Don Cherry

Toddkaz

Some of us think Don Cherry is a "Moron".

Cherry came out and said only French Canadian and Europeans where Visors.

This makes him a Bigot?

People where very upset......then their was a post in the paper, a survey. 75% of NHLers that wear visors are in fact europeans or french canadians. Is he a bigot or just knows the facts?

He's a moron who got hit in the head too many times in the old helmetless days.

It's stupid NOT to wear a visor. Ask Bryan Berard.

And ask yourself this: what proportion of the league is European and French Canadian these days? Probably not 75%, but I'd wager it's not that low. The Sabres themselves are 60% European/French Canadian. The Rangers? 64%. The Canadiens? 73%. Most teams have at least nine or ten Euros/French on their roster and many have more.

So the most you can say is that MORE French and Euros wear visors than do Americans and other Canadians. You can't say that "only French and Euros" wear them, or even that most do.

And ask yourself this: what proportion of the league is European and French Canadian these days? Probably not 75%, but I'd wager it's not that low. The Sabres themselves are 60% European/French Canadian. The Rangers? 64%. The Canadiens? 73%. Most teams have at least nine or ten Euros/French on their roster and many have more.

So the most you can say is that MORE French and Euros wear visors than do Americans and other Canadians. You can't say that "only French and Euros" wear them, or even that most do.

He's an entertainer, thus the costumes. Don't take him seriously.

Visor...who needs a visor. They are as useless as a goalie mask. :lol:

lol the guy is very excentric... especially with those stupid suits... ive never been a big fan of his but meh... Lets face it... Hockey Night in Canada isn't the same without Ron Mclean and Don Cherry... heck... one of canada's biggest national conflicts was... do we fire Ron Mclean or do we keep him... obviously the people spoke... that conflict runs a close 2nd only to WWII.... ;)

Cherry is a Bigot because he thrives in reduces people to countries of origins instead of judging them on their merits as a person or citizen. A player like Bertuzzi is held in high esteem while Europeans are soft and lazy. Yet I haven't seen any Europeans jumping players from behind and crippling them, ending their careers and their dreams.

Cherry is a voice from an era when racism and bigotry were accepted. He is like the crotchety old timer at the end of the bar who blames his problems on the Blacks, Hispanics or those GD Asians.

If Cherry would shed his hatred and take a good look he might just like what he sees. Fast easy flowing skaters with great talent and attention to the fundamentals that is unparalleled. It is by no mistake that the best player in the game today is Forsberg. The greatest goalie to ever play was Hasek and the Greatest team to ever play was the old USSR Red Army.

I don't hate Don Cherry. I feel sorry for him. He is a sad old man defined by his hatred. :(

Cherry is a Bigot because he thrives in reduces people to countries of origins instead of judging them on their merits as a person or citizen. A player like Bertuzzi is held in high esteem while Europeans are soft and lazy. Yet I haven't seen any Europeans jumping players from behind and crippling them, ending their careers and their dreams.

Cherry is a voice from an era when racism and bigotry were accepted. He is like the crotchety old timer at the end of the bar who blames his problems on the Blacks, Hispanics or those GD Asians.

If Cherry would shed his hatred and take a good look he might just like what he sees. Fast easy flowing skaters with great talent and attention to the fundamentals that is unparalleled. It is by no mistake that the best player in the game today is Forsberg. The greatest goalie to ever play was Hasek and the Greatest team to ever play was the old USSR Red Army.

I don't hate Don Cherry. I feel sorry for him. He is a sad old man defined by his hatred. :(

A swing and a miss............. :P

I couldn't agree more. He is a bufoon. His blanket statements on Euros and Frenchies are way out dated. Are some of them soft, sure. Are some of them rugged as all hell, absolutely.

It reminds me of the old timers not buying Toyota's or Honda's because of their poor quality. Yeah, that was 30 years ago. Currently they are among the industry leaders in quality. GD asians. :P

Okay.....face it he is doing his job. He is an entertainer and makes money off it. Which DELUCA for not liking the guy you seem to have a very in depth opinion about him :huh:

As for Europeans well do most of them disappear in the playoffs or not???

Where was Sundin? Mogilny? Satan? just to name a few lets face it when the going gets tough they fold more then the average north american.

DELUCA you are not very educated if you think breaking down a mans origin is being a bigot. Their is a lot you can learn from where a man is from and where he has been. But I guess in Deluca's world we are all gods children. :blink:

He is smarter than me and you he is more influential then me and you and he knows more then me and you DELUCA....oh wait I guess you are negotiating your NBC nhl TV show right now?? :huh:

Funny you feel sorry for him and he doesn't even know you exist I guess you can always measure up a mans success by how far he has gotten in life. I guess Cherry has don pretty poor for himself I feel sorry for that rich bastard too. :huh:

Okay.....face it he is doing his job.  He is an entertainer and makes money off it.  Which DELUCA for not liking the guy you seem to have a very in depth opinion about him  :huh:

As for Europeans well do most of them disappear in the playoffs or not???

Where was Sundin? Mogilny? Satan? just to name a few lets face it when the going gets tough they fold more then the average north american.

DELUCA you are not very educated if you think breaking down a mans origin is being a bigot.  Their is a lot you can learn from where a man is from and where he has been.  But I guess in Deluca's world we are all gods children.  :blink:

He is smarter than me and you he is more influential then me and you and he knows more then me and you DELUCA....oh wait I guess you are negotiating your NBC nhl TV show right now?? :huh:

Funny you feel sorry for him and he doesn't even know you exist I guess you can always measure up a mans success by how far he has gotten in life.  I guess Cherry has don pretty poor for himself I feel sorry for that rich bastard too. :huh:

Being popular with a small segment of the world's population makes you right?

I believe new levels of ignorance are being reached on these boards.

Have you ever heard of Forsberg, Hasek or Lindstrom? Where was the goalie that carried the Tampa Bay Lightning from again? Isn't this years top rookie from Russia? I guess Max, Kotilik and Hecht are all from Bramton Ontario?

And by the way. Judging a man on anything other then his character does make you a bigot. To stereo type players because of their birth place does make you a bigot. It's what a bigot is. You can't be stupid enough to believe bigotry is only a black/white thing?

"DELUCA for not liking the guy you seem to have a very in depth opinion about him :huh: "

It's called taking the time to learn about the things in which you speak of. It's a great thing to be able to discuss a topic and formulate an opinion from an educated point of view. I suggest you try it sometimes.

Please. By all means finish you thought. <_<

He is loved in Canada, so leave him alone and remember he is an entertainer..........He is actually quite funny most of the time, and he is of an older generation and he is entitled to his opinion.........Plus hockey is his life and he sticks up for a lot of underdogs during his shows, including the Sabres......... B-)

DELUCA you name 5 europeans to the 1000 that have played in the NHL in the last 20 years I could name 10 to your 1 for each one that folded in the playoffs. Oh that tampa guy was Lecavieler, Richards and St. Louis!!!!!!!! Canada Canada Canada!

It is the truth Europeans and French Canadians are weaker on the boards, in front of the net and in a fight. All of the best tough guys grinders and 2 way forwards are north american and that is the TRUTH!

DELUCA you name 5 europeans to the 1000 that have played in the NHL in the last 20 years I could name 10 to your 1 for each one that folded in the playoffs. Oh that tampa guy was Lecavieler, Richards and St. Louis!!!!!!!! Canada Canada Canada!

It is the truth Europeans and French Canadians are weaker on the boards, in front of the net and in a fight. All of the best tough guys grinders and 2 way forwards are north american and that is the TRUTH!

OK. Go ahead then.

He is loved in Canada, so leave him alone and remember he is an entertainer..........He is actually quite funny most of the time, and he is of an older generation and he is entitled to his opinion.........Plus hockey is his life and he sticks up for a lot of underdogs during his shows, including the Sabres......... B-)

Preaching hatred should never be tolerated on any level.

Archie Bunker was a huge TV character here in the states. But people knew he was a joke. That there was a social message behind his words. The point was to show how ignorant and ridiculas racist and bigots are.

Cherry believes the words he says which makes it not funny. The sadder thing is that there are people who believe and follow the words he says.

Don Cherry uses fear to prop himself up. "Europeans are taking jobs away from Canadian players" or "Europeans are softer then Canadians which makes us better then they are". People here this and it strikes at the core. The fear that the thing they love most is being done better by others. Which it is. It's why the NHL is going towards a more open European style of play.

Archived