Don Cherry

Toddkaz

Guest Guest_toddkaz

who cares DELUCA they are canadian. We are the best their is no civil war it is proof we are stronger and better and the rest of the world is behind when it comes to hockey see you later player hater!

Are you trying to start a Civil War? Let me help.

Aren't most of the all time great Canadian players French Canadian. French Canadians who don't want to be considered part of Canada? Interesting. ;)

Lets not even go their.......... :angry:

That is a very complicated matter and when asked about a team Quebec as well as a team Canada, the response was a TEAM CANADA only.

Oh and here are some pretty good Canadian boys that were not from Quebec..........(Not that that should matter)

Gordie Howe

Bobby Hull

Bobby Orr

Wayne Gretzky

Mark Messier

Scott Stevens

Paul Coffey

That is a very complicated matter and when asked about a team Quebec as well as a team Canada, the response was a TEAM CANADA only.

Oh and here are some pretty good Canadian boys that were not from Quebec..........(Not that that should matter)

Gordie Howe

Bobby Hull

Bobby Orr

Wayne Gretzky

Mark Messier

Scott Stevens

Paul Coffey

That's it? ;)

Preaching hatred should never be tolerated on any level.

Archie Bunker was a huge TV character here in the states. But people knew he was a joke. That there was a social message behind his words. The point was to show how ignorant and ridiculas racist and bigots are.

Cherry believes the words he says which makes it not funny. The sadder thing is that there are people who believe and follow the words he says.

Don Cherry uses fear to prop himself up. "Europeans are taking jobs away from Canadian players" or "Europeans are softer then Canadians which makes us better then they are". People here this and it strikes at the core. The fear that the thing they love most is being done better by others. Which it is. It's why the NHL is going towards a more open European style of play.

Your the one being a jerk............Just because you don't seem to understand him, or a great many things for that matter.

Your the one being a jerk............Just because you don't seem to understand him, or a great many things for that matter.

What's to understand? He's a bigot who plays to the fears of simple minded fans.

You don't seem to have much of a defense regarding his character? Canada is such a great country. It's a shame so many try to hang on to such a sorry man with outdated hatefull ideas like Don Cherry. Canada should be better then that.

All right, I debated whether or not I should bring this up, but here goes.

Like I have said, I have some family that live in Canada. My niece and nephew have the option of being citizens of either the US or Canada as their mother grew up north of Albany. I am my nephew's favorite uncle. He is also very good at math. But when I brought up the idea that he could someday go to Harvard or MIT, he said he would never want to live in America because it is a bad place full of stupid people. He had never made the connection that his favorite uncle was American. After pushing a little further, he admitted no one in his class knows his mother is American. When I asked him why, he said that another kid is made fun of because his father is American.

I know my sister-in-law, who has a degree in computer science could not get a job because of her citizenship.

The reason I bring this up is that America is often criticized for its discrimination. But personally, what I have seen in Canada is much worse, be it against Americans, Newfies, French Canadians or the red mud people of PEI.

With all of that said, if Don Cherry, is simply quoting facts, he is in the right. If he stated it in a derogatory manner, sadly, it seems pretty consistant with the social norms of the Canadian culture.

Gordie Howe

Bobby Hull

Bobby Orr

Wayne Gretzky

Mark Messier

Scott Stevens

Paul Coffey

It's funny that on your list three of the players played with a European style.

I've never seen Forsberg play with a baby sitter like Gretzky did his whole career. The self proclaimed "Great One" also got a free ride on the coat tails of Jari Kurri. Kurri has a Cup without Wayne. What does Wayne have? Even Messier couldn't win in New York until Esa Tikkanen arrived.

Orr, Howe and Hull played when the NHL was 99% Canadian so you can throw them out.

Stevens was OK but he relied on a French Canadian to carry him and didn't we decide that French Canadians are not part of Canada?

:lol:

All right, I debated whether or not I should bring this up, but here goes.

Like I have said, I have some family that live in Canada. My niece and nephew have the option of being citizens of either the US or Canada as their mother grew up north of Albany. I am my nephew's favorite uncle. He is also very good at math. But when I brought up the idea that he could someday go to Harvard or MIT, he said he would never want to live in America because it is a bad place full of stupid people. He had never made the connection that his favorite uncle was American. After pushing a little further, he admitted no one in his class knows his mother is American. When I asked him why, he said that another kid is made fun of because his father is American.

I know my sister-in-law, who has a degree in computer science could not get a job because of her citizenship.

The reason I bring this up is that America is often criticized for its discrimination. But personally, what I have seen in Canada is much worse, be it against Americans, Newfies, French Canadians or the red mud people of PEI.

With all of that said, if Don Cherry, is simply quoting facts, he is in the right. If he stated it in a derogatory manner, sadly, it seems pretty consistant with the social norms of the Canadian culture.

I am more then interested in knowing what you consider "facts". <_<

I was referring to what Todd said about the 75% of the visor wearing people were in fact FC or European. That all.

That is my point exactly.

Cherry will use that as a sign of weakness. An opinion based on ignorance. I am pretty sure that most European leagues require face protection either a cage or visor. Players who grow up wearing them find it difficult to stop.

And by the way.

Doesn't Briere wear one? Is he soft?

I'm looking at a picture of Drury right now. What do I see? A visor? Well according to the rules set down by Don Cherry? Drury must be soft.

That is what people like Cherry do. Anyone can take any stat or bit of information and fit it to his cause.

75% percent. I guess Europeans are smarter. I think Brian Berard would agree.

That is my point exactly.

Cherry will use that as a sign of weakness. An opinion based on ignorance. I am pretty sure that most European leagues require face protection either a cage or visor. Players who grow up wearing them find it difficult to stop.

And by the way.

Doesn't Briere wear one? Is he soft?

I'm looking at a picture of Drury right now. What do I see? A visor? Well according to the rules set down by Don Cherry? Drury must be soft.

That is what people like Cherry do. Anyone can take any stat or bit of information and fit it to his cause.

75% percent. I guess Europeans are smarter. I think Brian Berard would agree.

Sounds like he was saying it then in a derogatory manner. It is sad that Canadians think that's OK. I just can't picture a comment like that in the US not getting the person who said it fired.

Unless of course, it was, that a white guy of generic ethnic background was - insert derogatory comment here - ...

It's funny that on your list three of the players played with a European style.

I've never seen Forsberg play with a baby sitter like Gretzky did his whole career. The self proclaimed "Great One" also got a free ride on the coat tails of Jari Kurri. Kurri has a Cup without Wayne. What does Wayne have? Even Messier couldn't win in New York until Esa Tikkanen arrived.

Orr, Howe and Hull played when the NHL was 99% Canadian so you can throw them out.

Stevens was OK but he relied on a French Canadian to carry him and didn't we decide that French Canadians are not part of Canada?

:lol:

You don't know much about Bobby Orr since he was also a very tough player and when he did drop the gloves he pounded a few players.

The same can be said of Coffey, you say European style because they were Superior skaters, LMAO...........Perhaps 2 of the fastest to ever lace up.

And Gretzky is Gretzky.

By the way Messier won cups in Edmonton without Gretzky and was the leader of the team even when Gretzky was on the team.

I know you will never understand Cherry, so forget about it.

You don't know much about Bobby Orr since he was also a very tough player and when he did drop the gloves he pounded a few players.

The same can be said of Coffey, you say European style because they were Superior skaters, LMAO...........Perhaps 2 of the fastest to ever lace up.

And Gretzky is Gretzky.

By the way Messier won cups in Edmonton without Gretzky and was the leader of the team even when Gretzky was on the team.

I know you will never understand Cherry, so forget about it.

I do understand Cherry.

But since his bigotry isn't pointed at you I guess it's easy to turn a blind eye. Or maybe you just don't understand him?

I do understand Cherry.

But since his bigotry isn't pointed at you I guess it's easy to turn a blind eye. Or maybe you just don't understand him?

He is not a politician, he only talks about hockey and I always take everything he says with a grain of salt, I am not gonna blindly take what he says as gospel, whatever hes says about Fr. Canadian players will never change my favourite hockey player of all time from being Gilbert Perreault...........So get off my nuts.

He is not a politician, he only talks about hockey and I always take everything he says with a grain of salt, I am not gonna blindly take what he says as gospel, whatever hes says about Fr. Canadian players will never change my favourite hockey player of all time from being Gilbert Perreault...........So get off my nuts.

Maybe you don't? Some do. Which is the sad thing.

Guys, Don Cherry is there to entertain, bring ratings, and give his view on the game of hockey. The guy is not malicious and has some off the wall beliefs. He's a Canadian who loves "Canadian boys" and the Canadian style of play. Europeans, historically have played a softer brand of hockey and DC has called it out.

I for one, when i lived in Buffalo, tuned in religiously to Coaches Corner. The outrageous suits and his schtick with Ron McLean is humorous. He's not going Jimmy the Greek on anyone... so lets cool down.

Guys, Don Cherry is there to entertain, bring ratings, and give his view on the game of hockey. The guy is not malicious and has some off the wall beliefs. He's a Canadian who loves "Canadian boys" and the Canadian style of play. Europeans, historically have played a softer brand of hockey and DC has called it out.

I for one, when i lived in Buffalo, tuned in religiously to Coaches Corner. The outrageous suits and his schtick with Ron McLean is humorous. He's not going Jimmy the Greek on anyone... so lets cool down.

I will disagree with you.

Just because he doesn't go the black/white route doesn't make it any less offensive.

DELUCA you say you understand cherry??? But you don't

Bigotry is not in Don Cherry's Vocabulary so understand that.

He doesn't offend because he doesn't favour anyone. The fake world aside, everyone crying about their rights, he speaks only hockey and what he knows. And that is not bigotry he is not a politician nor does he want to be. His world his hockey and he speaks truth. He only offends you becuase you cry for your rights.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152087&hubname=nhl

here read this. He doesn't want to listen to poeple crying about their rights. ie Criminals

I am going to guess your point wasn't to show what an idiot Cherry is? Which you did.

Maybe you should stick to topics you know about. From reading your posts I can't imagine what they would be.

It is apparent that you share Cherry's outdated views spawned from ignorance. Which is sad since I hate to see anyone burdened with such ignorance.

It's 2006? You would hope that bigotry would be something of the past. Like the qoute from 'Cool Hand Luke'...."There are some people you just can't reach".

Archived