Lindy getting some respect.

deluca67

Blech. How 'bout we get a coach in here who can take this talented young team over the top down the road? Someone with an offensive mind, perhaps. We seem to be on our way to a repeat of the Dominik Hasek Era. Miller will stand on his head every night, and we'll keep scoring a goal or two (OK, in this more offensive era, two or three) and wonder why we're THIS close to being a contender.

Blech. How 'bout we get a coach in here who can take this talented young team over the top down the road? Someone with an offensive mind, perhaps. We seem to be on our way to a repeat of the Dominik Hasek Era. Miller will stand on his head every night, and we'll keep scoring a goal or two (OK, in this more offensive era, two or three) and wonder why we're THIS close to being a contender.

Youre kidding right?

This team is much more talented offensively than the teams of the Hasek era. The best part is, the guys are young! This team is only going to get better in the years to come. The fact that they keep winning without Briere and Dumont is a testament to Ruff and Regier together.

The team isn't dependent upon Miller; Biron has more of the team's wins. (Doesn't make Biron better, just pointing out that the team can win even if Miller isn't standing on his head and even if he isn't dressed for the game.)

The team doesn't seem to be dependent upon its stars; arguably, the team's top two forwards have been & will be out long-term, and the Sabres have missed Kalinin and McKee for a few games.

Yet the team wins--and wins often--with terrific chemistry and sound fundamentals.

He's got this young, broken team on the verge of a home-ice advantage in the playoffs, in a near-certain playoff position, and five points off of the conference lead in a division where the leading team looks like an Eastern Conference all-star lineup.

There is no way any coach could get more out of this team than Ruff has. Short of putting on a sweater and taking some ice time, exactly what else could Ruff be doing?

Ruff is leading the NHL.com poll for coach of the year.

How about everyone tossing him a vote when you get a chance?

If you want him to stay in Buffalo or in the coaching ranks period, don't vote for him, remember what happened to the last Sabre coach that won coach of the year.

I'm not kidding at all. The key to my question, though, was the phrase "over the top down the road." I'm fine with Ruff's coaching this season. But all the man has proven in his career is that with dominant goaltending, he can get a team close to a Cup and with very good goaltending, he can get a team into the playoffs, but with average or subpar goaltending, he can't get a sniff of the postseason. Look at our even-strength scoring. It will be our downfall at some point. You can't rely on your power play to win games, which we've learned of late. All I'm asking -- and I expected to take some heat for it -- is whether in an organization whose stated objective is to win the Stanley Cup in the short term, Lindy Ruff is the guy to take you there, given his team's perennial offensive shortcomings. Naturally I hope he is the guy. I hope in the "new NHL" Ruff is coach of the decade. Just as I hope when the dust settles that I was wrong about Darcy Regier's "plan."

I'm not kidding at all. The key to my question, though, was the phrase "over the top down the road." I'm fine with Ruff's coaching this season. But all the man has proven in his career is that with dominant goaltending, he can get a team close to a Cup and with very good goaltending, he can get a team into the playoffs, but with average or subpar goaltending, he can't get a sniff of the postseason. Look at our even-strength scoring. It will be our downfall at some point. You can't rely on your power play to win games, which we've learned of late. All I'm asking -- and I expected to take some heat for it -- is whether in an organization whose stated objective is to win the Stanley Cup in the short term, Lindy Ruff is the guy to take you there, given his team's perennial offensive shortcomings. Naturally I hope he is the guy. I hope in the "new NHL" Ruff is coach of the decade. Just as I hope when the dust settles that I was wrong about Darcy Regier's "plan."

I think you meant to post this message 3 years ago.. what took you so long to post it?

I think the same can be said for any coach. If they don't have good goaltending or timely scoring, theyre not making the playoffs.

Put Joe Torre as manager of the Pirates and he aint sniffing the playoffs either.

Ruff is a good coach and he's done some respectable things in recent years with subpar goaltending and average scoring. This year, the team is better, and looking at the standings, we're in the thick of it.

Coaches don't win Stanley Cups Franchises do.

Lindy Ruff is but one solid piece of a much larger puzzle. Every person in the franchise has a role to do. If anyone fails then the franchise fails. Torts didn't coach Tampa to a cup and Habi didn't win it by himself.

Lindy is doing a solid job. A quick way to tell is seeing how many younger players are stepping in and doing well. Lindy has done a great job of defining roles and making sure the players play within themselves.

Coaches don't win Stanley Cups Franchises do.

Is that you Crumbs?

Crumbs=Jerry Krause - former GM of the Bulls during MJ's run notorious for stating that individuals don't win championships franchises do, of note due to the fact he was supposed to be reflecting on MJ's 5th championship but instead chose to deflect "praise" his way.

DeLuca, again, you're preaching to the choir. I said I like the job Lindy has done. The question is whether he's the guy who's going to lead you to a Cup. What do you say?

Back to Lindy Ruff's ability to get the most out of talented offensive players. Thomas Vanek was going to make a run at the Calder Trophy, everyone said. And Lindy said he was the most gifted player he ever coached and would score a ton of goals this season. Anyone remember what the coach's prediction was? I want to say 35 -- not sure about that. Vanek has 12 goals past the halfway mark of the season.

I don't know, I guess I'm just getting worried that we're reverting to past form. The Sabres are ninth in the NHL in goals per game, but in January, taking out the bonanza against LA, they have 11 goals in six games. They're giving up two goals per game this month but are below .500. As the games get tighter and the league perhaps slips a bit in its enforcement of the rules, it could become an even bigger worry.

DeLuca, again, you're preaching to the choir. I said I like the job Lindy has done. The question is whether he's the guy who's going to lead you to a Cup. What do you say?

Back to Lindy Ruff's ability to get the most out of talented offensive players. Thomas Vanek was going to make a run at the Calder Trophy, everyone said. And Lindy said he was the most gifted player he ever coached and would score a ton of goals this season. Anyone remember what the coach's prediction was? I want to say 35 -- not sure about that. Vanek has 12 goals past the halfway mark of the season.

I don't know, I guess I'm just getting worried that we're reverting to past form. The Sabres are ninth in the NHL in goals per game, but in January, taking out the bonanza against LA, they have 11 goals in six games. They're giving up two goals per game this month but are below .500. As the games get tighter and the league perhaps slips a bit in its enforcement of the rules, it could become an even bigger worry.

Lindy has been to the finals. I know Hasek gets the lion's share of the credit but it was Lindy that got the team up for game #1 against the Leafs.

I know Vanek only has 12 goals. Allot of that has to fall on Vanek. Lindy can only put Vanek in positions to score. Vanek needs to bury them and he hasn't. I was posting back in September that Vanek needed a mentor and I was drilled for it. Vanek needs a older vet who can work with him.

The Sabres being 9th shouldn't be a concern. They are missing their two best offensive players in Briere and Dumont. If they were healthy and stayed at the same scoring pace they were at the Sabres would have 170 goals which would put them third. Considering Dumont was of to a horrible start it's not to far fetched.

i just voted for Ruff on NHL.com and it says P. Laviolette (CAR) has 23% to Ruff's 19.9%. Caroline is also playing well this year and Laviolette is pretty deserving as well.

I just voted as well, no change in percent. We all should vote. If you haven't go do it dam it. :angry: :P :)

Lindy has been to the finals. I know Hasek gets the lion's share of the credit but it was Lindy that got the team up for game #1 against the Leafs.

I know Vanek only has 12 goals. Allot of that has to fall on Vanek. Lindy can only put Vanek in positions to score. Vanek needs to bury them and he hasn't. I was posting back in September that Vanek needed a mentor and I was drilled for it. Vanek needs a older vet who can work with him.

The Sabres being 9th shouldn't be a concern. They are missing their two best offensive players in Briere and Dumont. If they were healthy and stayed at the same scoring pace they were at the Sabres would have 170 goals which would put them third. Considering Dumont was of to a horrible start it's not to far fetched.

I want whatever mood changing drugs you've started smoking in the past few weeks.

I want whatever mood changing drugs you've started smoking in the past few weeks.

No drugs man.

The teams winning. It's all I ever wanted.

I post what I think and how I feel. The Sabres have been a huge surprise for me. I'm not going to waste it. I was wrong about some things early on and the Sabres seem to be ready to prove it. I like to consider myself man enough to admit when I wrong. Plus players like Drury who didn't start off well have really turned their game around. Gaustad, Pominville, Paille and Miller have given me a sense of hope for the future.

I don't know Regier on a personal level. If he is getting results I can't come out here and drill him for it. There #4 in the conference while sufffering through some tuff injuries. I would be a fool to not recognize it and appreciate the effort.

I never hated for hates sake. Some may have thought so but I don't.

;)

PA, to answer your question, I do believe that Ruff can win the cup in the National Hockey League as coach of YOUR Buffalo Sabres.

You brought up Vanek earlier. There have been times when I don't notice him at all. I'm hoping he's having an Eric Staal type rookie season (he's actually besting him at this juncture) and explodes later this season into next. He's obviously got "it" whatever "it" is. The game is faster up here than it was in Rochester. Let him find his way.

PA, you seem to think that Lindy is not the man to get the job done for the Sabres. Do you have someone particular in mind to replace him, or do you just want to see somebody else as the head coach "down the road"?

Dave, I don't have anyone in mind. It's basically a hypothetical question, and a near-moot one at that. It's clear Ruff, and Regier, aren't going anywhere any time soon. But what if Ryan Miller continues to develop into a dominant goaltender over the next couple of seasons, and this team full of offensive potential can't provide the support to have a lot of success in the playoffs? Would you support a coaching change, someone who is more offensive minded? Again, I like the job Ruff is doing and hope that scenario doesn't play out. I'm probably just obsessing about the recent lack of scoring, but then again there is a long and significant history of it under Ruff.

Dave, I don't have anyone in mind. It's basically a hypothetical question, and a near-moot one at that. It's clear Ruff, and Regier, aren't going anywhere any time soon. But what if Ryan Miller continues to develop into a dominant goaltender over the next couple of seasons, and this team full of offensive potential can't provide the support to have a lot of success in the playoffs? Would you support a coaching change, someone who is more offensive minded? Again, I like the job Ruff is doing and hope that scenario doesn't play out. I'm probably just obsessing about the recent lack of scoring, but then again there is a long and significant history of it under Ruff.

I would probably look at personnel modifications / upgrades initially if your hypothetical comes to fruition. If the situation (in the hypothetical) can't be remedied within a season or 2 via player change, then I would strongly consider replacing Lindy.

I would expect at some point in time (most likely timeframe 3-5 years hence) for the team to reach a point where the players tune Lindy out and a replacement would become necessary (regardless of success or lack thereof in the interim). It seems that in the "modern" (read post-Ziegler) NHL that even the best coaches reach a point where they lose their team and it is in the best interest of all involved parties to make a clean break. Had the lockout not occured, the Sabres might have been at that point currently. When the Sabres inevitably reach that crossroad, I hope that management (very likely Darcy at that point) has put considerable thought into who should replace Lindy at that time, as the right coach may not necessarily take the team up the mountain but the wrong one definitely can bring them down it.

I think the "lost" season has added a shot of adrenalin to the Sabres and the league and has given Lindy essentially a clean slate with the team. They are 11th in goal scoring (but could easily be in any slot from 9th - 14th) and are in 8th in goals allowed. As you mentioned that the question is essentially moot for now, I am currently happy with the effort and results the team and Lindy have put forth to date.

so just because we are having trouble scoring in the last few games (without breire and dumont i add) its all ruff's fault? you are joking?

We need to score more, sure, but we are missing two of our top scorers, coupled with a couple of people totally missing from the scoresheets should explain that problem

Archived