that way since all 3 took almost the exact same shot. If not, than it was a pretty disappointing effort by all 3 in the shootout.

For those of us who had NESN, is it me or did they try to make Thomas' saves in the shootout sound a lot more spectacular than they really were.

Don't get me wrong... I see where you are coming from... IMO, shootouts are more about "trends" and exploiting a goalie... Going three the same way doesn't bother me and wasn't disappointing if it wasn't a weak spot... See where I am coming from?

Say it goes to a SO on Wed? What to you think Thomas will think?... BFLO would be foolish not to mix in the same shot again somewhere... I know a lot will disagree.

Look at TV's blast against Huet in that shootout... WHo would have thunk? :doh:

I think SO's at this level are all about being as random as you can... But, that is just my belief... Adn that is what makes BFLO so good in them... Sure it didn't work today... But, that is life...

It is all part of the plan!

Don't get me wrong... I see where you are coming from... IMO, shootouts are more about "trends" and exploiting a goalie... Going three the same way doesn't bother me and wasn't disappointing if it wasn't a weak spot... See where I am coming from?

Say it goes to a SO on Wed? What to you think Thomas will think?... BFLO would be foolish not to mix in the same shot again somewhere... I know a lot will disagree.

Look at TV's blast against Huet in that shootout... WHo would have thunk? :doh:

I think SO's at this level are all about being as random as you can... But, that is just my belief... Adn that is what makes BFLO so good in them... Sure it didn't work today... But, that is life...

It is all part of the plan!

I have to agree with hopelesly - I think NESN was hyping Thomas' saves, which weren't that tough; and I think the Sabres put in a piss-poor effort on the SO.

And Exiled, I really don't think I know what you're talking about. I think that the SO is all about exploiting mismatches, exposing & attacking weaknesses, and being creative and unpredictable, so I have a big problem with all three of them going in with at the same slow speed, with the same weak, unoriginal dekes and same poor results.

Going three the same way is fine if you score on one or two of them. Going the same way all three times and all three having crappy results is a waste of time and effort, regardless of whether going the same way in a future shootout gets them a goal (the idea of them trying to set up future SO goals with three crappy efforts is one I can't even fathom.) For those results we could have sent Peters, Mair & Spacek out there...

I have to agree with hopelesly - I think NESN was hyping Thomas' saves, which weren't that tough; and I think the Sabres put in a piss-poor effort on the SO.

And Exiled, I really don't think I know what you're talking about. I think that the SO is all about exploiting mismatches, exposing & attacking weaknesses, and being creative and unpredictable, so I have a big problem with all three of them going in with at the same slow speed, with the same weak, unoriginal dekes and same poor results.

Going three the same way is fine if you score on one or two of them. Going the same way all three times and all three having crappy results is a waste of time and effort, regardless of whether going the same way in a future shootout gets them a goal (the idea of them trying to set up future SO goals with three crappy efforts is one I can't even fathom.) For those results we could have sent Peters, Mair & Spacek out there...

I think the unpredictable part at this level is the most important... And more of being "on"... Obviously, they were off... I like the tactic of going all three times the same way... The execution just didn't work out that way... Gives the illusion of a weak effort... Not seeing it, I can't judge... Even if I did, I would feel the same way...

Disagree if you will... IMO, I think this team relies on "smoke and mirrors" more than anybody wants to accept... And I think that is a good thing with all the talent they have...

Exiled, I would say wait until you see the effort on all three SO attempts - you'll probably change your mind. They didn't really test Thomas at all - he didn't really have to move to make any of the saves.

On a side note, my three Sabres stars for the game:

1. Miller

2. Miller Roy - 1 G, 1 A; was flying all over the ice for most of the 2nd & 3rd, and kept challenging Chara...

3. Miller Paille - jumped up and looked like he had been with the team all year; 1 A, took regular shifts and never looked out of place

After the countless big saves he made, I wanted to give all three stars to Ryan, because he really stole a point for the Sabres today.

Looking forward to Wednesday night...

Exiled, I would say wait until you see the effort on all three SO attempts - you'll probably change your mind. They didn't really test Thomas at all - he didn't really have to move to make any of the saves.

On a side note, my three Sabres stars for the game:

1. Miller

2. Miller Roy - 1 G, 1 A; was flying all over the ice for most of the 2nd & 3rd, and kept challenging Chara...

3. Miller Paille - jumped up and looked like he had been with the team all year; 1 A, took regular shifts and never looked out of place

After the countless big saves he made, I wanted to give all three stars to Ryan, because he really stole a point for the Sabres today.

Looking forward to Wednesday night...

I honestly thought giving Savard 1st star was an insult to both goaltenders.

No argument here, hoplesly. Not speaking as a Sabres homer, but I really thought Miller should have gotten consideration as the no. 1 star, even with the loss - but I would have been OK with him no. 2 and THomas no. 1.

Savard? 1 G in the 1st period, -1, that's a no. 1 star game? :blink:

One other thing...Did the referees forget that they are supposed to be calling all infractions? The game reminded of how things were pre-lockout. :wallbash: :wallbash:

It absolutely seemed that way. My roommate and I also counted several occasions where linesmen missed pretty obvious offsides calls.

No argument here, hoplesly. Not speaking as a Sabres homer, but I really thought Miller should have gotten consideration as the no. 1 star, even with the loss - but I would have been OK with him no. 2 and THomas no. 1.

Exactly...

And the goal (Savard) came on the power play... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IMHO, 1st star was a toss up between Miller and Thomas. Miller let one in in the shootout, but Thomas wasn't really tested in the shootout. Miller's spectacular save was better than Thomas' spectacular save.

Another observation about NESN...Anyone else sick of hearing about the Savard snub? He has slightly better numbers than Briere, not significant enough to get bent out of shape about.

i mentioned in another thread that i was undecided about going to this game. i got a call at noon from my friend who scoffed up some fourth row tickets on the cheap ($45/ea.!!). got there right when savard scored, but was able to catch everything else up close...including those three lame SO attempts. with each shot, i kept wondering what the hell they were doing. seemed weak at the time, but if they had a plan like everyone is speculating, then i guess that's a different story.

seeing miller's save from about 50' was a moment i'll never forget. everyone in the arena was going bananas. i think i heard RJ from 7-8 stories above me. ;)

paille seemed to be the hardest working sabre on the ice. drury was a close second. it might not show up on the score sheet, but i thought they were both putting some great effort in. afinogenov on the other hand, seemed to whine every single time someone touched him. granted, i think he took a stick to the face at one point, but even before that, he kept looking at the refs each time there was contact with another player. it's hockey, you know...play though it instead of wasting time looking for sympathy. he sure is fast, though...sheesh. briere, too. man those guys can fly.

a fun afternoon, anyhow. a good opportunity to wear my new lafontaine jersey (vintage, white) outside of my apartment. the "let's go buffalo" got going at least twice that i can remember. the bruins fans booed that, but were otherwise pretty relaxed...it was family day, afterall. jesus, i love hockey.