Are we lacking size?

Tarrytown

The game last night, as well as some of our recent more physical games got me thinking about the playoffs...are we too small to last the grind of the playoffs? Yes we have a fast team...and of course all teams are looking for players that are fast and big...but could it be that this is the real weakness of this team.

Time after time last night our guys got crushed along the boards...makes me think that if a trade is every made by Darcy that he's looking for size...on D of course...but someone to throw is weight around in the corners too?

Anyone have thoughts on who we might realistically be looking at?

are we too small to last the grind of the playoffs? Yes we have a fast team...and of course all teams are looking for players that are fast and big...but could it be that this is the real weakness of this team.

I think our forwards are fine, considering we can roll all 4 lines when healthy...that always helps when you want to make a long run in the spring...it's our d that need a big, experienced defenseman...

I'm sure that Darcy is preparing to go bargain hunting again on trade deadline day...i wouldn't be surprised if he went and picked up a d-man, plus another forward with some decent playoff history...in exchange, he'll probably give up Noranen, a prospect like Novotny, and a 6th rounder...

Just a guess...

Will that be enough to beat Ottawa or Philly?...i don't think so...baby steps i guess

;)

When you say, "Are we lacking size?", my mind wanders to a different place than what was intended.  Although I have never stood wanker to wanker with another man, I guess I'm doing alright in that department.

Sure you haven't :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway.

The Sabres lost the other night because they didn't finish their scoring chances. They had 21 (reported by WGR) shots miss the net or get blocked.

They will be fine. No team cashes in on all of their chances and some nights you score ten and some nights you hit ten posts.

The only size that matters is 5 and 10. They are 5 points behind the Sens and are 10 points ahead of 9th place.

5x10 huh? You should be in the film industry.

I thought the Nucks (just wanted to say Nucks) came out really hungry and probably wanted to stick up for their boy Auld. All the goalie trade rumors might have fired them up and we took the brunt of that. So be it. You aren't going to win them all, especially over a long road trip. Lets jump on the flames.

You aren't going to win them all, especially over a long road trip. Lets jump on the flames.

You are absolutely right, although I thought the Canucks game was there for the taking and we got outworked in the 3rd period. Our next 4: at Calgary, at NY Rangers, at Toronto, at Atlanta. That is a pretty tough stretch. It would have been nice to have had a W against Vancouver in the bank.

As to the question of do we need more size: I think for the playoffs we will need a bit more size up front, esp. if Mair is out for the season. Do we need to get this via a trade? I'm not sure. Gaustad is back. Dumont, who is coming back, is bigger than Pominville and much bigger than Roy. A lot depends on whether Pyatt plays well enough to force his way into the rotation.

If we are fortunate enough to get Briere back 100% for the playoffs, here's how I see our forwards lining up:

Connolly - Kotalik - Briere

Drury - Hecht - Grier

Roy - Max - Vanek

Gaustad - Pyatt/Pominville - Dumont

Extra: Pominville/Pyatt and Peters

This assumes that Mair is out for the season and that Paille & Novotny go down to Rochester.

I don't look at those 4 lines and see anyone I want to yank in favor of a bigger guy. Obviously, if a great "power forward" becomes available at the right price, we'd have to think about it (and get Darcy to listen to our input), but I like all 4 of those lines.

Again, if Pyatt plays well enough to take Mair's spot, it doesn't seem like we have a crying need for more size. I think it will come down to a competition for that spot between Pyatt and Pominville. Jason has played pretty well, but I think Lindy will be open to giving Pyatt a shot at it if he earns it in practice. I like the fact that we have enough talent for there to be a spirited competition for a winger spot on the 4th line -- and I think it will make both Pyatt and Pominville better.

The guy who I go back and forth on is Roy. He's only 5'9", 188 lbs. Although he has quite a bit of offensive talent, sometimes (like against the Canucks), he still seems to get knocked off his feet too easily. I have to assume this will get worse in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up losing some ice time, although I'm not sure who would center for Max and Vanek.

Bonus question for discussion: Does Marty get the start tonight? I'm guessing yes as I think Lindy will be looking for a spark.

Big test tonight for our boys. Calgary is in 1st place in their division and has 59 points (2 less than we have) and a vezina candidate. Kiprusoff has 24 wins this year.

Go Sabres.

Pyatt...we all can hope - when he comes back he needs to be consistent. He was playing big for a few games before his injury...but he seems to run hot and cold.

The argument about 4 lines is a good one and is certainly been helpful so far this season - a big key to our success...however...in games like the 'nucks there was very little 5 on 5 play. And then you look at t game like NJ when they called nothing...our guys got knocked around a lot too.

I am just concerned that the games will get tight in the playoffs at the refs - god only knows how they'll call the games - and you can play a ton of games in a very short period of time ... I think that having another guy with some size and the ability to skate would be helpful.

If Darcy does make a trade you would think that he's not going to be looking for another 5-10 speedy forward.

Archived