Goalie Cam on NBC Coverage of NHL

Taro T

Anybody else like the "goalie cam"? I'm usually not a big fan of new gimicks in the broadcasts, but I thought NBC did a real good job with it in the Flyers-Pens game.

It was especially good on Philly's second goal. During the replay, just after Davidson said Fleury was thinking pass you could see Fleury look to his left (to Knuble in front of the net) for a split second, right before Carter ripped the shot short side past Fleury.

I hope in the next season or 2, local broadcasters start using the goalie cam, assuming they use it the way NBC did - giving an occasional view from the goalie right at the faceoff and then again for replays. (Heck, I might even not hate shootouts if they showed them from the goalie's perspective.) I could definitely see a team that has a poor broadcast already (Tampa springs to mind immediately for some reason) make it even worse by overusing the camera shot.

Still using that horrific shift tracker crap made for infants?

Yep. My favorite part of that ridiculous thing was with about 3 or 4 minutes left in the game they were tracking Gagne's ice time and he wasn't on the ice. Oops.

I definitely would not mind seeing them lose that "enhancement".

Archived